Punt / River Boat | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Punt / River Boat

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My question is: what are the advantages that are sought from square ends on a boat? I'm curious.

Every design will have characteristics deemed "good" or "bad" by users. Different users, and different uses will favor different characteristics, we all know that. So, what characteristics of squared off ends are you builders seeking?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
For me, it's shorter length per given amount of flotation and stability and to sit higher and move about easier. It's definitely a trade off. I wanted my little boat for less than 1/2 mile trips and ponds. For that it is a fine craft.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
That's a loaded question.
The Bayou Skiff had almost two inches of rocker and the stern as far as I could tell did not create any noticeable drag on the .................

No "loaded" intended. Nothing implied. I think you answered it. 2" of rocker and the bottom was at the water line with no noticeable turbulence.

Thanks
beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
My question is: what are the advantages that are sought from square ends on a boat? I'm curious.

Every design will have characteristics deemed "good" or "bad" by users. Different users, and different uses will favor different characteristics, we all know that. So, what characteristics of squared off ends are you builders seeking?

For a boat this size 10' long /24" bottom, more capacity and stability than a pointed boat of equal size. May even fit in the truck better.
For Joey, I think he ran out of plywood befor he could add the pointed ends.:rolleyes:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The skiffs/square stern pirogues I have built and used had little rocker. None had the transom clear of the surface. Hard to find helpful information about turbulence and drag for these designs. It does appear and my assessment is the transom needs to be above the waterline for row boats and other paddle craft with non pointed sterns.
This is a questions for Chuck or other Bayou Skiff builders and users. How much stern rocker and is enough to lift the transom above the water? If so does it reduce drag?

Thanks
beekeeper

Building Classic Small Craft by John Gardner page 4 answered my question/assessment. "If the boat has a transom stern , this must sit high above the water for best results."
Hard part now is figuring out how much rocker and still maintain the other criteria needed. Change and compromise.

beekeeper