"Preacher's stand" | SouthernPaddler.com

"Preacher's stand"

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
My grandson (6yrs. old) asked why Paw Paw was building a "preacher's stand". My brother in law asked me to make him a podium that could be moved easily. He said it didn't need to be fancy because their church is not. None of my wood work is fancy so I said I would try. As usual I didn't know what I was doing. Started one, but realized it was going to be heavy. Ended up making two.
IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

This is a really neat church. Not unusual for some one to ride their horse to service. It has the best wood heater of any church in the area. :) Most important, it is an active and growing body of believers, not just a historical marker. Hope you like the pictures:

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

beekeeper

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
According to dictionary.com, everyone is right. 8)

po·di·um (pō'dē-əm)
n. pl. po·di·ums or po·di·a (-dē-ə)

1. An elevated platform, as for an orchestra conductor or public speaker.

2. A stand for holding the notes of a public speaker; a lectern.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
Sorry to disappoint you, Beekeeper, but those are lecterns. Nice ones at that, too. A podium is a platform upon which you stand.

Wikipedia Encyclopedia:
"The word "podium" is sometimes erroneously used to refer to the object behind which a speaker stands and upon which he or she sets papers or books; "

"Erroneously" is what I do best. :) It is amazing how much there is to learn on here. Now if anybody wants a "lecterns" I know what they are talking about. It's a good thing I knew "erroneously" what a podium is, or my brother in law would have been disappointed.
Thanks for the compliment.

beekeeper