SPRING HAS SPRUNG | SouthernPaddler.com

SPRING HAS SPRUNG

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The birds (particularly robins and redwinged blackbirds) are final arbiters of when spring is really here to stay, in these parts. The lower peninsula of Michigan is greening up, warming up (with freezing temperatures at night), and having those bright, sunny days that confirms the seasons have changed. Yet, it is "April showers that bring spring flowers". So, we'll have some soggy days, for sure.

Julie is recovering from some minor surgery, and I have an upper G.I. tomorrow. So, we have a brief pause here in our springiness. Then - watch out!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We ( Florida ) skipped Spring and Sprung or could it be Sprang , right into Summer. Who knows and who cares all that counts is we Have Arrived !
It's not really that bad after a couple weeks of Winter. Lets us thaw out from those few 50 degree days. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Maybe you're a 2 1/2 season area?

A lot of people like spring the best - Nature reawakening, and all. And, it is pretty, no doubt. But Fall, now THERE'S a season of ripness and beauty! Aye god, now fall is a season to take joy in.

But, for now, I'll enjoy spring. New leaves, new birdies. A promise of vine ripened tomatoes. Canoing, biking, bats chasing bugs, a chilled beer, and a warm smile from loved ones. For now, spring will do. It'll do.

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
What's spring? Looking out the windows at snow covered ground. Have gold finches, red wrens and red-winged blackbirds but no robins, yet. Temps have been mid 30's high and mid to high 20's at night. I really don't like this time of year: not enough snow to ski and just a little too chilly to paddle.

Canoes are still in the basement at the farm ('cept the Grumman).

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The Robins were down here and I have not seen a single one in several weeks so they must be moving back north.
All the trees have their leaves and finally the pollen count has decrease. Use to be I would wash the car and the next morning it would be yellow with pollen , Now I can wash it and it stays silver for several weeks. More dust then anything else , we need rain and lots of it.
The good old USA is a land of diversity as far as the seasons and weather.

Just a short distance along the east coast............
I've been watching ( YouTube ) some of the guys near the half way point on the Appalachian Trail and they have been walking threw snow and even having to go into town for a motel room because of deep snow on the trail.
The folks in Georgia starting out have rain.
Here in Florida it's basically Summer time weather.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
One of the things I thought of doing with the Duck, but never did, was to fly along the "season line". I've heard, but can't confirm, that chsnge of season (say, from winter to spring, or summer to fall) advances an average of about 50 miles per day. Now, that sounds like a suspiciously round, even number, but for lack of better info, I'll use it.

So, I thought of flying south (or north), find the border of the advance, then fly along it for, say, one or two hundred miles to a handy field. Camp there a couple of days, and explore the locale. Next, fly approximately 100 miles to the new line, fly along it, csmp, etc.

sigh . . . . Never did it.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Jack,
I live near Council Grove Ks. The Santa Fe Trail is about the only big deal around here. The trail is sometimes and in some places visible from the air. I got the bright idea to fly the whole trail over a couple week ends. After some fun week ends I discovered that some one had already been there and done that! Better yet he wrote a book titled a guide to flying the Santa Fe trail.
Aviation has been a great experience,

Andy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
It sure is, Andy. I've never been sorry that I became involved in aviation. I have met some remarkable people. Actually, I met a new me, too. Learning to fly got me out of several comfort-zones, and into some growth-zones. A new me emerged. No better looking, but bigger inside.

There's a similar, but quite different, book about the Oregon Trail. Written by Rinker Buck. He also wrote Flight of Passage. In this book, they drive a covered wagon powered by mules.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
"April showers, bring May flowers" in these parts. But yesterday, the shower was freezing rain. A few limbs and power lines down 10-20 miles SSW'ly of us. Snow & rain today, but shouldn't freeze on. Shouldn't.

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
Ended up with 6"+ of snow from yesterday and it has flurried off and on most of today. Where was the snow in February when we were looking at grass? To paraphrase Will Shakespeare - Spring, oh Spring, wherefore art thou, Spring?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Clear skies and a good breeze today with a high of 80. Started the morning with cool temps , 48 here at the house. All of the rest of the week it's high 70's or low 80's. At lease that is what the weather heads are saying about the coming weather , might rain Saturday.
Around here Spring has sprung and it's a bummer since we are looking directly at Summer.