Pork Roast , ( Home made Neffleys ) and canned Sauerkraut. | SouthernPaddler.com

Pork Roast , ( Home made Neffleys ) and canned Sauerkraut.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I thought I posted this before but .... Where was I :?:

Had a good supper tonight , easy to do and down right good.

Take a Pork Roast (boneless) center cut and trim any fat off it. Now add or toss it ( your choice ) :lol: into a crock pot.
As it is resting there add a can of sauerkraut ( I like the Silver Floss one ) and smear the kraut around the sides of the roast , while leaving some over the top of it.

Add about one cup of water and then turn the pot on low. Let it cook all day. ( I start mine around 10 in the morning and we eat around 6 that evening.)

For the Neffleys.........

When everything smells good take a big pot and fill it about 1/2 way with water , add some salt ( Not a lot ).

While that water gets to boiling take a bowl and add 2 cups of flour to it , crack in 4 eggs and season with a slight amount of salt an pepper .... Mix the whole mess up and if you need to add a little water so it is about like a really thick pancake batter. You have just made some raw Neffleys to go with your meal.

Spoon in glops of the batter to the boiling water , stir it (gently ) and when one set is done , spoon them out into a bowl and continue cooking the rest till all the Neffleys are cooked. ( Neffleys are nothing more then a egg and flour noodle.)

It helps when you spoon it in each time to rinse the spoon in the boiling water to clean it before repeating the process. ( Personally I use a three tine fork to do this , you can see why I said not runny batter. )

When everything is done , place each item in a bowl and the meat on a platter , don't try cutting it ... it just falls apart. :D

Some boiled potatoes or mashed are good with this as a side dish.

After everyone is full then take the Neffleys , Meat and some of the juice from the crock pot and mix it all together , let it cool and put it in the frig..... The next day it will be twice as good. :wink:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I'm with Bob.....Never heard of Neffleys? Kniffles, maybe that's it? They sound like drop dumplings or Spaetzle recipe. I make those for soup and dumplings for pork N' kraut on New Years similar to Chuckles. (I use white wine or apple juice instead of water.)
There has to be a Bazillion recipes for dumplings and/or spaetzle recipes and even a spaetzle machine like I have.

http://tinyurl.com/5zfdax
Spaetzle Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

3/4 cup milk

Stir together the flour and salt. Combine eggs and milk; stir into the flour mixture. Pour the batter into the Spaetzle Hex and place it on the lip of a large saucepan or pot (with a diameter of at least 20 cm or 8 in) of boiling, salted water. Turn the crank with one hand, keeping the Spaetzle Hex gently in place with the other.

Take care to let the extruded pieces of dough (the Spaetzle) fall into the slightly bubbling water and let them cook for approximately 2-3 minutes. Generally, Spaetzle swimming on the surface are sufficiently cooked and may be gathered with a large slotted spoon, drained and placed into a serving dish.

German Dumplings (Spaetzle or Kniffles) for Soup or Saute

Ingredients

* 2 eggs
* 1 1/2 teaspoons water
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup flour

Directions

Mix these together until sticky.

Drop into bubbling soup or stew, broth or water. (see below for ideas).

Dumplings will rise to the surface as they cook; remove from liquid with a slotted spoon (if sauteing in another pan); set aside in a bowl (keep warm).

MAKE THE DUMPLINGS #1: This method results in very small, stringy-ish dumplings and is great for soups or stews. Spoon several tablespoons of batter into a colander, then with the back of the spoon--press the batter through the holes into the bubbling liquid.
METHOD #2: This method forms larger dumpling pieces (dime & quarter size) and is great for soups or stews, too -- but especially good if you want to saute the dumplings afterwards (more on that in a minute). Using a teaspoon and butter knife, scoop up a spoonful of batter, then use the knife to cut off little dibs and dabs, using the knife to also push the dibs into the hot liquid. If the knife or spoon gets messy, just dip into the hot liquid.

SERVING IDEAS: We love these in chicken-dumpling soup (use your regular chicken soup recipe -- skip the egg noodles and make these dumplings instead). OR scoop out the larger dumplings (Method #2), and saute in butter or olive oil along with kielbasa or other sausage and LOTS of onion ring slices. OR saute some fresh veggies, then add the dumplings -- heaven!

VARIATIONS: Add several pinches of your favorite herbs along with the flour to enhance the soup, stew or saute dish.

http://tinyurl.com/5v7rh6

Here is one you'll like Chuckles.

Sausage Bake
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons dried dill or mixed herbs (like dried chives, parsley, and basil)
4 eggs, beaten
1-3/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 pound kielbasa or other smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch angled slices
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper, and dill. Make a well in the center and pour in the beaten eggs and milk; mix by hand just until smooth. Fill a large pot half-full with water and add the remaining 1 teaspoon salt; bring the water to a hard, rolling boil over high heat.
2. Over the pot, with a wide, slotted spoon, scoop out a spoonful of the batter and shake it lightly until it breaks into strands that fall into the water; the pieces of batter will congeal to form spaetzle.
3. When the spaetzle float to the top of the water, remove them with a clean slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels; repeat until no batter remains. Place the spaetzle in a 9" x 13" baking dish and set aside.
4. In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat; add the onion, and saute for 7 to 8 minutes, or until soft and golden. Add the kielbasa to the skillet and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Spoon the kielbasa mixture over the spaetzle and sprinkle with the Swiss cheese. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese is melted.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I had a deprived childhood , my parents were Yankees from some place called Wisconsin. Darn good thing they moved down here or I would of been Yankee-faied. ( Same as brain washed) :lol:

I guess that is the reason noodles were always those flat things made with flour and eggs while dumplings were made with baking powder , flour and eggs and nice and fluffy like little clouds.
They were usually done in a pressure cooker on top of a chicken that had been cooked in there. A person had to put some of that chicken gravy on them to keep them on the plate and not floating off to somewhere.

Grandmother was German and she always called the ones with the Pork Roast , Neffleys and made the same way I make them today , like a noodle but not flat , what ever shape the the glops of batter takes on when cooking in the water. :lol:

Different locations , different names for the same things but no matter how it is produced it still is some good chow. :D Like the Watermelon rind pickles that were really good with them. We would make several large batches every summer and can them in glass mason jars to have all year. They are really god but it took three days to make one batch.

Chuck.
YAK... I DO HAVE TO TRY that Sausage Bake .. That just sounds to , to , to good to not to.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
It iz hard ta beat a can of Sweet Sue chicken 'n dumplings.

Ain't bad when out camping or at home feeling lazy. Try doing it from scratch one time , you will really like the results. Main thing is there is a lot more chicken in it when done at home. They need to relabel those cans to dumplings and some chicken. :lol:
For a real treat serve it up over some toast , might have to add some water ( when cooking it ) since they pack the can so tight there is little liquid in it.

I always have a can of it along on a camping trip , might call it a tradition. :D

One thing I try not to take is the canned Beef Stew , that stuff reminds me more of ALPO ( for the dog ) then something for a person to have. Yes , I do have a can of it along at times... It all depends on how lazy I want to be when camping.

Use to take some of the Casselberrys BBQ Beef with me but the quality control on it ranks right down there with the canned beef stew.

Chuck.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
I hardly ever cook from a can, (tomatoes, broth, and mushroom, being notable exceptions), but this is a "recipe" I came up with in an emergency, And it's not at all bad.
One- large can of chicken breast, chunked up slightly.
Two- cans condensd chicken broth and one can of water.
One- small onion.
Two- cloves garlic.
A handful of frozen peas and carrots.
Bring to a boil.
Roll out the cheapest canned bicuits you can find, (The expensive ones are nasty in this application)
individually, to about a quarter inch thick, and cut into quarters.
Drop the biscuit pieces into the broth , slowly enough to keep the broth bubbling. (You may have to add a tad more water.)
Lots of black pepper.
After it simmers about six minutes, it's ready to eat.

And it's surprizingly good for an "out-of-a-can" recipe.

I use to use this same basic recipe, when back packing, using dehydrated onion and garlic, freeze dried peas and carrots, chicken broth cubes, and Pioneer biscuit mix. I augmented the biscuit mix with Sanalac dried milk, so I could just add water. I did carry the canned chicken, as I have never found a dried chicken worth carrying.
The can served as an extra pot when empty. My pot grabber worked on the can just as well as it did the pots.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That sounds really good but for one person I think I would have to cut it in half. Might say doubling my pleasure that way for a later meal.
Unless Bear and/or Mac are with me then it might be a little short on the groceries. :lol:

I will give it a try here at the house as you posted it and see about the amount it ends up with , I'm sure the flavor is great since all the good stuff is in there.
Besides I really like biscuits with a wet bottom from all the juice they cook in. That just makes them that much more good-er , as a buddy of mine would say when looking at some good chow. :D

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Ta me the breast meat haz the least flavor on the chicken....kinda like Crown Royal. I ate plenty a homemade chicken 'n dumplings. None beat Sweet Sue by that much, some didnt.

regards
bearridge

I am a great mayor; I am an upstanding Christian man; I am an intelligent man; I am a deeply educated man; I am a humble man. Marion Barry

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
B'rer Bear,
I agree every other part of a chicken tastes better than the breast. When I cook a whole chicken, I try to pawn the white meat off on my Little Darlin'. She believes that white meat has less calories than dark meat. The propaganda from dieticians that last twenty years or so has convinced a lot of people of that proposition. I, myself think it MAY have fewer calories, but the difference is negligable.
The reason I use canned breast, is because it's much more available.
I haven't seen any in years, but Sweet Sue used to have canned whole chicken. It was really good for a LOT of chicken and dumplings or chicken soup. Being canned bones and all, the broth was particularly rich.

(I was going to make a smart a$$ remark about the head and feet being missing from the " whole" chicken, but restrained myself. And that thought reminded me of my Cajun Mother-in-law, who loved boiled chicken feet. Much to the disgust of her eight children. :lol: )

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Singin' Jim,

Wait til Truthful Jack makes it back. This will start round 27 tween him 'n the High Sheriff over them little sausages frum Vienna. [It dont take much.] I dont know who iz ahead, but I dont trust either of 'em when it comes ta vittles. Wouldnt surprize me one bit if Jack loves grits 'n Chuck wont touch 'em. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Now you went and ... DONE IT... Ya let that secret out , Jeez never trust a secret to a Lawyer. Anyway you did not tell about Jack liking the Vienna's and Ritz with me liking them smoking oysters on saltines , or about Jack drinking Budweiser and me chasing the Scotch. :oops:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chicken and dumplings are an easy standard. Kraut and pork are another standard. (This time Chucky LIKED a crockpot; a month ago he was denigrating them. Go figure.)

Cheese and crackers, augmented with horseradish, are way too good to mess up by adding mystery meat.

Gritz, I had gritz on the way down to meet Jimmy Wingo. Cracker Barrel served them for breakfast in Tennessee. Gritty, lumpy glue. Kind of like epoxy with pulverized Styrofoam added - only not as good.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The wife likes to cook with the crock pot , this way she can sit back and stare at the boob tube while supper cooks , or go shopping.
I like to use the stove with a roaster and watch the stuff cook , adding more to it as time marches on.

The thing I really hate about the crock pot is the cleaning , that makes me dislike the crock pot a lot. The wife , I guess , feels the same since she always lets me clean it. :lol:

Not anymore , Following Jacks advise , I located some crock pot liners and one of these days will cook something in the pot and try one of the liners. Probably a beef roast ( I would lot rather do it in the oven so it gets nice and brown all over ) when the kids get down here for Christmas.

Chuck.

sackett

Sep 26, 2007
WARNING!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!Danger Will Robinson. DO NOT , I REPEAT DO NOT use self rising flour to make neffleys!!!!!!!!!! They'l swell right outta tha pot. Don't ask,ya really don't wanna know,ad b'sides,I ain't telling all.
I copied this post at he library when it was first posted,just got around to trying it a coupla weeks ago. What a mess! I beat my eggs,salted and peppered them,added a coupla shakes of Texas Pete hot sauce. Mixed my flour in ,added a little shot of water ta thin it all down some,and started a spooning'em inta the pot.OH NO WAIT WHAT TH??????????????? Them things started a growin,and afilling the pot, just wouldn't stop. Right over the top,and out they clume. All over the little two burner gas cooker I use here in WV, all over the counter,pastie boiling water,and things that looked like the blob that ate New Orleans. They just wouldn't stop growing.
Threw the whole thing in the yard,pot'n all,cleaned up most of the mess,and went ta bed --------hungry,and pi#$@&. Got more flour the next day and started over.I think the last time there was a disaster like this,wuz maybe the time that hotshot army general wuz gonna teach some plains Indians a good lesson on military tactics,what'uz his name, oh yeah mustard, or pie filling,no custard,no ,no it'uz custer,yeah that's him Mr Custer. I ain't ever seen such a mess...
My second attempt turned out much better,eggs mixed,"plain" flour ,seasons,a little water to thin,BINGO,beatiful,deeelicious dumplings cooked to perfectio. I find that a half batch is about right for me and the dog. Every batch is a little different though. This last batch,I cooked in the same water that I cooked some greens in. As the guy on the soup commercial says,"num yummy"