Plwood | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Plwood

Steve

George. . . all I have to go by is my own experience. . .

I was talking to Keith and Seedtick with Bob at the Rendezvous and I had asked them about air bubbles when they applied their saturation coat and I learned from them and Bob that if I applied the saturation coat to wood that had been warmed up I wouldn't have as much problem with air bubbles. . .(Maybe one of those guys could explain the mechanics of that better. . . I just know it works). . . When I got home, I went ahead and set up a piece of ply (some 1/4 inch stuff I had laying around) and let it warm up over night. . . the next morning I applied a sat coat made up 1 to 2 and acetone to thin it. Applying it, I not only avoided the air bubbles I would usually get but I noticed it penetrated a deeper. . .

I also know that I have used an epoxy mixture in preparing spalted woods for turning. . . I suspect that that would be close to the soft woods that Chuck spoke of.

As far as penetrating the glue with the epoxy. . . most glues used by the plywood makers are either set/hardened by heat or a radio wave of some odd sort. . . I understand that plywood makers have various standards, as Jack pointed out. . . still it is much like the debate of whether to use Elmer's white school glue, tightbond I, II, or III, epoxy, or gorilla glue for that matter when building a strip canoe or kayak. . . there, the glue merely holds the strips until the epoxy and fiberglass are applied. . .

When I applied the sat coat to that piece of really warm 1/4 ply, it soaked into the ply deep. . . that's all I can tell you. . .

My use of the word override was an error on my part. . . I believe, like Chuck (I think), that the epoxy FORTIFIES and adds to
the strength when a properly applied saturation coat is applied. It's just up to the boat builder if he wants to stand out in the shop one cold blistery winter's morn in his skivvies after leaving the heat on up high all night to warm up the boat for applying a PROPER saturation coat.........

Now. . . all this is just my opinion. . . there are those who are more expert than I am . . .

Steve

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
gbinga said:
One of us has got to do an experiment with the saturation coats on plywood. I remain skeptical about whether anything is going to saturate past the glue line under the face ply. I just suspect that the glue line is going to stop anything from soaking past it. ...
I suspect you're right.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The heat expands the air in the wood and the cold air contracts it.

SO.. If you put epoxy on the cold wood and then it warms up during the day ... Guess what ??? .. You will have air bubbles. Where is you do the opposite :roll: .... and put the epoxy on the wood when it is warm and the weather (Surrounding temperature) is cooling down you will have penetration and no bubbles.

Prime example is this ... The wood is in the shop all day , the temp gets up near 100 then evening comes along and the temp starts dropping , now is the time to saturate the wood. As the temp goes down the epoxy goes into the wood.
Guess you could call it third grade science. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
See the WEST system site for information on penetration and its effects on plywood. They have done extensive testing on epoxy/wood combinations including different species and types of plywood.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
And here is an answer to one of Ronnie's questions from a while ago: "NOTE: Epoxy Resin can be used over Polyester Resin. In fact, epoxy adheres better to cured polyester than polyester resin does and is a superior material for repairing fiberglass boats."

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm trying to locate the one web site I found a while ago that made the statement that epoxy will not saturate the glue in the plywood but will saturate the wood down to the glue or about 1/16 of an inch in unless it is thinned then it will saturate in further. Plus the thinning of the epoxy , weakens the total strength of the epoxy by the degree/amount of the thinner used. But since it is adding/increasing strength to the wood while protecting it from water damage if punctured , cut or scraped. Any addition is better then none.

The way I see it , the wood I use is 1/8th inch so by doing both sides the wood is saturated all the way to the glue so the boat is not a plywood boat it is a epoxy-composite glued-epoxy-wood boat , then glassed. :wink:

Now if I can locate that web site , it was some professor ( academic) or something's site on epoxy saturation that I stumbled up on.

Chuck.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
oldsparkey said:
The heat expands the air in the wood and the cold air contracts it.

SO.. If you put epoxy on the cold wood and then it warms up during the day ... Guess what ??? .. You will have air bubbles. Where is you do the opposite :roll: .... and put the epoxy on the wood when it is warm and the weather (Surrounding temperature) is cooling down you will have penetration and no bubbles.

Prime example is this ... The wood is in the shop all day , the temp gets up near 100 then evening comes along and the temp starts dropping , now is the time to saturate the wood. As the temp goes down the epoxy goes into the wood.
Guess you could call it third grade science. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

That's the explanation I would have expected. You want the wood to be cooling while the epoxy soaks in and sets. Makes sense to me.

Not that I have all that much sense... :D

George

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Actually "plywood boat building goes back a bit further. :wink: Blasphemy indeed!

I saw this one yesterday dating back to 1872. This one is a double layered right angle plywood of sorts. So yes Sparky it was a ways back, even though your mind maybe failing too, it was probably along the time of your own example. :lol: Look closely and you will see the longitual planks on the outside while the inside was thwart planked to the hull lines.. This boat also needed no fiberglass or goop to make it water ready either.

DSC05723.jpg

DSC05725.jpg

DSC05737.jpg

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Here is another one that the guy had dating back to 1878. This is probably a bit off topic in this thread, but really neat. I would think that the centerboard would be hard to operate and adjust in shallow water though.

DSC05730.jpg

DSC05728.jpg

DSC05727.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
There last statement makes me wounder about what they had to say........ We will continue to research this subject and publish our findings in Epoxyworks.

All I know is that it works for me. Saturation , then a light sanding , glass and epoxy. That gives the epoxy with the glass some epoxy to bond to that has soaked into the wood. Not just the wood under the glass as in putting the glass on the boat and then epoxy without the undercoat of epoxy on the wood.

Chuck.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
oldsparkey said:
All I know is that it works for me. Saturation , then a light sanding, glass and epoxy.

Yeah, That's what I wished I had done with my pirogue. It makes so much sense to do it that way. That's one reason I want to build a new boat: I believe I can build a better boat than my first attempt.