ply | SouthernPaddler.com

ply

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
My build log on Jem's site had a bloke "Ismellsmoke" who posted from Texas Qld also. http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/view ... 1&start=20

He was deciding whether or not to build a Laker or Freedom. Don't know if or not he got around to a build but Texas Qld is not that big a place. You might even get a clue from reading the posts as to the identity of this neighbour of yours. I rekcon he would have at least got around to checking out supplies.
I bought 4mm construction ply the outside veneers of which were not too bad.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Johno, opinions vary on this subject. Quality, however, doesn't. I buy the best plywood I can find when building a craft to carry me out to deep waters. Think about it.

I can't quite see your plywood (standing up on chair here, stretching S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G-G-G-G ......BANG!
darn, I fell off the chair) :wink:

Other builders in Oz can surely aim you at sources better than we who are anchored in 'bamaland.

dawallace45

Johno

If you want good marine ply you can get it from BoatCraft Pacific , 46 Chetwynd St. Loganholme Qld 4129 , they also have all the epoxy , fibreglass and such you need for boat building , check out their site , http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php , I've been using them for years

I haven't come across the Chinese stuff so I can't comment on it , I use the Pacific Maple and love it , they call it Pink Marine plywood now , it's beautiful stuff , from what I've seen good gaboon is great but there is some very bad stuff sold under the same name

I've used both West System and Boatcote and I prefer Boatcote , I think Mick Prefers West system but don't know if he's used Boatcote , Boatcote is much cheaper from my experience than West , Boatcraft is also the cheapest place for Fibreglass that I've found so far

You can order from them over the internet and pay to get it delivered or just go for a drive down with your trailer , I think it's only about 300 km and we both know when you live in the bush that's not far , I've gone further than that for groceries

David

islandpiper

When you get your boat done, and it's all loaded up and you are off to the back country....and about 2 Km off shore, and the wind picks up, and the chop starts breaking over the gunwales.....then, ask yourself how important the extra $10 Aus was when you were shopping for wood.

I made my first three pirogues of 5 MM luan. The next one will be 1/4" Fir ply.

I can't swim far with my dutch oven under one arm.

Piper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
We ll after building a few boats and stripping the last one ,I want use ply at all.
I have control of the quality then and it doesnt take but 3 or four hours more and is much cheaper and lighter.
Ron
Strip stitch and glue .I love it

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
don't poo poo plywood as not being boat building quality until you've used some real marine plywood.

That $10 a sheet stuff was never intended for use to build boats

OTOH, i am glad to see you've converted to solid wood, i've been in that corner for years

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
OTOH - on the other hand

here's a flat panel of 1/4" X 1" strips flared to 37 degrees

DSC06126.jpg

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Oh I have used marine ply bye the pallet load ,it has better quality control than the laun, but I have seen bad sheets of it also.
Built some good boats from luan that have been hammered hard on this river and they are still going.so I cant knock it.
The strips just let me control the whole quality of the boats I build,a little more work but lighter and In my opion stronger once finished.
Johono
The strip panels will take a lot more twist than you think they will,but if you had trouble just glass it before assembling it.
I didnt have too.
Most of my boats are from luan and polyester fiber glass,I call them Walley world boats, because on the first 4 or five they were completely built from supplies from there , polyester, small pieces of cloth and sand paper. They do a lot of hard miles ,completed races ,several hundred miles on the Brazos,bounced of a lot of rocks and drug up on concrete ramps and gravel bars. The worst problems I have had with any boat was built from Mernita ply which was suppose to be marine grade ,it was junk!!! I think it depends on the builder and his expertise more than the grade of wood.
Bet Seedtick could build a boat out of twiggs and make it look good and float.
Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Johno,

Mate, I haven't used the boatcraft Pacific epoxy so can't really comment on it. I use only West Systems 105 resin and 207 special purpose hardener and swear by it. I get mine from ATL Composites on the Gold Coast and their shipping and handling fees are very reasonable. Scott Alexander is the bloke to ask for if you decide to use them.

http://www.atlcomposites.com.au/atl_composites/

Re the Ply, while in brisbane, nip around to Australian Wood panels

http://www.awpanels.com.au/

they are good blokes and I buy my ply exculseively from them. their prices are the best that i have found and the last lot I got from them included a couple of sheets of their 4mm luan stuff. i ordered it just to have a look. I was so impressed with the quality, that I will be buying it exclusively now as well.