Raised Beds | Page 8 | SouthernPaddler.com

Raised Beds

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Fig Newtons :D

One of the mainstays when we are camping , out of the normal 10 folks that go at one time or sometimes with a fewer amount of guys but you can bet someone has the Fig Newtons with them. Either the original ones or some of the newer ones and flavors. The new Fruit Thins they have are pretty good , especially the Lemon ones , :D .
I still like the old original ones but a couple of the guys like the Strawberry flavored ones. You will always see a package or two of them on the it's for everyone snack table. :wink:
fig_newtons.jpg

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
In Centra TX where I live there use to bee fig trees every where now you cant find one.
Wonder if the fireants have caused that?
Ron

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I got home a little after eight tonight. Wolfed down a bowl of Fine potato soup and went out to water. My youngest granddaughter age 10 went out with me to pick up plumbs. When she finished she said "I think I'll go check the figs". When she got to the fig tree she went to squeeling and reaching into the tree. My heart sank. Figs and plumbs at the same time. Not good. But we take what we get. About one of the sweetest figs I have had in a while.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
We froze enough plum juice to make from 48 to 50 pints of plum jelly. My Mother prefers plum jam so we kept a couple of batches of pulp and gave her the rest of the pulp and a few nags of juice. Mom told me how much she enjoyed dried figs. I figured that if someone could get to 96 years old they should get what they want so I dried the majority of our figs for her.
The bottom of one of my raised beds is getting rotten enough for some of the bottom slats to fall out.

I took the dirt out, turned it upside down, unscrewed the bottom, turned it over again and screwed the slats on what used to be the top. Had a couple of bad boards that had to be replaced. maby I can get another year or two out of it.

I believe it is safe to say that I need some rain. The shiny thing is a quarter for scale.

When I get the bed filled up again with the mix, I will put swiss chard, mustard greens, and Sugar snap peas for the trellis.
Bob

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
kyjack that is funny. :lol: :lol: what size tractor does he have? bob good on the 96 yr old mom. yep I believe you better give her want she wants

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Catfish,
When it cools off a little bit She wants me to take her out shooting. She said that she could not remember when the last time she shot her .38 and wanted to brush up on it in case she had to use it. Last year when we went out to my sisters place to pick up pecans she opened and closed the gates for me. She lives by herself, drives around in the small town she lives in, and works in her flower beds and garden most every day. Sunday She is cooking for the family. Sixteen of us not counting herself. I have a Super Mom. Last fall she went on an Alaskan cruise with my cousin.
Bob

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
bob sounds like she is a great mom. I have to agree with KY jack she is tough. cherish every moment with her, glad she has that good of health. my mom is in her middle eighties. man you have a big family.

KY lack never did tell me what size tractor you had that he was talking about you could have got hurt on? :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I wasn't trying very hard to lie. Just pulling Bob's tail a bit. A John Deere D model is old and heavy. Built from '23 through '53. Nicknamed "The Mortgage Buster", it was a strong, reliable performer.

Likely a couple of tons more tractor,than Bob needs. He's probanly using a little, hand-held ground scratcher.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
when I was a little feller my Dad was farming and he had a Farmall B and a John Deere. When I was in the First grade he hookis a breaking plow to the J.D. and made a couple of turns around the field, put me in the seat and told me to keep the front wheels in the plow trench and he would be back later. My older sister (was in the fifth grade) was discing in the next field. Everything went fine until one of the front wheels came off. I stopped the tractor, took it out of gear (I did not know that I could have kept on going on one wheel) and got off to kill the tractor. For some reason the only way to kill it was to pull the coil wire out. I guess the switch was messed up and he hadn't taken the time to fix it. I watched hem kill the tractor like that many times. Never thought about the little grimace on his face when he did it. I grabbed the wirs and it ate my little ass up, but the wire came out and killed the tractor. I ran crying to the next field to tell my sister that I had broken my Daddy's tractor. She told me to go on home (about a mile away. My Dad saw me when I topped the hill just outside the field and came and got me. He put the wheel back on and the plowing continued. He didn't get exited at all about it.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bob.....

Before I could drive a vehicle Dad had me running a International Harvester Farmall Cub or a John Deer that had the two tires next to each other on the front and water filled ones on the rear along with some of the biggest center wheel weights I had ever seen. You started the dam thing by spinning a large wheel on the left side of it. It never started on the 1st spin and sometimes even the 2 3 4 or 5th depending on how you held your mouth when you gave that wheel a spin. :lol:

This is darn close to how it looked.

jdh.jpg

It depended on which field you were going to be in on which tractor to use.

I liked the Farmall Cub with either the disk or plow. The sickle-bar off the side or cultivators which was the only thing that went under the center of the tractor. It had a electric starter. :D
I called one like this one My Tractor......

farmall_cub.jpg

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
bob I guess he showed you how to kill it but didn't tell you about the after effects (shocks) :shock: :eek: :lol: yea all you had to do is put the other tire In the furor and kept plowing . might not been as straight?

all those old tractors were good ones. my uncle had one of the johns with the flywheel. some of them they pop-n-johns.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Chuck,
That picture is just as I remember it. The flywheel had a cover on it with a stomp starter. I did not have enough bricks in my little pockets to depress it, and believe me when I say I tried. I imagine if I had of started it my behind would not be as big as it is now. The coil wire from hell was on the opposite side from the flywheel. After that I made sure I used a stick to get the wire out.
Bob