rudder for pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

rudder for pirogue

anyone ever build a wooden rudder for a pirogue. I'm wanting to build one that can be operated by foot pedals that I will also build myself. This goes in part with another project I'm working on, a flip down electric motor. Once I get my ideas on paper I'll post something.
I'm also trying to find a suitable switch to replace the 1-5 speed switch on my motor, want one that is fully adjustable instead of selected speeds

thanks for any info folks

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not sure if it would work but one on the rheostats use for lights , push it to turn it on or off and rotate the knob for the desired power.
Or use a toggle switch with the restate , the toggle to turn on the power and the restate to control the amount of power.

Chuck.

OK, came home from work and started bainstorming the moment I walked in. This is what I have so far, these are jst scraps I had layin around. The idea is good I think and I may go with it. Blade will equire a bt of shaping and a means to raise it when shallow will have to be devised yet but it's gettin there
dsc00734b.jpg

dsc00735i.jpg

dsc00738ket.jpg

dsc00739w.jpg

dsc00740vlo.jpg

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Buy a trolling motor with a plip up mount,you pull one rope and it will be up on your back deck,also a hardwire remote footpeddle has steering and speed control mounted on it ,they also have a wireless.
Ron
PS Look up Minn Kota motors.

those motors cost way too much and kinda defeat my DIY nature, hense the wooden boat. Would be nice though. If I could afford that I'd probly go bassyak route.
Half te reason I like the motor close to me is so I can clear the prop of weeds, if it is hangin off the back of the boat I can't reach

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I like the way this guy thinks - all kinky eyed and just off base enough to make sense. At first I thought, "Why would anyone want to clutter up a simple boat with electrical stuff and steering gear?? UGH!"

But, I know that I get crazy image ideas like that sometimes too. I KNOW that Ronnie (TX River Rat) has images floating around in his head - and they aren't sugar plums either. He designs things in his head, then builds them. I'm thinking that our Canuck friend Belly Buster does something like this too? Related to Red Green, maybe? Go for it; I'm interested as hell! Good to see something about boats on here again - I'm getting tired of us geezers peeing and moaning about politickal stuff. AARGGHH!

My Dad designed a house in his head, cut out all the framing members, and assembled them. That house still stands today not far from here. Wiring and plumbing diagrams were in his head too.

mds

Jul 9, 2009
Delaware
Have you used McMasterCarr for supplies? I use them at work for things like bolts, plastic, springs and bushings. They have several reostats that look like they would work. Must orders arrive next day.
I did a quick search of Kayak rudder and several came up, including directions for installation. I like to look at the pictures and get ideas, as I don't want to reinvent the wheel completely. It looks like they use the guide wire locations to create the swing to streamline the design. That would eliminate the "tee" you show in the pictures. Using a bungee cord or spring on the pedals would allow it to self center to neutral when you remove pressure. A tab on the top of the rudder would allow for a point to pull the rudder up with a rope to help clear it. Hope these help, just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BB, here's a thought. Instead of a horizontal Tee bar for cable fastening and rotation, think of a circle there. If 12 o'clock is straight forward, and 6 o'clock is aft, route cables around the edge from, say 3 to 5 and 9 to 7 o'clock positions. Anchor points would be at 5 & 7.

A circle will provide a constant rate of turn for a given amount of rudder pedal deflection. A Tee provides variable rate of deflection for a given amount of rudder pedal deflection. Just another thought for your busy head.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I'm having a hard time figuring out why you don't just rig up a steering system to steer the motor. I understand the "hands free" part, but wouldn't it be simpler to construct foot controls that rotate the motor? (I'm probably missing something here - sorry).

For speed control, I don't think a rheostat made for controlling a lamp is going to be built to handle the current that you need. A lighting rheostat will be built for 15 amps, probably, and that ain't enough even for a small motor. A decent electrical supply ought to have something, though.

George

hey gbinga, tanks for the input. Steering just the motor is an option, I have 2 reasons why I don't want to go that route. I want my motor to be close enuff to me that I can remove weeds from he prop, easiest place to install the motor would be the rear end....can't reach. I would like to keep the motor stock as much as possible and easily removed, lengthening wires is easily reversed. Oh and 3, the rudder will also be useful without the motor.
This really is just an idea I'm keeping myself busy with, I may never complete it, or, I might. I like to think out loud. I also love to build for nothing, things that cost $$$$$. A decent store bought rudder runs $250-$400. I figure mine will end up around $30

no offence but you guys are missing the point entirely....I like to build stuff, a sane reason is not necessary. Things pop in my head and I do it. That's how I ended up with a pirogue in the 1st place. Allot of my schemes fail and allot work wonders.
Wait for it, I haven't even told you my plans for mounting the motor. Totally wacked