1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

"Preacher's stand"

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by beekeeper, Sep 30, 2009.

1. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

My grandson (6yrs. old) asked why Paw Paw was building a "preacher's stand". My brother in law asked me to make him a podium that could be moved easily. He said it didn't need to be fancy because their church is not. None of my wood work is fancy so I said I would try. As usual I didn't know what I was doing. Started one, but realized it was going to be heavy. Ended up making two.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a really neat church. Not unusual for some one to ride their horse to service. It has the best wood heater of any church in the area. :) Most important, it is an active and growing body of believers, not just a historical marker. Hope you like the pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

beekeeper

2. Kayak Jack

Kayak Jack Well-Known Member

Sorry to disappoint you, Beekeeper, but those are lecterns. Nice ones at that, too. A podium is a platform upon which you stand.

3. seedtick

seedtick Well-Known Member

sorry to disappoint you Jack
    but you don't know these southern Baptist preachers - that is a podium

4. Kayak Jack

Amen, ehh?

5. mike

mike Well-Known Member

According to dictionary.com, everyone is right. 8)

po·di·um (pō'dē-əm)
    n. pl. po·di·ums or po·di·a (-dē-ə)

1. An elevated platform, as for an orchestra conductor or public speaker.

2. A stand for holding the notes of a public speaker; a lectern.

6. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

Wikipedia Encyclopedia:
    "The word "podium" is sometimes erroneously used to refer to the object behind which a speaker stands and upon which he or she sets papers or books; "

"Erroneously" is what I do best. :) It is amazing how much there is to learn on here. Now if anybody wants a "lecterns" I know what they are talking about. It's a good thing I knew "erroneously" what a podium is, or my brother in law would have been disappointed.
    Thanks for the compliment.

beekeeper

7. Kayak Jack

Your woodworking ain't too shabby either.