Some pics from Oz - just testing | SouthernPaddler.com

Some pics from Oz - just testing

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Ah ha!!

Sorry about the quality guys - still learnin. Anyway, that one was taken at Hervey Bay the other day. The green camo one is my current 'stealth boat' that I use for fishin skinny water (soon to be replaced by a swamp-girl) and the white one is a locally made, smallish fibreglass job that I use for fishin offshore in.

regards,

Mick

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
About three years ago, Doug, Charlie, and I were in Killarney Provincial Park in Ontario. Situated off the NE'ly corner of Lake Huron, this is the remains of a lot of glacial activity. The rocks themselves were formed by the glacier. Two to three miles deep, it pressed the sand into solid, quartzite rock. Granite boulders still bear scars of stone-laden ice sliding up and over.

Charlie was sitting on the edge of a boulder washing his feet, and gazing off into a few hundred miles of nothingness. Slowly, a big turtle just emerged from the depths; he just rose up and then we could see him.

Now, these snapping turtles aren't as vicious as a croc that will drag you off and eat you. But, they'll do a messy job of amputating a toe or two and bring tears to your eyes. Charlie jumped up and yelled, and of course Doug and I said it was just a mud turtle. And, anyway, Charlie isn't as cute as your wife must be.

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
pics

Mick: Beautiful pictures; Any man that takes pictures of the clouds , and especially where they meet the horizon of the ocean is top drawer in my book. Nothing reflects a mans worth more than his love of nature, as displayed in those pictures, in my opinion.

Congratulations on making the grade of posting pictures. I'm still working on it. Maybe someday I'll get there. Al Dasen.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Opps..... First you got to reduce the size of the photo you post to the web at your holding place. It is coming up bigger than my screen here and I don't see any buttons to edit my post to take it out. Use a photo editing program before you send it to the web to reduce the size...physical dimensions of the photo before you send it up.

( I trust you don't mind but I got rid of that oversize picture....the edit button is in the upper right hand corner of the screen :wink: .... :lol: :lol: ......Chuck)

dawallace45

Hey Mick , where about you live ? I'm from Miriam Vale , been away from the list for some months , just moved down from Clermont , I'm in the process of building my new house but taking a little time off now and then to go fishing ,

Regards

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hey dowallace,

sorry about the late reply mate, i only just found my way back to this thread. I live at Torbanlea.

Do you get down to 1770 much. Excellent paddlin there.

For our American cousins, 1770 is the name of a small coastal town in central Queensland. A truly beautiful place, a small fishing villiage with no highrise yet. It is named after the year when our country was discovered by the British Commander James Cook in Her Majesties Barque, Endeavour. tis the second place he landed on our shores in - you guessed it 1770. :D

He and his mob did very, very well not to be speared by the local Kabi Kabi or Butchella people. Both tribes were, and are still fierce warriers, ferocious in the defence of their land and utterly fearless.
people.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Here be one of me workin the flats of my local river.
BURRUMHEADS034.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
....mainly all of us wearin' fine lookin' hats. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards,
bearridge

My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch. Jack Nicholson

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That's a floating hat. If you sink, they know where to look. One of those is handy in the suthrin swamps too. Saves SAR bills from running too high.

Up here in Canadian Shield Country, we wear hats made of stainless steel to fend off acid rain (and signals from outer space).

dawallace45

Mick

Torbanlea is only a few hours or so down the road , I get down to 1770 about once a month or so , mostly get the tides wrong , fairly good tidal flow in the creek , want to get up Round Hill creek for a look , the only time I got the tide right the wind was blowing like a bastard the wrong way , been kayaking in Scrubby creek in the Rodds Bay area a few times , love mangrove creeks , always some thing to see , tend to troll a lure a lot too , haven't been paddling for a while , been too busy with building the house lately , plan on having another go at lake Awoonga in about a weeks time to try for another Barra

Regards

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Dave,

I reckon you would do better at Eurimbula Creek. A short paddle up the beach from 1770, completly closed to the commercial guys and is alive with barra, grunter and jacks.

I lived at Gladstone for about 13 years and never even saw a barra at lake Awonga. i reckon they are over-rated as a fighting and eating fish anyway.

A

Anonymous

Mick

Have been thinking of Eurimbula Creek but was considering driving into the creek it's self on the National park track and camping a few days , how far is it up the coast from 1770 ? also what time of year is a good time to get there via the coast , I've noticed that some times the water is nice and flat and other times it's pretty much surf depending on the direction of the wind , my kayaks are for still water , not really suitable for surf , also want to give Middle creek and pancake creek a through going over as well , been to both Eurimbula Creek and Middle creek but only by car , only been down in this neck of the woods for about 8 months or so , was in Clermont for about 9 years before that and the Beachmere / Bribe Island area before that , Baffle Creek is another one I want to explore more from a kayak , was at Awoonga about a month ago and have never seen so many big fish landed , yeah have to agree on the eating quality , it's not bad when soaked in salt water for a few hours before cooking , on a par with saltwater barra but don't even compare with Mangrove jack , threadfin or fingermark , hell I prefer GT's and Pickhandles [ Queenfish to those in the far north [ USA ] ] to Barra

Just on my way out , got to go down to Bundaberg today so I'll just include a bit about my trip to Awoonga , Kayak Jack has already seen this as I sent it to him a day or so after I got back

I've been busy , Ron the mate from Beachmere come up last week to go fishing with me in Lake Awoonga , he's not really a keen fisherman and generally reckons to hate boats and fishing , but since he's going on a trip to Cape York in a few months he figured it may be handy to get a rod and reel and learn how to use it , since he only wanted to get one rod and reel to handle every thing he decided on a SFS Squidgy Barra Spin and a Penn Applause 4000 reel , he just wanted some thing light to handle , some thing better than a Big W combo deal but not too expensive , when the tackle shop guy heard he was going to try it out at lake Awoonga he insisted on putting 30 lb braid on it as well , the rig handled really well and over four days Ron managed to catch three barra , the first two were around 78 cm , including one fat bugger that weighed 8.1 kg , his last one was right on 1.1 metres , to say that he was stoked was a understatement , not bad for some one who hadn't fished before and couldn't even tie a knot a few days prior ,

This place is bloody great , the size of the gear that they are using there seems to be a bit of over kill but what do I know I'm new to all this impoundment stuff , talked to a number of guys who were using what I would have thought of as game fishing gear for trolling , 50 lb braid and 80 lb mono leaders , but they got more fish than me so maybe they are right , Bruce landed a 77 cm barra on 15 lb mono after jigging a large size Tsunami up and down in deep water , his Abu 5000C reel died just as he got it to the boat but the line held , the place was really firing , it wasn't unusual to see several boats hooked up at one time , saw some double hook-ups as well , it was all very educational , I don't suppose it's always that good but if it's even half that good most of the time it would be bloody brilliant , got a bit of a education about braid V's mono for trolling as well , Ron was using 30 lb braid and I was using 15 lb mono , same lure , same length of line out and his was way deeper , meant he got most all the strikes , my baitcaster died too after one hard strike ,

The fish were all hanging deep in the water and it took us a day or two to find the combination of deep diving lure and the right trolling speed ,this was all new to me as well , I really don't think I've ever seen so many big fish landed from one area before , it was just unreal , the atmosphere in the camping park was great too , every one shared information and gave advice freely ,
Every one in our party caught at least one Barra but even if we hadn't the company and scenery in the area would have made it all worth while anyway , the camping park at the top of the hill was full and I doubt that a shoe horn could have helped fit any more in , the carpark at the ramp was full as well , I was certainly getting sick of that walk up the hill to collect the car and trailer by the time we left , most times there was a line up of five or six cars waiting to put in or take out boats , but as pretty much every one had their act together it was only a minute or two to wait for each boat , never seen such a fast turn over time any where before , it was great seeing so many really tricked out boats , hell I don't even spend that sort of money on a new car , I got a lot of favourable comments about my boat and a number of people asked where they could get the plans for it , the only negative thing about the whole time is the lack of sleep , I'm just not used to having noise at night and the road to the dam just didn't stop , and the fishing schedule was full on , after two and a half days I had to go home to get some sleep , already planing another trip to Awoonga ASAP , will have to get some better gear first ,

When the Ron caught his first fish he thought he'd snagged up and was dragging a lump of timber off the bottom , I wasn't so sure , but he continued pumping it in totally convinced it was a snag , when he had most of his line in the fish jumped and it wasn't until I said " Ron your snag just jumped " that he finally realised it was a fish , it was all over by the time he knew what he had , his second fish was different , it was in deep water and it hit his line like a ton of bricks , really caught him by surprise , it was a fish of 78 cm but really fat and it must have been like playing a Billy lid , in all the excitement the mate thought that the fight took only a minute or two but he had the drag set pretty light and it took just under 10 minutes by my watch to bring it in , he had a grin from ear to ear , I wasn't there when he caught the 1.1 metre barra but the guy that was reckons you wouldn't have got the grin off him with a crowbar
Ron is now thinking about getting a boat

David

PS changed my profile and now can't log in

David Wallace AKA Dawallace45

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick ..... You are killing me with the super large pictures ... I managed to shrink this one down but don't ask how......... It went from 1565 wide to 500...........1/3rd of the original. Chuck.

Hey guys, here is one of our Burrum River (about 7 miles from my home and about 3 miles down stream from the launch-

buxtonpaddle015.jpg