Raised Beds | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

Raised Beds

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Cal Rutstrum, a canoeing author from early last century, made "camp refrigerators" with them. He built a small, stick framework near a stream, and would make a stick shelf in it. He'd set food on the shelf, and drape a wetted burlap bag over the rig. One end of the bag would hang down into the water a bit for wicking. Evaporative cooling helped prolong the food's useful life.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I cannot remember where there was a discussion about planting tomatoes directly into a bag of Miracle Grow potting soil to keep from getting bloom rot. I tried it so I'll put the results here. I laid the bag of potting soil down flat in my raised bed and punched two holes in the bag and transplanted two tomatoe plants in them. I punched another hole between the tomatoes to water them through. Wound up with two big robust plants with lots of blooms. The blooms set and tomatoes started to grow. Sat. there were two about ready to pick so I took a close look at them and they had bloom rot. So much for that expearment. Will see if any of the others make it. If not, I'll pick them green and fry them.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
I am building some more raised beds. I am putting these directly on the ground without bottoms and making them out of cinder blocks so I won't have to worry about replacing rotton boards. I will have a row of five 4x4beds and will have another row of five next to this one, I hope. One bed is ready to go and I need to get some more mix for the second so I can plant okra near the end of this month. I will put 23 plants in the two beds and that will be enough for the neighborhood to eat off of.
IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

Bob

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
According to Texas A&M:

Symptoms:
Blossom end rot can affect fruit at all stages of development. The characteristic symptom is a progressive deterioration of the blossom end of the fruit, from a water-soaked appearance to a sunken, black, leathery lesion. While secondary fungal infections may occur, blossom end rot is a physiological disorder caused by calcium deficiency induced by water stress.

Control:
Careful water management practices are a key. Irrigation and/or mulching are important. Application of lime or calcium prior to planting may help. Liquid fertilization using calcium nitrate can be used for small plots.

Poke Here

Mike

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
I was on vacation this past week and my arms are sore. I hauled in the rest of the blocks for the first row of raised beds and set them. I am not a brick mason as you can tell from the picture. I'tl get the job done. Fillid the beds with the mix and Tur put my okra seeds on to soak. Wed. afternoon I planted them and had little okrs poking up out of the dirt Sat morn. I also planted pumpkins in the far end bed. In three different places against the fence I planted Chinese okra and Chinese melon. The melon seeds were given to us so I don't know if it is bitter melon or sweet melon.
Bob

IMG_0606.jpg
'

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Built some more raised beds. I did not have room for a four foot bed so I made the beds two feet wide. I will put spinich, carrots, and cabbage in the new beds. The oter beds have okra in the first tow and some sweet potatoes in the second. All the others have geen planted with cauliflower, brocle, brussel sprouts, collards, turnips, and mustard. They are not in the picture but i hauled in enough cinder blocks to make another section on the two foot wide beds. We shall see.
IMG_0622_zps9adf5def.jpg

IMG_0621_zps5aa23ab3.jpg

IMG_0623_zps18f08c06.jpg

Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Today I planted carrots, spinich, swiss chard, and cabbage in the narrow beds. We'll see how it goes. This is uncharted waters for me as I've never really planted a fall garden. We had better get good at all this. We may really need to make use of it in the future.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
catfish said:
when they gona be ready for harvesting and eating? :wink: :) :mrgreen:
Catfish,
I just cut my first head of culiflower and have it soaking in saltwater. Now I can start eating the leaves. Might try the roots and see if they are worth eating. Waste not- want not. :D I am also getting Swiss Chard, Mustard greens, and sugar snap peas. I did not plant near enough peas. Tomatoes are plentyful.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I love the Oregon Sugar Pod peas. Aye god - they're GOOD! They grow 6 foot vines - really. First time I planted them, I didn't believe that. I did the next year. LOTS of peas for stir fries, salads, side dishes, etc. etc..

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
A few months ago I planted a pear tree. I planted it high because of the heavy clay soil we have. I put a ring if cinder blocks around it with spokes going in toward the tree. I then filled it with the three part mix.
IMG_0627.jpg

We planted cabbage, brussel sprouts, and cauiflower in the points of the pie shapes, and planted snapdragons in the rest.
IMG_0643.jpg

Here is a couple of pictures of my two wooden raised beds.
IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

Bob