rudder for pirogue | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

rudder for pirogue

dsc01111medium.jpg

dsc01109medium.jpg

OK, my rudder is pretty much done, all I need now is some padeyes to run the cables thru and she'll be good for water trials.
This project has turned out so good I may attempt one for my plastic tandems.
The raise and lower works like magic, only thing I' d change next time is to put a groove in the raise/lower wheels to accomodate the pull rope.
I'll flash off some pics tonight when I get home for those interested.
Total cost of project was under $10
While I was working on the boat I also added an anchor trolly, used it on the weekend and don't know how I ever managed before. What a treat!!!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Part of the satisfaction (the kind you feel deep inside) is to outfit your craft the way you want it. An array of working tools (that's what fishing poles are - RIGHT?) etc. makes it a humming, vibrating, assembly of good things, all at your command.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
So, how do you deploy the rudder? Turn the boat upside down and shake it? (snickering here) Some rudder installations have a bungee pulling the rudder either up or down, and a rope for the opposite direction. Something like that would ease the sharp drop of the rudder onto the deck.

turning the boat upside down was a thought but I figure I'll go with another rope. I do plan on putting bungy on the deploy rope so when being retracted the bungy will hold pressure on it to soften the wack on the deck. There will be a "V" block for stowing as well.
This has been a fun project for me. I seem to have very little time to play in my shop so puttin in 10 or 15 minutes here and there has been great. My boat is now hangin from the ceiling to make room for the laker builds so I may not get'er finished this season.
My weekends are pretty much booked now til winter anyway with family camping and kayaking. Can't complain, I still get to wet a line out in the kayaks