Raised Beds | Page 7 | SouthernPaddler.com

Raised Beds

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Jack,
The nymphs of this bug looks like an asassian bug. Instead of sticking their proboscis in other bugs they stick it in tomatoes and suck juice and damage the tomato. They are truly children of the Devil.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Talked to a friend who raises tomatoes and he said spray with some stuff and you can't eat it for ten days. That is why I have not tried powerful insecticides. This morning I stopped by a Nursery and the lady told me about Bonide Pyrethrin Garden Insect Spray. Just wash the fruit before eating. That is what I was looking for. Guess I'm not out of the tomato business yet. If I can nurse my last few tomato plants through the heat I'll give it a run for a fall crop.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
oldsparkey said:
See if you can locate some Tobacco powder in your area. It will not hurt the plants of fruit but will make the bugs run. Put a light dusting on the plants in the morning when the dew is on them and do not forget the underside of the leaves.
For some crops you can soak chewing tobacco and spray with it but tomatoes and tobacco don't mix.
Bob

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Wannabe said:
oldsparkey said:
See if you can locate some Tobacco powder in your area. It will not hurt the plants of fruit but will make the bugs run. Put a light dusting on the plants in the morning when the dew is on them and do not forget the underside of the leaves.
For some crops you can soak chewing tobacco and spray with it but tomatoes and tobacco don't mix.
Bob

That's right. The tobacco mosaic virus will destroy tomatoes in short order.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guess I was lucky a few years ago , did the tobacco thing on mine and nothing happen except for the bugs leaving. Now that I know about the virus , never more with the tobacco. My garden will be tobacco free or at lease the tomatoes will be free if I have any. :D

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Yesterday I did some planting. Early on some and late on most. I'll be ok if we have a mild winter like last year. Only a couple of light frost. I planted some Sovoy Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Collards, and a bunch of Sugar Snap Peas. Also planted some Butternut Squash and Pattypan squash. I probably need to plant some ;more Swiss Chard. We'll see how it goes.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
No bananas. They will sometimes make here but not consistent at all. Some Latinos will ask you for some leaves to cook something in. My Buddy had a banana tree and he would let some of them get leaves now and again.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
My plumbs are ripening. I put a large pot of them on to cook yesterday. After they cooled down I dipped the cooked down plumbs into a sieve and mashed more the juice out of the pulp. After the juice in the pot cooled I have four batches of clear jelly juice. The pulp that was left was enough for a batch of jam. Each batch has 5 1/2 cups in it. I still have a couple of bags of frozen plumb juice from year before last. Put up all you can when you can because it might be several years before you get any more. With all the figs I have this year and the pecans my Sister has I may need to get another freezer.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Joey,
The old man I got them from about 30 years ago said they were Japanese plumbs. The skin is red and the meat is yellowish. I have always enjoyed riding by on the lawnmower, grabbing one on the fly and eating it. Started out with 3 small twigs. They sure do multiply. Little shoots come up and you have to keep cutting them down with the mower if you don't want them.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Kayak Jack said:
Plum wine coming up? Do you dry the figs?
Jack,
I've never had many figs on my trees. Had a few last year and a lot this year so I've never had enough to dry. We need quite a bit of fig preserves around here. We have so many plumbs Gay is talking about plumb pudding and plumb pie. I've never had either of them.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
First time I'd ever seen figs that weren't in those abominable cookies (fig newtons), was at an old cabin site in the Sierras. The cabin had burnt. A water pipe came from a spring a hundred or two feet up the mountain, and fed a cattle trough of a couple hundred gallons. Over flow watered the fig tree and a lot of wild blackberries.

Those tree-ripened figs were glorious! They bear no resemblance to fig newtons - and that was the best thing about them. I really enjoyed them. Blackberries were good too.

My deer hinting partner, a fellow from Missouri, drawled, "I wonder who's grazing cows up here?" We were at about 4,000 feet elevation, as I remember. I asked what made him think there were any cattle around?

"All those cow pies out there." I asked if he'd seen any hoof prints in the mud? Silence for a bit. Then, realization.

"Do you suppose a bear could make it through the wall of our teepee?"