quick and easy | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

quick and easy

islandpiper

OK, off to Wally World to buy two cheap Feather Brand paddles today.....already have the Gorilla Glue and Mason's cord.

My wife and daughter came along......actually, they drove me there and back. We bought eggs, popsicles, fingernail polish, a bale of cotton balls, some drain cleaner, molasses, and more ESSENTIAL stuff.......got out to the car, with NO PADDLES........

Tomorrow is the big day......I'm planning to start driving daytimes again, I can see well enough in daylight, so I thought I'd start my Suburban, and load up some stuff that needs to be taken other places tomorrow, and the poor old beast wouldn't even crank. It's only been a couple of months since we ran it. So, I hooked up my little Mazda and let it put some juice in the battery. With my Michigan background I'm never too far from my jumper cables, winter is right around the corner ya know, just ask Kayak Jack.

So, maybe I'll find a chance to get back to Wally World and find those cheap paddles tomorrow. It's a red Suburban so if you see me headed at you, remember I haven't driven since October. Just thought you'd like to know.

Cheers, Piper

nobucks

hairymick said:
Nice paddles mate :D

Your Euro style paddle is so nice, it is allmost enough to tempt me away from my feathered jobbie.

The Inuit style one is stunning. I would love to try one, one day.

Thanks! The closest I've come so far to getting either one of our paddles is having the paddle sitting in the corner of my living room before I ship it out to a customer. I'm ordering up an Inuit paddle for myself tomorrow, though, to go with my Greenland style kayak prototype. I finally saved enough scratch.

If you like a low resistance, high cadence paddle, the Greenland paddle is the way to go. Shipping to Oz isn't as bad as one would think. :mrgreen:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
nobucks

I did sketches for the forestry commission when I was in high school , have two years of collage in art , worked the private sector in ads and displays then I spent 10 years as a commercial artist for J.C.Penney's doing ads and displays , along with opening new stores for them.

Then it was with the Sheriffs Office , a degree in criminal Justice and 27 years with them , no art work , it became a hobby again.

Also taught both daughters how to draw and the youngest is a digital artist today.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
nobucks said:
Shipping to Oz isn't as bad as one would think.
Friend Joel,

My new (ta me) Silver Creek paddle cost $50 ta pack 'n ship frum the left coast. The shippin' cost so much cuz of the size. I may try ta git a pichur of it today....but it wuz Tet fer the skeeters late yesterday evenin'. We are pinned down here til the city steps up the napalm. :(

regards
bearridge

I don't think the UN is ever going to really be of assistance in the war on terrorism because if you look at the make-up of the UN you see that of 191 members, fewer than 50 are democracies. So basically 3 out of 4 of the members of the UN are despots, dictators, rogues and terrorists themselves. Jed Babbin

nobucks

Jack's getting a good deal on shipping, as I see I adjusted our flat shipping rate down in order to make our sea sock cheaper and forgot to take the paddle into account.

It usually costs us around $25 to ship a paddle within the U.S., but it seems like it depends on who's working at the UPS or Post Office desk, what day it is, etc. I don't know why, but shipping costs seem to swing this way or that.

International shipping isn't as expensive as you'd think. The expense comes with shipping companies charging the customer extra to handle "customs charges" which is a fancy way of saying, "We're gonna charge you extra and blame the government." It's quite a bit cheaper to ship it via the Postal Service and let the customer handle his own customs charges without the extra handling fee.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Jack & Yak I believe sparky is older than 63 gotta be about 73 . With all the trades he knows he must been doing more @ the high sheriff station in his spare time besides chasing the bad guys (paddles), whatcha think. :) :lol: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
keith said:
he ant counten the years hes lost. later keith

Yak... In Sept you take care of the locals in the eastern states and fry a catfish then as I return from the wedding and paddling /camping in Canada for me ( after the kids wedding) then I will slip over to the southern area around Mississippi and Louisianan ( No Mans Land) and take care of those misfits making boats out of old discarded , sunken , who cares , wood.

We will show them just what the preparation H and Geritol crowd can do. We will teach them how to make a Yankee Pot Roast or how to hold there breath for several hours. Ya Know everyone does that after eating one of them pot roasts .... those recycled gas fumes will remove paint , make shunk's run for the hill's and kill any normal person breathing them within a 100 yard area.

Yak.. We can make up a hit list on the Canada trip :D

Don't believe me ... Ask Kayak Jack ... He is good at cooking it. :roll:

Chuck.

islandpiper

Lots o' piccies:

Here is the process.......clamp up two canoe paddles,side by side, and cut them off with the band saw. Then, with the clamps still on them, use the big belt sander to face them together to a clean, long angle. Any misalignment on the sander will be self correcting when you line them up.

Clamp them up dry, and drill two 1/8" holes through them, for wooden pins which will keep them from sliding when the glue is applied. Apply glue, drive in the pins, add the clamps and wait.

Next step will be to wrap the join with Mason Cord and epoxy it or varnish it.....then go boating.

DSCF0021_9.jpg

DSCF0022_10.jpg

DSCF0023_11.jpg

DSCF0024_7.jpg

DSCF0025_5.jpg

DSCF0027_11.jpg

Piper

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Great idea! I was thinking you could do the same thing to make a push pole slash long paddle for those daring enough to stand and pole. You would just have to cut the paddle end on one side and scarf it to the handle end of the other. leaving one handle end in tact. not sure if the overall length would be long enough though. Just a thought.
How much were the paddles at Wally world Piper?

islandpiper

CCTYER........gee, never been to Paris....I thought it was a long way from here. Wonder if I could see that big tower on a clear day....

The 5' Feather Brand paddles were $9.95 ea. Gives me about a $25 double paddle counting the glue, wrap, varnish, cup of coffee, etc.

your idea sounds good. I have stood and pushed my pirogue lots, just don't stand in the extreme ends. I may copper plate the ends of my blades for pushing use and longevity, or just do some artistic glassing to keep them crisp and dry.

Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
dangermouse01 said:
islandpiper said:
I may copper plate the ends of my blades for pushing use and longevity, or just do some artistic glassing to keep them crisp and dry.

Piper;
Maybe just coat the tip with an epoxy/graphite mixture. Nicely taped off, a solid black tip would look good.

DM

This would be easier...... Like DM Said , tip it http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2501

Chuck.

islandpiper

Guys, I'm tipsy enough now.....but I'll epoxy cover my new paddle ends.

Here are several pics, or piccies, of the center graft area, wrapped with TIGHT mason line, or siene twine, and varnished.

DSCF0035_4.jpg

DSCF0034_11.jpg

I know.....I could have epoxied it, but it will get varnilshed anyway, and some thinned varnish (2 parts varnish, 2 parts spirits......or one each, depending on your you look at it) soaked into the cord and recoated.

Now, to get my pirogue out.

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The thread wasn't hijacked, Piper san; we just changed the subject a few degrees and recalibrated the equestrian gimbals. Paddles and pot roast are almost on the same page in the dictionary. Follow your own advice - "Shut up an eatchur gritz!" (durn Yankee Xplant)

Joel, let me know what I owe you, please?

Chuckie, when I do a beef roast, I put many punctures into it with a filet knife, and fill them with garlic slivers. (or, Jimmie Dorazio's (Ole Yaker) fingernail clippings, which also smell of garlic. And at that, they smell better'n the rest of him.)