Saturday afternoon on the water | SouthernPaddler.com

Saturday afternoon on the water

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Yesterday after work, the weather was cooperating around here except for some wind, I decided to go pick up the crab trap I had set earlier in the week. Got on the water about 3:30pm at dead low tide. Paddled to where I had dropped my trap and low and behold the bounty of the sea, or at least the georgia marsh.
SDC10880.jpg

Had 11 crabs in my trap. Spent the rest of the afternoon exploring and fishing and caught the one trout in the picture on a D.O.A. shrimp under a poping cork. Saw several spot tail bass swirling the surface but couldn't coax one into biting.

Here are a couple of pictures of those crabs before they became dinner and getting ready to enjoy.
SDC10883.jpg

SDC10884.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Now THAT's the way to catch fish (or crabs, or whatever). I get bored sitting with a pole or rod in my hand. After about 10 minutes, I start thinking of all the exciting times I COULD be having - sorting sox, painting picket fences, curing warts, etc. etc. Traps make sense to me; they do the work while I take a nap.

NOTE to all: If Piper San is anywhere in the state, with bagpipe in hand, taking a nap is a difficult enterprise to do.

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
I usually can't catch enough for my son and myself when I go. He can tear through a bunch of crabs when we catch some. My better half was the receipiant of the the speck for dinner that night. Now I just need to catch a few more of those so I can have some as well!!!!

Steve

Tell ya what, Kelly. . . you get yourself a good mess of specks, scale 'em and fillet 'em with the skin still on, sprinkle 'em with some seasoning, Zataran's or Tony's, or whatever you like and then smoke 'em on the pit just long enough to get a light brown smoke color over the white meat and you have yourself some doggone fine eating. . . and the missus will claim you is a gourmet chef on the grill to all her friends when she tastes that. . . . :lol:

Dang. . . I just thought of something. . . . Specks are getting ready to make their fall run back home. . . . the flounder, too. . . . AAARRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :shock: :(

:wink:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Now settle down Steve. I will be happy to catch some of each, cook, eat, and then report to you how much you enjoyed them. Might even throw in some crabs. Anything for a buddy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
Now settle down Steve. I will be happy to catch some of each, cook, eat, and then report to you how much you enjoyed them. Might even throw in some crabs. Anything for a buddy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob

Heck have some Shrimp with all the rest , go whole hog and take a lot of pictures for Steve. :lol:

Something like this .... Everglades trip in 07...... Shrimp an Scallops in garlic , butter , Italian spices , lemon juice , olive oil and wine. While out CAMPING for supper one evening.
GLADES%20034.jpg

Or lunch , fresh speck ( spotter weak fish and reds ) we had plenty fed 5 ( the three of us and two guests from New York down there camping an paddling) with left overs. Me dishing some up to make room to cook more. :lol:
GLADES%20146.jpg

No , that is not snow on the ground , just some good South Florida white beach sand.

Chuck. :lol: :lol: :lol:

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Yep the trout, reds, flounder and sheephead are getting to start their fall run around here. This is why I decided to build my boat to get access to more fishing that what I could reach from the bank around here. Plus the shrimp are getting to move up in the creeks as well. Saturday when I was out at low tide I had small bait shrimp jumping in the boat. Probably had a dozen or so when I got back to the boat ramp. Now for the big boys to start showing up to cast net for.

Steve

Conversation at Steve 'n' Susie's over dinner tonight. . . . .

Steve: "Honey, y'thinks we kin drive down to Texas next week and go fishin'? Huh? Please, pretty please. . . Can we? Please, huh? Pretty please?"

Susie, with all the love and admiration she could muster: "Now, Honey, you know we have to work. . . Besides, we have the wedding to plan. . . There's bills to pay. . . and, course, we still have to pay for. . . ."

Steve, hanging his head, in shame, tears streaming down his face: "Yes, Dear. . . ."