Raised Beds | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Raised Beds

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Bob will likely use his riding tractor, the one he uses in his raised beds, and mow down the resulting hay. Then, he'll get his side rake - or maybe a drop rake - and put it into windrows. Later, after the sun dries it, he'll load it in his wagon, and store in in the mow for winter use.

He's an industrious fella, isn't he. All becasue he wanted a few, fresh tomatoes.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Jack,
The garden is getting on fine. I have cucumbers and pole beans in feed tubs and they were blooming like crazy but not setting fruit. I am trying a Chinese melon that a lady gave us. Do not know what it is but it seems to be comming along very well. The heat down here is sucking the live out of everything. I'd bet anything that Ron is 5 to 10 degrees hotter than we are down here. I lived in that part of Texas when I was a kid and well remember the heat.
You stay cool way up there,
Bob

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
It was 104 here today ,
I have some plants panted in the garden just like normal, some of the same plants in raised beds , the raised beds seem to be doing the best and take 1/4 the water.
I still like and I am still impressed with there performance.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bob
Found out another little thing that seems to help the raised beds,I went back and put about a 2 inch layer of compost over the mix . it doesnt dry out near as fast in this heat.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
If you mulch you are, yes. I don't think she ever used raised beds. She gathered moldy hay from neighboring farmers and spread it at least 8" deep on her garden. she never plowed, tilled, watered, or cultivated. The ground was moist, mellow, and soft - just like you want a garden to be. Being shaded from the sun, it didn't get overly hot either. Once a layer of mulch was on, the work level dropped a lot.

The soil just kept getting richer and richer. She'd pull back the hay to plant seeds or seedlings, and tuck it in as the plants grew up. If a stray weed did grow and poke its head through, it was easy to pull and just lay on top of the mulch as more mulch.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
The difference in the process is we mix soil to be light and mellow with peat moss,vermiculite helps also but retains water better for a slow release. and then the compost is just like the mulch that is several years old.
The advantages of our little set up, better usage of water, no weeds,hay has a lot of seeds and it will cover you up. and the main one is if set up right you are at a point the first year that takes from 7 to 10 years to reach .
I am using compost for mulch but with the added benefit that it doesnt have to set a year to reach the fertile stag.
Ron

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
tx river rat said:
Bob
Found out another little thing that seems to help the raised beds,I went back and put about a 2 inch layer of compost over the mix . it doesnt dry out near as fast in this heat.
Ron
Thanks Ron,
That would be one of those win win deals. A little more compost would be be good anyway.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Ron,
We have had 4.36 inches of rain here within the last week. Some places have had up to 9 inches. Yesterday eve. i went out to pump out the barell of water under my a/c drip and the sump pump would not work. I was a very old cast iorn one that Nathan pulled out of a garbage dumpster. The thing weighed 30 to 40 lbs. Guess I'll go get another today. Now that I'v had one I can't do without it. Kinda like microwaves and cell phones. :lol:
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
tx river rat said:
Jack
The difference in the process is we mix soil to be light and mellow with peat moss,vermiculite helps also but retains water better for a slow release. and then the compost is just like the mulch that is several years old.
The advantages of our little set up, better usage of water, no weeds,hay has a lot of seeds and it will cover you up. and the main one is if set up right you are at a point the first year that takes from 7 to 10 years to reach .
I am using compost for mulch but with the added benefit that it doesnt have to set a year to reach the fertile stag
I wouldn't want you to change anything. Send me some green tomatoes?

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
This is a little summary of the raised beds this past year, and my in the ground garden.
The raised beds did the best for me this year but it was slim harvest on most plants ,to many days with it over 100 and 10 and no natural moisture. I didnt realize it but most plants shut down at 100 degrees and over,and it sure happened that way for me this year.
Now in the last couple months since the weather has cooled and we have at least gotten a couple inches of rain they are going wild,peppers cucumbers swiss chard okra sugar snap peas .
I am beginning to wonder if a fall garden is the way to go in my country ,
Bob How did yours do.
Ron
One side note the peppers seem to be a lot hotter this year :shock: wowwwwwwwwwwwww

islandpiper

My garden ROASTED, got nothing out of it but bills from the garden store. I'm about to dig it all up, i.e. the weeds that grew really well, and put in some root crops for the winter.

It was not a good year for a garden. i got that tomato blight crap that killed them one branch a day till there was nothing left. The onions grew.....and were about the size of a wood pencil, just not as long. my peppers got chest high and never grew even one pepper. Hope next year is better. Dang, i hope the federal government LETS ME HAVE A GARDEN next year. Don't laugh......that's not a joke.
piper

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
islandpiper said:
.... Dang, i hope the federal government LETS ME HAVE A GARDEN next year. Don't laugh......that's not a joke.
piper

Unless they intend to bring body bags, the federal government can not prevent me from having a garden on my own property. I'm fed up (no pun intended) with their BS and this would be just cause for rebellion. :evil: