South Florida Archery season in full swing! | SouthernPaddler.com

South Florida Archery season in full swing!

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Archery season started down here this past saturday. July 31st!

HOT!!!!!!!!

But I've been making the best of it. Sweating like a pig but at the same time, getting the freezer filled.
Both with a stick and string.
0_0_38458b213474b3f74d0f98dc0c089176_1

12 yard shot. Double lung and top half of the heart. Deer hopped 3 times at the shot and stopped and looked back. Then fell over dead.

0_0_968a52f361222a02380de4fc315b8fd7_1

9 yard shot. Little far back but got the liver and the diaphram and one lung. Ran about 40 yards and I heard her crash.

The dog is Domino. He is a border collie cross from rescue in Vero Beach Fl. I've been trying him on these blood trails to see what he will do and so far. Its promising!

I lost a pig in some really thick stuff a month ago and went back and found it in the daylight. 3 feet from were I'd been crawling around the night before. So I figured I'd see what Domino could do. Hopefully,I'll never loose another critter if he keeps getting better.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Nice going especially in this heat. I can't believe they started the season so early but they do things I never have figured out.
Are they still going to have the traditional archery season in Sept and Oct or did they do away with it for this early hunt.

Chuck.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Thanks guys. Its been a fun couple of weeks even with it being as hot as it is.

Chuck. The state folks changed the season dates depending on location to better coincide with the rut. And its working. The bucks are running around chasing does like crazy right now.

Just the South region( South of SR 70) has started and runs to the end of August. Then it goes to crossbow,muzzleloader and general gun up till January 1st. Theres a month long break in there starting the end of Oct till Thanksgiving.

The rest of the state is closer to the September archery season dates and runs, I think clear thru till the end of January

dawallace45

Swamprat , what sort of deer is that , I remember talking to a mate in Texas and he was saying that the deer he hunts is a very small bodied deer or at least around his area , reckoned a big one was about the size of a German Shepherd dog

David

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Thanks guys,
David, These are just the regular white tailed deer. Florida isn't known for its big deer. An average mature buck will weigh 110-120 pounds. I didn't weigh either of these deer but I'd guess them at 80 or 90 pounds. The first was a yearling, Last years fawn. and the second was a mature doe. Maybe 3 or 4 years old.