Question on piroque | SouthernPaddler.com

Question on piroque

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
I think you built your pioques from uncle johns plans they have a lot of rocker if you were building another one would it have less ( a 15 ft plus boat) all you spurts chime in here.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have built five of them and all of them have the recommended amount of rocker in them.

If I wanted to build one for a little more speed and shallower draft then I would drop the amount of rocker so it could sit flatter on the water. So far I like the way they paddle so it is sticking to what they call for at this time.

The thing I like the most is what the rocker lets me do and that is to turn the boat on a dime and get seven cents back in change. That sure makes it a lot easier when paddling between trees and thru the brush or around stumps. Like when you are going thru the bone yard in the Okefenokee , a 1/4 to 1/2 mile stretch that drives folks in canoes CRAZY and creates a lot of 4 lettered words to be muttered. :lol:

Chuck

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron,

Here are some of my jumbled thoughts on rocker. (for what they are worth)

Both of the pirogues I have, have minimal rocker. (The tourer has about an inch both end and Robins P5, slightly less than that.

Both boats have a keel. I installed this to act like a rubbing strip and to minimise sideways wind drift.

The combination of minimal rocker and keel do reduce manoeuvrability but seem to improve speed and tracking. The compromise works well for me in the waters I paddle.

From what I understand, the Cajuns build theirs to suit their waters and the boats seem to work very well there.

I would recommend you build as per the plans ( for the first one anyway), paddle it a while and then work out if you want to make any changes to the next one.

keith

dont ask sparky, when he goes paddlin he has 500 pounds in his boat and the rockers are underwater by then. the less weight you have in the boat, the more important the rocker becomes. i'll let this bait float awhile. later keith

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
Thanks I think that is about the rocker I need on my peerow and Chuck
I can see where you are coming from on the rocker and turning .
I can go anywhere I want to in the freedom so peerow should be ok as far as turning with less rocker. This boat will be mainly for slow rivers and small lakes .
Three reasons I want to build it
My girl friend wants to go at times a fifteen fter plus would handle both of us are one of the grandkids.
It is pretty simple design and fast to build
boy now here's where I get stupid
I want to build this boat out of my head ,swede form, on shape of the hull
1 inch of rocker bow and stern
15+ long
10 inch sides at lowest can add a tumble home if need to
light as I can build it and be pretty stout
no permanent ribs This is a maybe
28 inches at water line 31 across top
double top rail if I don't use tumble homes
I figure this might be a fast build and cheap while Matt is getting his plans ready and if it winds up firewood just two sheets of ply and some time
Ron

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Ron. The Idea of a tumble home on the priogue is an interesting one. I would be very interested to see how that works. Good luck with the boat! Let's hope it comes out like you want and not the firewood you discribed earlier. As fast as you build boats you ought to have this one done before you reply :shock:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
From everything I read the tumblehome should really stiffen the sides
Ask Mick about the p 5 he built for his wife and Matt designed or Matt
I am just a rookie here but did design and build a hovercraft out of aluminium and also an airboat.
Ron

JEM

I went a different tack and added a tumblehome panel to the Touring Pirogue and will probably not release the P5 as a separate set of plans.

Difference between the Touring Pirogue T (with tumblehome) and P5 is that the Touring Pirogue-T is asymetrical (swede). P5 was symetrical. That means you'll have to draw 3 addional panels instead of just copying the symetrical panels. Asymetrical boat will be faster.

The beam of the Touring Pirogue-T will be 31" but it will be just as easy to paddle as a 27" pirogue because the tumblehome. 28" waterline beam at 3" draft. She should be very stable and pretty fast to paddle. The beam was a result of a builder who is building the prototype now requesting it that way. Sheer line will be 10.5" with the tumblehome. You'll need 3 sheets of plywood.

Touring Pirogue-T plans are ready except for the assembly instructions. I wasn't going to jump on those until after the Freedom 11-30.

JEM

IsoA450.JPG

IsoB450.JPG

PP400.JPG

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Matt
You are always way ahead of us but don,t stop on the freedom 11 :lol:
Grandaughters still calling me about them. This is just keeping my hands busy till then and keeping me out of doghouse with my girl friend
Lets see
Freedoom 15
peerow
2 freedom !!
Matts perow
Well thats not to bad just half as many as Mick
Dark side is getting darker
Ron

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Here's a shot of Keith's pirogue with a tumblehome

ec5d77d8.jpg

Folks around here added them so they could flip fish over the side while running trot lines and not take in water. We're not as eager to get wet as some folks on the forum are. :)

It effectively gives you a couple more inches of freeboard without much change in the lines of the boat. It stiffens the sides but does not have to run the full length.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Ron, mate,

Matts assymetriccal tourer, is a great boat - even without the tumblehome.
The tumblehome panel will stiffen and strengthen the sides a lot. I bloody love my tourer but I think this new version will be much better.

The more I look at those concept drawings of the new tourer, the more inclined I am to relent to some serious presure to sell the one I have now and build that one.

I am sure that with your skills and experience designing and building hovercraft, that you could design and build a very good pirogue of your own - but why bother? The plans are allready there. They are as cheap as dirt and the boat works. :D

Come on over to the dark side of Matts lovely pirogues mate. You will never regret it.

Oh yeah, Matt, P5 is your call and I respect that but it really is a fine boat and is well worth keeping on hand. (Perhaps, even as another freebee if you must :p )

Bloody freebees All Matts boats are too bloody good to just give away

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
First let me make this clear I am very happy with Matts plans and figure I will have a whole mess of them before its over.
But I am a bullheaded Texan and building stuff all my life for work and pleasure. everything from bows flint arrow heads even turning my own shaft out of a 2+4 just have to try one :cry: on my own The plans are certainly faster and probably better and reasonably priced.
Matt where is your tour piroque listed
thanks FOR THE INPUT
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Matt
I looked all over your site for piroques and never punched the email loggo :oops:
As far as your presence here I am awfully glad you are here so don't worry about that and I get the feeling so are the rest of these guys
Ron