Pork Roast , ( Home made Neffleys ) and canned Sauerkraut. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Pork Roast , ( Home made Neffleys ) and canned Sauerkraut.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My Grandmother was German and she called them Nefflies , but any southern would call then dumplings , not the baking powder type that Mom would make in the pressure cooker but she was a Yankee from Wisconsin.

I like the ones that are left over ... They are put in with some of the shredded pork and Kraut and it's juice , stuck in the frig overnight and when reheated the next day ... some good eating since all the flavors have mingled and mixed together.
Yes... Regular flour and not self rising. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The wife wanted some rotten cabbage ( sauerkraut) with a good looking pork roast she picked up. That dam thing was a monster so I cut across the middle and now we have one half left in the frig. The other half has been cooking all day in the crock pot with the kraut.
Will make some smashed taters to have with it and make some Neffleys to put the pork and kraut over. To top it off I will fry up some cracker crumbs in butter to sprinkle over the taters and the rest as something with a crunch to it. A salty , buttery crunch. :D

Chuck.
PS. The wife cooked up two loaves of Pumpkin Bread and some dark Chocolate Brownies so we will have some of that with it or as desert.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Chuck,
Let's see if I'm understanding this right. You cook the dumplins in plain water and dip them out when done? Then you put them on a plate to go with your other fixins? Is that correct? :?
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
Chuck,
Let's see if I'm understanding this right. You cook the dumplins in plain water and dip them out when done? Then you put them on a plate to go with your other fixins? Is that correct? :?
Bob

When they come to the top ,( slightly salted boiling water ) I let them sit for a minute or two more to cook , then with a slotted spoon remove them to a large bowl. Add the rest to the cooking pot and do the same thing . When they are all have been transferred over to the bowl then I add some of the juice from the roast with them , a quick toss and they are ready.

Get a plate and then go down the line putting the meat on the plate , then the Neffleys and the kraut over what you want. Some mashed spuds on the side with a pat of butter and you are set.

What is left over , the meat , neffleys , juice and kraut gets tossed into a bowl and mixed up. Then in the frig and those left overs are even better. The spuds are keep separate.
I have been known to cook this up , bag and freeze individual servings of it for camping trips..... Reheat and eat. Dam good meal in the cooler weather while out camping. :D

The neffleys are nothing more then some normal flour , some salt and pepper and one cup of flour I add two eggs , a little water to make a thick batter . not solid and not runny , just right. Sort of like a thick cake or pancake batter.
I make a double batch. If it will stick to a fork it is just right , as you drop a fork full in the water dip the fork in the water and go back for more , the hot water keeps the batter from sticking to the fork , or spoon.

Chuck.....
Beef Stew , Chili , Vega soup , This Pork & Kraut Dinner and Chicken Noodle Soup.... When I make it I make a good batch so I can take a bowl and measure it out , put it in a zip lock , roll it , seal it , freeze it for future use. Either here at the house if I get lazy and do not want to cook or for me out camping. All of them are a lot better later on. :D

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Thanks Chuck,
Guess I didn't misunderstand. Gota say though, that's the first time I've ever heard of eating dumplins in or on anything except for chicken and dumplins. I like em enough to eat em by their self :D
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
Thanks Chuck,
Guess I didn't misunderstand. Gota say though, that's the first time I've ever heard of eating dumplins in or on anything except for chicken and dumplins. I like em enough to eat em by their self :D
Bob

Dumplings to me are the baking powder ones Mom use to make , they were the size and just a fluffy as a cloud. She would do them in a pressure cooker after the chicken was cooked , Cool the pressure off , open the top and then drop the batter in , reseal it and hit the pressure , man they were something really good. You had to put gravy on then to keep them from floating off the plate. :D

I think of the neffleys as more of a noodle but a southerner would call them a dumpling like the flat dumplings you find with chicken at most restaurants , more like a thick noodle. We also make the thick flat kind ( roll them out with a rolling pin ) to have with a beef roast and with some of that good beef , milk gravy over them , "O" Boy some good eating.

Like you... I don't care what they are called as long as I have some on my plate to enjoy.

Chuck.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
oldsparkey said:
Dumplings to me are the baking powder ones Mom use to make , they were the size and just a fluffy as a cloud. She would do them in a pressure cooker after the chicken was cooked , Cool the pressure off , open the top and then drop the batter in , reseal it and hit the pressure , man they were something really good.

Ditto. That's what my mom made with chicken sometimes and with pork roast and kraut other times. That's what I normally associate with "dumplings". Fluffy, like a wet biscuit. (which sounds horrible but they are really very good - just the way Chuck describes them)

Then there are the denser, more noodle like "dumplings" like you get in a can of chicken and dumplings. Also good, particularly if they are home made.

"Dumplings" are confusing. You never really know what a person is fixing to serve you regardless of where they grew up.

George