Power Yak by Glen-L (next Adventure) | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Power Yak by Glen-L (next Adventure)

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
I don't think it will draw enough to push, it will stall, not enough pitch on the prop or rpm. It takes a jet ski type setup to work in a tube like you are talking (to pull and push)....Are you trying to make the prop weed and rock free or what?

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
woodman said:
I don't think it will draw enough to push, it will stall, not enough pitch on the prop or rpm. It takes a jet ski type setup to work in a tube like you are talking (to pull and push)....Are you trying to make the prop weed and rock free or what?
Woodman,
I am not saying you are wrong.
My thinking is that as long as the trolling motor is not restricted and can (pull) the amount of water it needs it should work.
A Jet ski uses an impellor (pushes) and pumps the water out.
Thinking of doing this to protect the propellor from any damage.
The bottom of the boat is designed to be basically flat all the way to the aft. The motor is suppose to be installed just behind were the skeg stops. About 3' of aft.
I just do not like the idea of the motor being lower than the bottom of the boat.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
swampwood said:
<SNIP> Thinking of doing this to protect the propeller from any damage. <SNIP> I just do not like the idea of the motor being lower than the bottom of the boat.
To get full access to water for propulsion, the prop is best positioned down, under the boat. Props on electric trolling motors a designed to remain weed free, and do a pretty good job of that, too. For absolute protection of the prop, leave the motor on the dock and use a paddle. :wink:

I mounted my fish locator (think sonar) in the bow to pick up indications of underwater obstacles BEFORE the motor got there. At slow speeds, it gives you some time to take correction action. As I remember, motors pivot upwards when they strike an object. If mounted in a well instead of outside the boat (on a side mount or on a transom) this swinging action may be restricted?

You may want to consider scrapping the idea of an electric trolling motor and go for an impeller drive?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
swampwood said:
I may have to mount it on the back.
Thanks

http://www.bobcatboats.com/products.html
This set up will work for cruising. One owner I spoke to said it didn't hang up too much, but you had to get out of the boat to remove weeds or line wrapped around the prop.

http://www.watermoccasin.net/prod02.htm
Forward mounted will work better for fishing (better boat control) and allows easier access to the prop, also less likely to damage the motor shaft upon impact.

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It's the old adage that it is easier to pull a chain then to push it , might be one reason most trolling motors are on the front of boats.
Wilderness Systems back in the dark ages made a Pirogue that had a trolling motor in the stern and it was retractable. I think it was called the Pembroke. Plus a guy in Georgia or South Carolina was making one along the same lines.

I had the privilege of seeing his in person on one of the Okefenokee Swamp trips. A guy was in the campground for a week and would take out in the morning and use the motor to get to where he wanted , then fish and paddle if he wanted to paddle. After a days fishing come back to the camp using the trolling motor. Load the boat on a small trailer and at the campsite then plug in the charger for the battery. The next day launch the Pirogue and repeat everything. He told me the motor was good for about 20 miles if you did not push it.

The motor retract all the way up leaving a smooth bottom to the boat when you did not want to use it. Everything was controlled from the cockpit even the raising and lowering of the motor and the steering was by foot peddles in the boat. The battery compartment was almost dead center and between the operators legs.

It was a really well thought out set up and I have been kicking my rear for not taking pictures and getting more information about it....."O" Well that was a good 20 years ago and close to the Bob Cat one on the above posted links. .

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Aye god but folks make a helluva lot of really strange looking boats in the name of fishing. We always fished from a row boat, but then - those fish always tasted kinda funny and had a resentful look on their little faces. Probably weren't happy being caught in a common old, wooded row boat, don'tcha think.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Back in the 80s a buddy and I built what they called a mud buggy , had two augers mounted under the bottom one right twist flight and the other left , it would fly in pure mud and did ok on open water but if you were in rocks you could have some interesting rides when you caught one, they were open with no covers.
My buddy took it to Ala ,wonder what ever happen to him and that boat.
Good memories
Ron

tsigmon

May 25, 2011
Had time to read a little this morning and saw this post, hope I'm not too late to help. Check out Freedom Electric Boats. They make the two man pond type bass boats with trolling motors in the pontoons. You can see pictures under the "Features" heading. Have you had progresss on this project?

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
tsigmon said:
Had time to read a little this morning and saw this post, hope I'm not too late to help. Check out Freedom Electric Boats. They make the two man pond type bass boats with trolling motors in the pontoons. You can see pictures under the "Features" heading. Have you had progresss on this project?
That is a very interesting concept indeed.
Presently working on the Millcreek and this build is on the back burner for now, but I am still interested in building it.
Thanks for the info.