Prime & Paint? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Prime & Paint?

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Dunno, I just use exterior latex. It works fine. It's cheap, readily available in as many colors as you can imagine.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Contacted Gerneral Paint this is what they said

Paul,

Epoxy as a general rule is applicable over previously painted alkyd substrates. Tremclad falls into that category. With that said you must read the technical data on the specific epoxy you are using. The other option is to do a test to assure adhesion. As for the Fiberglass, General Paint does not deal in Fiberglass and so don't have sufficient info to give you the advice. It would be best to talk to someone that sells Fiberglass and ask about application over alkyd paint.

Tony Blatchford

Sales Support Centre Supervisor

General Paint Corp

604-253-3131

Tremclad is a product of theirs

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Bellybuster
I haven't tried Tremclad, but I have used Rustoleum. That's the green lapstrake canoe I posted on the bragging board.

My current yak just gets latex exterior paint. I abuse that boat and frequent easy touch ups are a must to keep it looking decent.

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
It worked great. It was hard as nails after it dried and stood up to use really well. It didn't like oyster shells though....scraped through paint and primer right down to the epoxy

touch ups were easy but took longer to dry than latex.