Plywood for rough use boat | SouthernPaddler.com

Plywood for rough use boat

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Anyone have any experience with Southern Yellow Pine (SYP) for a pirogue or similar craft built with the stitch and glue method? I have done several with luan and/or fir plywood, but none with SYP.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bear, never used it in stitch and glue method, but my last pirogue was made with it and I'm sold on the stuff. Much better finish and almost no defects in the outer plies. I've had an un-painted small model outside in the elements for almost 3 years and no rot, very little warpage and one 6" x 1/2" delamination around a split. It doesn't check near as much as fir ply.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Regular sanded plywood. Almost 3 years in South Louisiana elements with comparatively little damage. I'll never use fir marine ply again if I can help it.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
jdupre' said:
Bear, never used it in stitch and glue method, but my last pirogue was made with it and I'm sold on the stuff. Much better finish and almost no defects in the outer plies. I've had an un-painted small model outside in the elements for almost 3 years and no rot, very little warpage and one 6" x 1/2" delamination around a split. It doesn't check near as much as fir ply.

Joey
Thanks for your answer. I was thinking of using the SYP plywood as it is plugged on all layers for use as underlayment. I have always covered the boats with a layer of 4 or 6 oz. glass and epoxy. No issues with either fir or luan, even when a strap broke at 70 mph on the highway. Slowed to 55 before the boat flew off the trailer. Damage was limited to the starboard bow on a mouseboat. Only needed a patch about 6x6 inches and some glass repair over that to be good as new. Also I only tie the boats down now, no ratchet straps.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Always do a check for voids. We received some marine mahogany ply at the marina where I worked in the 70's that had voids in the inner plies.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Well the boat build is off the table for now. I have gone over to the dark side of the force and purchased an O'Day DaySailer in fiberglass. 16' 9" long sloop rigged,will float in seven inches of water. Should be great for fishing and coastal cruising.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Good on ya, Gerry! A new endeavor!

I lusted after an O'Day. But, being in the Air Fotce at the time, I couldn't depend on remaining around water. While in Okinawa, I did sail little stuff a little bit, but nothing like I dreamed about.

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
How to check for voids?

I see that advice often and understand why it's important, but not sure how to accomplish it. Unless the void is on the outside and presumably repaired with a "football", how would you know there's a void without cutting into it?

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
I just decided to get on the water with something I could overnight aboard if need be. Mostly going to be a fishing platform, most sailing will be to and from sites. This bay was at one time the largest fresh water fishery in the world.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Re: How to check for voids?

texastom said:
I see that advice often and understand why it's important, but not sure how to accomplish it. Unless the void is on the outside and presumably repaired with a "football", how would you know there's a void without cutting into it?
Most will be difficult to find. The best way I have found is to flex the sheet slightly and sight and feel for flat spots. If it looks flat tap lightly with a hammer or mallet to see if it is solid inside.
The plugs are fine except for the face of an appearance sheet. Voids can be repaired from the back side by making a small hole or holes in the outer layer and filling with epoxy. That is best done after the sheet is in place if it is to be sharply curved. Pieces like a pirogue side or bottom sheet can be filled before or after because they are not sharply curved like some kayak panels.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I operate at the other end of the sectrum. While some pride them selves on how cheap (as opposed to just inexpensive) a material they can get away with to build a boat, I use the most expensive. Mahogony BS1088 is the only material I've ever used.

Yes, this is likely to sprout a lot of channel-clogging talk about "how little I spent, and how long it's lasted." Some admire cheap; others don't.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Yes, this is likely to sprout a lot of channel-clogging talk about "how little I spent, and how long it's lasted." Some admire cheap; others don't.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ya don't have to buy a Rolls Royce when a Volkswagen will do the same thing. A true artisan can turn a Volkswagen into a Rolls with knowledge and skill. As far as either vehicle lasting that usually is determined by the care , consideration , respect , lack of deliberate abuse along with the proper maintenance of it.
PS. Nothing lasts forever , eventually everything wears ( fades ) away. ( Even Us ) :roll: