Sasquatch 14x30 ... Done , a 30 pound Ugley Canoe. | SouthernPaddler.com

Sasquatch 14x30 ... Done , a 30 pound Ugley Canoe.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
After a lot of careful thought and re looking at the 14 x30 on Matt's web site and checking out the kit Matt offers I decided to get one and give it a try.

The kit arrived and it was up, up and away, faster then a speeding bullet .... "O"op's wrong person, more like a turtle with a broken leg just creeping along for me. Heck it is summer here no reason to move in a hurry and work up a sweat. The canoe will get done .... Sometime , then I can enjoy it.

As they say all good things come to a close and after the enjoyment of making this canoe it is not closure but a bright , shinny , new beginning for a lot of serious paddling and camping with it.

Here are the boring facts and costs.........................

The pre cut kit from JEM Watercraft......Today's cost....... $515.00
Fiberglass from Raka........ 4oz..... 6 feet ..........................$11.50
3.25 tight woven 16 feet............$25.00
Epoxy , 6 qt kit........................$93.00
Pine Flour.................................$4.00
Glass Bubbles...........................$4.75
Praigis............ Ash and Cain canoe seat............................$30.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not needed but I wanted them on this build.
CLC.................Pre Kote from Interlux.................................$25.50
Brightsides (Teflon) Paint.............................$33.50
Total.............$742.25

This is not taking into the cost of .. Sandpaper, Rubber Gloves, masking tape, Acetone, Some spare wood for the trim on the gunnel's and thwarts, Paper Towels, Paint Rollers, Sand Paper, Budweiser Beer, Ice Tea, Ice for the tea, disposable paint brushes, Sandpaper, Budweiser Beer, Sandpaper, more rubber (disposable gloves, Trash bags, sand paper, Budweiser , paper towels.

Not bad for a 14 X 30 canoe that only weighs 30 pounds and if I was to go out and purchase one, if they matched the weight the cost would be about 3X's or more over what I have spent.

Plus it would not be wood and built the way I wanted it but then I would have had to be happy with what they told me I wanted. NO THANKS.

I prefer to have it my way......... ESPECIALLY ... for a third of the cost. I don't count my labor, it is a labor of love and that is free for every boat I build.

Now you are sitting there scratching somebody part, mumbling to yourself .... I can get one for a lot less .. Yes, You can. A generic, run of the mill, plastic one but it will cost more, a bit more due to taxes.
It will not be a one of a kind, custom built by you for you and only you, no matter how hard someone tries to copy it. I could not build a twin to it, that is impossible to do, might look like it but it sure would not be the same.

Now if you got the wood (I could have and saved a lot since I use cheep wood) but I wanted to build one of Matt's Kits since I have always gone from the plans and not from a kit on all the other boats I have made from JEM Watercraft.

This one was built by an Old Fart that builds custom boats for his use and wants them the way he thinks they should be, pure and simple but a lot better looking boats then the builder.

It is not homemade , ( That is an insult to the folks on here that build boats for there enjoyment).
It is a custom crafted boat built by a home craftsman/owner for the way the builder wanted it since we don't have a rapid, make the same one all the time, boat building business, I dare you to find one we make from any manufacturer.

OK....

I have had my say ....... Let you know about the cost and options .... Here are some pictures of the final chunks of wood I slapped together for my enjoyment . paddling , camping pleasure and just some down right fun on the water.

If you want one....... Get Busy and build it.

Chuck.

Now for the pictures since they say a picture is worth 1,000 words and I do not want to overload this computer with them.

The Left side from the bow.........
14x30%20050.jpg

The left side from the stern
14x30%20052.jpg

She sits mighty high ..................
14x30%20056.jpg

The stern..........
14x30%20057.jpg

The Bow...........
14x30%20058.jpg

The Right side........
14x30%20060.jpg

The overall picture of it ...FLOATING......:lol:
14x30%20062.jpg

I have not paddle it , the weather here is 80% rain and wind , so the canoe will sit for a few weeks and cure then a sanding , some varnish and on the water. By then it should be getting to some paddling weather.
Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
That is an awesome build , I take my hat off to the master,
Oh how was the okhume compared to the peanut wood , do that answer backchannel if you want.
:lol: :lol:
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Chuck
That is an awesome build , I take my hat off to the master,
Oh how was the okhume compared to the peanut wood , do that answer backchannel if you want.
:lol: :lol:
Ron

NOPE......

Will answer it right here........

When I get a kit ( Matt's 14x30 Sasquatch , Canoe in this case and the past the Pygmy Coho , kayak , I have made) It is the wood the kit maker furnishes , Just as simple as that. :D

When I make a boat from plans then as you called it , The Peanut wood is what I use and am use to working with. I call it the $9.95 for a 4x8 sheet of the Luann door skin. Made a lot of boats with it and I still use them and a few friends that have some of the boats I have made are still paddling them.
No matter what someone tries to tell me .. the wood is nothing more then what makes the shape and wood tones in the boats we make. It is all the plastics and chemicals we use that holds them together and lets us have something to paddle. The wood is the filler and the item that is beautiful to the eye and makes everyone say .... "O" A Wood Boat. :D

If anything I have had some of the door skins to make boats from that had a better wood grain showing then the expensive stuff. The kit manufacturers have to use the more expensive wood since they have to think of all the liabilities involved and to protect themselves. Who wants to purchase a kit from someone selling the inferior ( Jacks words about the Luann , not mine about the wood I like to use ) wood to make a boat from. :?

I could of saved over half of the cost on this build , might of been more , by doing what I normally do but I wanted to build one of Matt's Kits and , needless to say it was money well spent , anyway I think it was.
Matt's kits are top notch and worth every Penney for the customer and a dam sight less in cost then the others out there. :D

All it boils down to is if the builder is happy with the boat , YEP.. I sure am but I was shooting for 28 pounds , will settle for the 30. Hell It weighs less then the backpack I use for overnight trips on our local rivers , the pack weighs 37 pounds. :oops:

I have made the Sasquatch 14 x 30 from the kit , am very happy with it and would suggest it to anyone. If I make another then I will do it the old way with the Peanut :lol: wood just for the fun of it since I have one to paddle. :D

As far as being the master builder , NOPE.. Just a lucky so an so that had everything work out like the way all of you guy's do it when you build your boats. One of these years I might get as good as the rest of you , well , anyway about building wood boats. :wink:

Chuck.
PS. Checking Matt's web site .. the plans are extra ... he included them with the kit so if I make one from the plans then I would send Matt a check for the plans , a person has to be honest in there dealings and honesty about building boats on here is a must. The rest :lol: :lol: :lol:

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
s

If , I say [if], your wife insists that you get rid of that pile of scrap wood. I would reluctantly, repeat, reluctantly drive to Fl. and cart it away for you.

I would do this just because I feel it is important to keep America beautifull. I would accomplish this by hiding it in my shed and only using it during the week when most people are at work. That way, it would not be seen by many and would not offend the general populace.

Just drop an e-mail with directions and a time for me to pick it up. Make sure it is dark, I would not want to be sen in public with it during daylight.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: s

a Bald Cypress said:
If , I say [if], your wife insists that you get rid of that pile of scrap wood. I would reluctantly, repeat, reluctantly drive to Fl. and cart it away for you.

I would do this just because I feel it is important to keep America beautiful. I would accomplish this by hiding it in my shed and only using it during the week when most people are at work. That way, it would not be seen by many and would not offend the general population. I would not want to be sen in public with it during daylight.

I appreciate your thoughts but as hard as I tried today , it ( shutter , gasp , groan) was seen in public today. I tried my best to get it three blocks on down the the lake for the pictures and sure as heck , some folks drove past and had to stop to look at it. Then they said they wanted one , some folks just have no taste for the finer things in life. :roll:

I was totally ashamed to be seen in public with it on the portage cart for those three blocks to the lake, If anything they did not know who I am since I had torn shorts , hip boots , a disgusting "T" Shirt ( it did not say southernpaddler on it ) a non describe hat and a fake beard. I looked like a younger and taller Kayak Jack. :lol:

Then on the way back after the picture taking a guy who knows me pulls up and out of his mouth .... Most folks walk dogs with hair on them........ NO Respect...... NONE.

Even the guy's on the Thursday Garbage pick up motioned to me with thumbs us and then pointing at the back of there truck as I got near my driveway and they were just emptying my garbage cans.

I appreciate your offer and will keep it in mind but I really do not wish to assign or saddle this burden to anyone , especially a friend.

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Re: s

oldsparkey said:
Even the guy's on the Thursday Garbage pick up motioned to me with thumbs us and then pointing at the back of there truck as I got near my driveway and they were just emptying my garbage cans.

Maybe they wondered if you wanted them to wait for ya, so you could empty out the back of your truck while they were around. Rather than just have it sitting out at the curb for another week.

DM
mike

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Well done Ole Spare Key. No offense meant, but I figgered ya built it with yer hands. :mrgreen: I hope I git a chance ta tote it someday. I reckon a 30 pounder oughta make yer heart doctor smile.

regards
bearridge

It aint what ya dont know that hurts ya. What really puts a hurtin' on ya iz what ya knows fer sho, that jest aint so. Uncle Remus

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear........

When we get together on a trip for a small fee I would be more then happy to let you try it , the fee is a picture of you paddling it [ I have a spare camera lens]. That would prove it can hold a lot of ???? , Nope wrong word ........The right one is ..... Paddler

As far as toting it , the sucker just sits on my shoulders using the forward part of the seat , don't have to hold it at all , just rides along with you.

If anything I got the balance just right like I did on the one pirogue for toting it over land. John D took the pirogue across Floyd's Island in the swamp and drank a beer while doing it , a no hands overland tote. Can do the same with this canoe and it is two pounds lighter. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not sure about the tide since I really do not care for salt water but I sure hope it will go up stream.
My solo trips are always up stream at the start when I am fresh , then some camping and the easy part after that , down stream to the buggy.
Not sure why it is but the trip after camping , going back to the vehicle is always a lot easier. :D

Chuck.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Just looked over Mick's build of his canoe. And now I see your's......Both beauties........... :lol:

Okie dokie..... touring pirouge build.....laker 15'5"....special designed pod....(Matt any news on that by the way?).....and...hmmmmmmmm...... :shock:

plenty of work there to help me get back to me ole self again...... :roll:

Best be checkin out that bank account............ :wink:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Chuck,

Good points mate. I think we might be saying pretty much the same thing only putting it a little differently. :D

If I could get the kits here, I would do so.

For me, the slightly thicker Luann costs about $13 per sheet. The outside veneers are a little thicker than the 3mm stuff and the ply is generally easier to use than the door skins.

What attracts me to the Okoume/Gaboon is in part, the beauty of the grain but more importantly the weight of the ply. 4mm Gaboon is significantly lighter than 3mm door skin (the stuff I can get anyway."

Anyway mate, You have done a magnificent job on you boat (as usual) The weight you have achieved is extra-ordinary. Bloody well done mate!