Sasquatch - First blood. | SouthernPaddler.com

Sasquatch - First blood.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Blooded Sasquatch today, :D Now she is a proper boat. :D

Put in about 2 hours bfore high tide at my little local creek, Toogoom, again this morning. bright and early.

016640x480.jpg

Paddled upstream with the tide for a few miles, just enjoying the scenery and paddling such a magnificent boat. (Thank you Matt. i bloody LOVE this boat.) :D

021640x480.jpg

023640x480.jpg

024640x480.jpg

025640x480.jpg

This one just warmed my cold old heart. :D

028640x480.jpg

more shortly. :D

Tor

That looks bloody wonderful...

Mick, can you do me a favour and take a piccy of the bow an how you've finished the gunwhales at the pointy end, it looks a bit different to another picture you have used to describe how to do this (or is it just the angle).

Tor

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Turn of the tide, Drifted along the banks casting unweighted baits at structure. Very quickly, three of these little fellers were in the bag. 8)

first Blood!

027640x480.jpg

031640x480.jpg

Nice easy paddle back down stream with the tide, casting at likely places along the way for zip. .doesn't matter. :D

Pulled into a yabbie bank for some fresh live bait.

030640x480.jpg

A bit of scenery that I passed along the way. :D

037640x480.jpg

040640x480.jpg

041640x480.jpg

042640x480.jpg

Enticed a few whiting to the live bait.

043640x480.jpg

Guys, I had a great time today. The fact that I caught a few fish was a bonus. The joy for me was paddling Matt's beautiful boat. I am not really a canoe bloke. Allways paddled kayaks and skis. I just don't have enough good words to say about this boat.

I don't bother about fancy "J" strokes and such. I just paddle along and change sides when I need to. Usually about 6 or 7 strokes on each side in this boat.

I have only ever paddled her beside kayaks before so had no real comparison to judge by. I knew she was fast because she had no trouble keeping pace with Hobie Adventures at Adventure cruising pace. Today, there was a new looking Pelican brand, Canadian Canoe (about 16 feet) at Toogoom. (I think Pelican is an American brand) a fine looking canoe anyway. There were two hefty yougish blokes paddling it and they were paddling like they were doing it for exercise. (working hard). I had no trouble at all keepin pace with them and I was just cruising in my lovely Sasquatch. :shock: :D

When I put some power strokes in, I just left em for dead. 8)

These blokes were looking down their noses at my wood boat at the put in :twisted: One of em even had the audacity to make a smart arse remark like " Can't you afford to buy a proper canoe mate?" :shock: We put in at about the same time and headed in the same direction. In the end, they got really pissed because they had no chance of keeping up with me. They turned round after about a mile with a few colourful expletives 8) and went back the other way. when I got back to the put in they wouldn't even talk to me. :lol:

I think what really got em pissed with me was after watchen the pair of these big strong young blokes struggling to load their canoe on the roof of their car, I just casually lifted mine over my head (kayak fashion) and gently eased it onto my racks - easy. 8)

If anybody who is reading this post is considering building a Canadian, have a look at the Sasquatch by Matt. She is a true paddlers boat, and testament to the genius that is Matt Langenfield. capable of astonishing performance that just eats up the miles effortlessly.

She is rock solid stable (I stood up in her today - just to piss these arrogant pratts off even more) manouverable enough and capable of carrying a huge payload. Oh yeah, she is also a very, very good boat from which to catch the odd fish or two. 8) :D

050640x480.jpg

048640x480.jpg

052640x480.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
I think what really got em pissed with me was after watchen the pair of these big strong young blokes struggling to load their canoe on the roof of their car, I just casually lifted mine over my head (kayak fashion) and gently eased it onto my racks - easy.
Friend Mick,

I love it....even tho I am partial ta lite plastic. Puttin' arseholes in their place iz high on the list of the best things in life. :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards
bearridge

ps Boat 'n fish look swell. How much does it weigh?

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The Indians around these parts developed an absolutely classic craft. Plywood and Mat have improved upon it. Only way I can think of making it even more useful would be a snap on spray deck for rough waters. Or, a sail. Or, Bambii as a paddling partner.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
I can't tell...does Mick like the boat? :p

Let's not proclaim me the greatest thing since sliced bread...... yet. I just listen to what folks want. Then I draw it.

I would say that Matt is definetly not sliced bread , it gets moldy and stale.
Matt is cooler , golden and refreshing with his thoughts............ sort of like this........:D :lol:

IMGP0875019640x480.jpg

Nice pictures Mick , makes me feel like I was there with you snearing back at those Yuppies.

Chuck.