Project #1 | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Project #1

stickbow

Feb 25, 2009
Americus, GA
Re: Motivation...

Nockatee said:
If I could get online with Gator Boats, I'd sure like to have one of those 60" "Edisto" style paddles. I used to stand and paddle a big ol'e canoe we had when is was a kid.

If you think you'll get over to Fort Dobbs, I could probably help ya out with that if you want. I might get one for myself and save us both some cash. Just PM me.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Nice looking boat, Nockatee. You might consider the Cajun rowing system for this boat. Our square ended bateaus are very similar to your design and people rowed them standing and facing forward with a yoke or "joug'. Never could figure why everyone else on the planet faced backwards to row. :? Check out some of keith and seedticks posts for some pictures of the joug in action.

Joey

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Summary

Joey, that is an intriguing rig. Definitely going to study it further.

Here is a recap of changes I made during this build and a materials estimate..
For reference to the original plan see this link;
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/p ... /index.htm

The plans called for a length of 15 feet/ 36 in + 3in (external wales) across the wales and 30 in + 2 in(external chine logs) across the bottom.
The bottom called for a constant 30 width with the stem and stern plates tapered to 31in +3in across the top.
Sides were to be 14 1/4 in high.

I reduced the size of the boat some since it looks like I may be doing more solo floats. It should still accommodate two adults but with perhaps less gear for overnight treks.
Length was reduced to 13 1/2 ft/ 34 in + 1 1/2 in (outside wale) across the wales and 28 in across the bottom (no outside chine logs). I pinched the stem and stern in to 24 1/2 + 1 1/2 in across the top and 24" on the bottom for what helped the looks in my opinion.
Sides were cut down an inch to 13 1/4".
I took the dimension off the top of the side planks to retain the same curve from the bottom to the ends.

You will see how I installed a sort of "sampson post" on each end. Those are oak plates backed inside under the decking with another plate for strength.

Plans called for double 1" thick wales on the outside of the sides. I placed one on the outside and one inside to reduce overall width and hopefully make paddling easier. Also, outside chine logs were called for. I placed an internal chine on the flat 5 1/2 footsection of the sides. The bottom was glued and nailed to these and the bottom of the frames, tacked on the seams and followed with fillet resin inside and two layers of glass and resin the full length of the chines. There was another thread regarding this with a lot of good discussion viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6077.
Tape and resin was applied inside and outside the corners of the stem and stern.

Guessing the weight to be about 70 lbs.

Materials: 3 sheets of 1/4 "Ultraply"premium underlay plywood, 1 sheet A/C 3/8 pine exterior ply for the decks. I could have spliced some remnants of the 1/4 material but it would have required placing some bracing pieces underneath.
A few feet of fir. Frames were joined with glue and plywood gussets.
Total wood wound up costing about $125
Glue- Tightbond 3
Box of ss (I ordered bronze but got ss) ring nails
Box of drywall screws.
Total fasteners and glue: About $43
Resin and Glass: From Duckworks $115
Penetrating resin: $64
Paint: I gal latex "Barn" paint for inside
1 gal Latex for hull
Brushes/ misc for paint and resin work
Total about $38
Grand total approx $385
The resin products were naturally the biggest chunk of expense.

This has been a lot of fun working on this boat.
Can't wait to so some "sea trials" and sort out some details.
My big goal is six days on the James River, VA for the Batteau Festival in June.
Wish me luck!

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
She Floats!

Yippee! She Floats!
I took the punt out to a nearby lake for some preliminary trials.

Here is an attempt at posting a video. The photographer accidentally turned the video mode on (I had never tried it)
and I don't know how to pick still frames out out of the stream. If it doesn't work, I will have some still pics up after the weekend.

http://img531.imageshack.us/img531/2793 ... 362vp5.flv

My apologies to those with dial-up. I lived with it for five years in Maine.

So. The little boat seems fairly stable. As much as any canoe I've been in. It is pretty responsive to paddle strokes. I was using a double paddle set from an old Folboat I had many years ago.(you can see me joining the pair at the end of the video clip) I'm picking up a pair of the "Edisto" paddles from Gatorboats tomorrow on the way down to Ebeneezer creek. Thinking I will like those a lot better.
Standing and poling was fun! There is a learning curve for sure, but once you find the balance point it works nicely.

As I stated in the summary, I reduced the size of the boat a foot and a half and narrowed it 2 inches. Lighter weight and nimbleness are a benefit.
However, she is a little deep in the water with two 200 pound adults in it. The punt moved along fine, even against a 1 or 2 knot current going up the Green river a ways, but I think the ideal load is one adult and a lighter passenger or a solo crew member with gear.

More to report next week!
Cheers!
Nockatee.......grinning mighty big. :D :D :D

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Re: She Floats!

Nockatee said:
...but I think the ideal load is one adult and a lighter passenger or a solo crew member with gear.

When talking about the ideal load, you seem to have misspelled "beer". :wink:

Congrats on your sea trials! Looking forward to still pics.

GBinGA

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
More pics...

I figured how to pick still images from the videos of the first trials.

As before, it feels pretty stable when standing after you find your balance.

She moves along fairly easily and responds to the paddle strokes. I didn't have a decent paddle for doing a J-stroke and had to keep switching sides to keep on track. I was fully expecting the boat to be slow turning due to the full keel strip, but not so.

The first impressions were good and overall I am happy with the results.
The real test is a proper day on the water........

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Well, things have been fairly low key since the initial sea trials of the punt.
We have been out terrorizing the panfish and small mouth bass populations on the Green river and Lake Adger. Great fun! I had forgotten how much fun a little angling could be.
So, the big trek down the James is coming up this Saturday.
Check trip reports for an intro and week after next, you will know if I survived it all!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6828

Till then,
Nockatee

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Nockatee
Great job. Great boat. I like it. Glad the fishing has been good for you. I have some questions about your boat. My boat is also a non pirogue/kayak type. It is hard to find answers to question or ideas when comparing persimmons to hickory nuts. Have you used other types for similar tasks as you use this boat? Can you make comparisons? If you have posted the answers already, forgive me for overlooking.
Did you use cloth over the bottom and sides or just tape on the seams?
What is the safe max. load?
If I understand correctly the boat is 35.5" wide at the top at it's widest point and holds this width for the 5 1/2' mid section, and then tapers to 26" at each end? Does the width cause any problems paddling? Do you use a single or double paddle?
Is the 1/4" ply strong enough for the 28" bottom?
The ribs have a "brace" above the floor, from one side to the other? Could this be eliminated, in your opinion?
What would you change or build different, "next time"?
Again nice work and post. Thanks for sharing. Too bad the issue of fillets/chines/tape didn't get much discuson. I guess some folks aren't very passionate or have no opinion about such things. :wink:

beekeeper