Project #1 | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Project #1

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Nice!

That looks nice! I am trying to work out some bevels to allow me to "pinch" the bow and stern on my project so it will look a bit more graceful.
I keep going back to the original plan after thinking it will be a bit of a "freighter" after all.

NEWS FLASH!
Wood is in the basement. Waiting for resin and glass. Now where is Mr. Brown?
Can't wait, Woo,Hoo. :D

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Under way...

Assembled three of five frames today.
That stage should be finished tomorrow, then prepping to connect the panels begins . 8)
The building instructions say to use TWO layers of tape on each side when joining panels.
I presume they mean allowing the first layer of tape and resin to cure before placing the second one.
What say the wise ones? :?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: Under way...

Nockatee said:
I presume they mean allowing the first layer of tape and resin to cure before placing the second one.
What say the wise ones? :?

Not a wise one but the answer is .... YES. Unless you are going to glass the whole thing and then one would work since the glass would be the 2nd layer.

Chuck.

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Progress.....

Here is where things stand.

s7300097ja8.jpg

Frames and end plates are ready.
Sides are cut and ready to join with glass and resin.
Bottom panels need one more rip to proper width. then join.

From there, sides go on the frames followed by wales and chine logs.

I need to pick up some stock to rip 3/4 x 3/4 external chine logs and 1 1/2 x 3/4 wales.
See the bend that the chine logs will be taking. Any suggestions for wood that will be bendy w/o cracking? :roll:
Also, do you see problems, other than the panels being a bit stiffer to handle, with attaching the chine and wale pieces before attaching to the frames.
I see some possible problem in that the chine log does have to take a slight twist as it sweeps up towards the bow/stern pieces.

This has been fun so far. Trying to be sure to stay "three steps ahead". :D

I think this will be it until Christmas is over. I need to warm the basement some so resin will cure and besides...that little fridge in the background needs to be restocked with beer. :lol:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Nockatee

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Back in business...

Back in the saddle again!
Placed the first application of resin and glass to join the side panels and bottom sheets.
My basement stays a steady 58 this time of year. I'm thinking it will take some time for the goo to set with medium hardener. Since this is the first time I have mixed the stuff in many years, that might be a good thing. :wink:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Might consider a pair of removable thole pins for the stern. If you get into close quarters where you can't use oars, put an oar in the thole pins on the stern an scull. Get yourself one of thse rice hats like Bear has and folks'll think your a Jap. :wink:
Bob

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Baby steps....

Still dinking away. Did something to my left elbow, so I have slowed down a bit. Darned "Geezer" parts! I do most of my beer mug hoisting with the right hand so that couldn't be the reason:lol:
Should have some pics showing the progress before long.

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Gassed out!

Put some Smith's penetrating resin on some raw wood today.
It is pretty stinky stuff! Bad enough to have to pull the project completely out of basement to clear the air. I had a fan blowing out the door when working with the stuff, but even then a woozy feeling snuck up on me!
Yikes! That is strong solvent.

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
A little progress....

Time for an update.
Things slowed down for a couple of weeks, but the project is back on track.
A warm spell last week allowed me to get the boat outside and apply some penetrating resin on the hull.
Bottom is on and now ready for attaching the keel which is structural (stiffener) as well as protection when grounding and dragging over knobs, , etc.
my.php
[/url]

The inside will receive primer and paint, then the fore and aft decks will go on with bow and stern plates. Seats will need to be fitted after that.

my.php
[/url]

Note the blocks for possible thole pins if I decide I want to use oars.

Coming right along.....just gotta stay three steps ahead! :wink:

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
One more pic...

Something goofed up when this one was copied....
Just another view of the inside of the hull.

my.php
[/url][/img]

That folding Dyer chair in the background fits just right......I can see myself drifting along, kicked back, applying a touch with the paddle now and then and just going with the flow. 8)
Hmmmmm, any ideas for cup holders?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Nock,

If only my mind wuz half az clean 'n half az organized az that shop, I'd be in high cotton fer sho. The Home Depot at Greenville aint that neat. :wink: I caint wait ta see that boat on the water. Gwine ta use one of them homemade paddles? Wear one of them stylish hats? :roll: :roll:

regards
bearridge
When a thing defies physical law, there's usually politics involved.  P. J. O'Rourke

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Style...

You just have to be stylish when on the water, ya know.
my.php
[/url]

Only the proper yachting togs should be considered. :D [/img]

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Ya'll swashbucklin' fer sho. Got a parrot....one would go good on yer shoulder....mebbe a black patch over one eye? piper mite loan ya one of hiz......if the swamp monster dont git 'em. :lol: :lol: :lol: When do ya'll regatta? 8)

stickbow

Feb 25, 2009
Americus, GA
Re: Style...

Nockatee said:
You just have to be stylish when on the water, ya know.
my.php
[/url]

Only the proper yachting togs should be considered. :D [/img]

hey Nock -- two things -- who is that in the photo (and whose boats), and do you get over to Fort Dobbs for their spring/fall events?