rudder for pirogue | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

rudder for pirogue

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bellybuster said:
no offence but you guys are missing the point entirely....I like to build stuff, a sane reason is not necessary. Things pop in my head and I do it. That's how I ended up with a pirogue in the 1st place. Allot of my schemes fail and allot work wonders.
Wait for it, I haven't even told you my plans for mounting the motor. Totally wacked

Use a drop down skeg that will move up over solid objects and can be retracted if it becomes necessary....... It is up to you to figure out how to do it , that I will keep to myself for now.

I enjoy keeping people thinking about things when they are trying to sleep. :lol:

Chuck.......
Hint the plans for it are on the web.

OK, a little more work on the prototype. It's looking like the prototype may be the final edition. Did some work on the rudder blade, gave it some foil so it will create less drag, it will be soaked in epoxy prior to assembly. I like the top steering mech although some shaping for asthetics is required and the "levers" do not need to be near as long. It's coming
I just can't see building a wooden boat only to put a store bought rudder on it
dsc00923y.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I was cogitating over a wooden rudder assembly for a couple months. Would think about it as I drifted off to sleep. I conjured up a universal joint (like on a socket set) made of wood. Was a ball with holes drilled for gimbals in two axes. (A long "e" there; I'm talking about pivot points, not chopper things)

But, since you don't want any more input, BellyBuster, I hope you didn't read this. And, just in case you did, go back to zero and forget it. (Your eyes are growing heavy. You are sleepy. You are now thinking of Bambii - the nurse gymnast. When I clap my hands you will forget everything.)

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Bellybuster said:
....I like to build stuff, a sane reason is not necessary... That's how I ended up with a pirogue in the 1st place...

That is one of the more sensible things I've heard lately. I think a LOT of us can relate to that.

G

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Bellybuster said:
where were you when I started this messed up idea Jimmy Boy???? That there is a nice easy design I may have to make some modifications to the prototype.
Thanks for the link, is it your design??
No, it isn't my design. It was fitted onto one of Matt's boat designs and posted on his site.

well. the rudder is coming along nicely. I totally re engineered the top mechanism to allow for raising and lowering the rudder. Right now I am putting fibreglass on the blade itself, it s made of ash but a bit of protection is cheap and easy with leftover resin and glass I had layin around.
One complete, I'm gonna try it just with foot stirrups instead of pedals to see whether it's worth building pedals. From the looks of things so far it will be as good as store bought only better suited to a wooden boat.
I'll get some pics up tonight

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BB, the word "stirrups" related to a kayak makes me shiver. Please, do NOT have an assembly into which you slide your foot! Do NOT insert your toes or feet into anything in a boa, even a pirogue. In a capsize (and, that's WHEN, not if) you can become entangled and escape can be delayed. If escape is delayed for, say, only 30 seconds - guess where you end up?

I may be sounding an alarm here that's already gone off in your head, and if so, sorry for going over plowed ground. I just don't want your new widow to write in and say you are no longer with us.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
BB, the word "stirrups" related to a kayak makes me shiver. Please, do NOT have an assembly into which you slide your foot! Do NOT insert your toes or feet into anything in a boa, even a pirogue. In a capsize (and, that's WHEN, not if) you can become entangled and escape can be delayed. If escape is delayed for, say, only 30 seconds - guess where you end up?

You can count me in with Jack on that , DO NOT attach yourself to anything in the boat , unless it is a sail boat and you are working on deck. Then a safety line is an necessity.

Any other boat being attached to it is a sure way to give the wife the name of Widow. You could even say it is hazardous to your health. :roll:

Chuck.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
oldsparkey said:
...DO NOT attach yourself to anything in the boat , unless it is a sail boat and you are working on deck. Then a safety line is an necessity....
Chuck.

I just wanted to mention that the safety lanyard on a motor boat is also an exception to the rule. Kills the motor if you go overboard, so the boat doesn't circle around and run you over. Of course those are specifically designed to come loose when the accident happens.

George

OK as stated above, I've done allot of work redesigning my rudder. he mounting portion is more traditional now and the raise lower method is also similar to the way the store bought jobbies work. I have not rigged with lnes yet so can't comment on how well the raise/lower work.
dsc01112htx.jpg

having a hard time resizing the other pics....wait one