sinus sufferer's remedy | SouthernPaddler.com

sinus sufferer's remedy

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Been home the last two days with a severe sinus attack. Raw sinuses, nasal drip, coughing , sneezing---fun stuff. Finally felt a little better and did a little surfing and learned about nasal flushing. It involves flushing pollens, dust and other irritants out of your sinuses with a warm saline solution. It's a little awkward and a little gross but it seems to be helping tremendously. Just Google "sinus flushing".

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joey, sorry to hear of your travails. I hope you get well soon. A rubber ear syringe works well for this operation. Good technique to kill a cold early on too.

(Try to not think of okra while flushing that stuff out of your sinuses. That should help to prevent the gagging reflex.)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
A rubber ear syringe is exactly what I had on hand to use. I'm going to start using this technique as a preventative when I go out on the water or into the woods. I probably am allergic to some kind of pollen that I picked up around Lake Verret.

dawallace45

Well a mate of mine had severe sinus problems when the ragweed came out in bloom up in Clermont so he asked me for advice [ fool ] I told him to get a teaspoon of corn flour and sniff half of it up each nostril , he actually did it , reckoned it did work , of course my theory was it would thicken it up some and stop it dripping , now I suffer from hay-fever something chronic and the nose running like a tap isn't new but there is no way known that I'd sniff cornflour my self , I just take anti-histamine

David

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
dawallace45, I had it bad and it gave me IMMEDIATE relief for an hour or so. I don't know about you, but I've never had immediate relief from any thing over the counter. I'm sold. Since they changed our insurance at work to a crummy plan, I might have to be using more of these home remedies.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Tried a new product over the last week or so. It's called a Jala Netti Pot. It has been used as a cleansing tool for centuries in India. It is shaped like a small tea kettle. The tip of the spout is shaped to seal against your nostril. You fill it with warm water, add a quarter teaspoon of salt per 8 oz. of water. You bend over and insert the spout against your nostril and slowly tilt the pot and let the water go in one nostril and out the other.

Using it 3 or 4 times a day, I have been free of congestion and it even cleared up the infection, which always took a doctor's visit, antibiotics and about a week and a half to clear up. I have all my friends using it and they have had similar results. Allergy sufferers, you need to try this.

Joey

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Re sinus flushing, saw a Indian yoga dude doing/recommending it years ago. Add salt to taste, remember you'll be swallowing a heap of salt.
Nother thing to remember sinus cavities act as a resevoir which can and will empty itself when IT chooses, you've been warned. Nother warning, you'll probly do it in the shower, guaranteed your wife will find evidence quicker than you will, You've been double warned.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, actually you don't have to do anything different to use the device. You just bend over and tilt your head to one side and start the procedure. You breath gently through your mouth -- you don't have to close your throat. It sounds like it would be awkward, but you quickly become comfortable with it. I actually look forward to using it because of the relief it gives.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm trying to picture a TV ad for this.

"Ron Popiel here for the Snot-o-Matic. Just $19.95 - but WAIT! if you call in right now we'll add two quarts of flushing fluid. A value of $0.02. Operators are standing by NOW!"

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
An update. Before using the Netti Pot, I was getting a sinus flair-up just about every time I went out in the pirogue. Since I have been using it the last 6 months I have had ZERO severe sinus attacks. Brought the wife to the mall in Baton Rouge a couple of months back and sneezed a few times and had the beginnings of a light headache. Came home and used the Pot and sneezing and headache went away.

Only side effects I've found is that it relieves symptoms. :)

Joey