sinus sufferer's remedy | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

sinus sufferer's remedy

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
geezers i don,t think it is so much as the sinuses as it is allergies. i know what you guys that have had this problem this year are talking about. i,m not as old of some of you geezers (47) but i have never in my life had allergies like i have this year. most of the time i don,t have the headakes like with sinuses but when i get an attack i start sneezing & cant quit. sometimes i have sneezed for several hours at times.

some one at work told me about the salt or saline washing out your nose . i hadn,t heard of it till then. also he told me about the local honey. i like honey & have some but it isn,t local. i dont know if i can get use to doing the saline thing so i guess i may have to get me some local honey. :wink:

i guess we don,t get to old of a geezer to learn new tricks. :lol: all i know is when you have one of these attacks it is very anoying. i feel for you guys too.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Never heard about the local honey treatment. Might be worth a try. A nice hunk of warm cornbread dripping with local honey- strictly for medicinal purposes, of course.

All I know is that the sinus flush works for me every time. I get symptom relief within MINUTES instead of the days it takes using the doctor/shot/antibiotics route. A few pennies of salt solution - instant relief. Doctor/shot/antibiotics $300.00 - several days for significant relief. Uuuhhh, I think I'll pick the first option.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
catfish said:
geezers i don,t think it is so much as the sinuses as it is allergies. i know what you guys that have had this problem this year are talking about. i,m not as old of some of you geezers (47) but i have never in my life had allergies like i have this year. most of the time i don,t have the headakes like with sinuses but when i get an attack i start sneezing & cant quit. sometimes i have sneezed for several hours at times.

Catfish, the sinus problems are caused by an allergic reaction to something in the air. It could be pollen, dust, smoke, chemicals, etc. It's just your body's attempt to get rid of the irritant by secreting more mucus to flush it out. Pain comes when the passages are blocked and that causes pressure. My body's reaction is a constant drip, drip, drip in the back of my throat which causes sore throat and chronic coughing ( used to be weeks of coughing) . Some people sneeze or get watery eyes.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
JD
I use the netti pot also with good results , but :shock: :shock: Things can go wrong . Here is a pot I mad on another forum a year are so back.
If you read the post on the Neches river paddle ,you know I had come down with sinus and a cold.
I have been in the steel business all my life and a tape measure and laying stuff out is all I did for years. I can cook but it is not my strong point.
Enough background,I was misrable when I got up this morning so I decided I would do one of those nasil flushes ,they had worked well before. I was out of the solution so went on the internet
to get the measurements I needed ,well they have a new twist beside salt they were adding baking soda to the mix. The way my head was hurting figured I would try it. I mixed the solution up got my little pot warmed it to above body temprature and started trying it.WOWWWWWWWWWWWW
thats when the thunder started rolling and lighting flashing,and I sure was thinkig about the dashing part. my ears started crunching like some one was trying to crumple up a roll of wax paper,eyes went to watering my head felt like someone had put it in a vise and then started pulling everything into a new shape,and burn lord I thought my head was at a bar b que and was the main meat on the pit, then my eyes felt like they were going from being oriental to a big eyed bug and then reversing.
Then I really got in trouble my better half said your sinuses are probably inflamed let me try it. So she got her little pot ,lite her up to. After a few minutes she said let me see that recipe of the solution ,so I pulled it back up.
The next words out of her mouth was YOU BIG DUMMY NOT TABLE SPOON TEA SPOON dang it was a spoon to me :shock:

WDfrmTN

jdupre' said:
Been home the last two days with a severe sinus attack. Raw sinuses, nasal drip, coughing , sneezing---fun stuff. Finally felt a little better and did a little surfing and learned about nasal flushing. It involves flushing pollens, dust and other irritants out of your sinuses with a warm saline solution. It's a little awkward and a little gross but it seems to be helping tremendously. Just Google "sinus flushing".
Been using Niel's (NielMed.com now) flushes for years. Swear by that stuff.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Ouch! I never put too much salt but I did forget the salt ONE time. Plain water up your nose ain't no fun either. :shock:

I figure that little pot has saved me thousands of dollars these last few years, not to mention untold suffering. The very first time I used it, I got immediate relief. I have NEVER taken any kind of sinus medication that even came close to that.

Joey

islandpiper

Joey, i'd pay you a dollar to fill that nelli pot of yours with honey and run it up your nose. WDfrmTN seems to indicate that honey works wonders. I wonder how long it would take to get it back out...... Might sweeten up your morning though. Your sinuses would BEE clear. piper