Spud sugestions | SouthernPaddler.com

Spud sugestions

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I've been meaning to ask you Pirogue handlers about what you use for a spud. Maybe a 1 1/2 wood dowel sharpened on one end about 48 inches long?

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Oz,
I think spuds would be for specilized applications. A trolly anchor system might be better suited. One of our Cajun friends who live in spud country could probally give a better answer.
Bob

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
make a paddle that's all shaft and no blade

we install a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe thru the breasthook and the bottom and slide the bladeless paddle thru it into the muck

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Mostly gravel some rock thats a good idea Tick with the paddle. I knew you guys used pvc pipe for the spud hole but didn't know what you used as a spud. I'm glad to hear it's not something heavy like a fence post.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
It's just a way to I guess anchor your pirogue.

a81666e7.jpg

This is showing the hole in which the spud is placed to be pushed into the muck

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I went in the woods and cut down a couple young straight hicory trees. I made mine about 5 foot long. I can anchor in as much as 18 inches of water and mud and still get in and out of the boat to retreave ducks or rearange decys and two can stand and shoot out of it. I use the poles also to wrap a rope around that forms the "clothes line" to hang my blind from.

Ozark, I am sure you would have access to a couple hicory sticks.

I need to update some photos....it has been a while since I was active on this site and on building boats....but I cleaned up the garage this weekend and I am getting the itch to make some saw dust.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Mo as a kid I was always a bit gun shy of cutting young hickories for the fear that they would land in Moms hand for disciplinary actions. Good idea and readily handy here.
Paul

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Bring moma one of these and she'll knock your lights out.

Actually I just went and checked mine and they are about 1.5 to 1.75 diamiter on the fat ends and about 5.6 foot long. These dimentions seemed to work for me. I was in a duck weed covered marsh and couldn't really pole or paddle through it. Used the spud pole as a paddle and it got me through the muck about as well as any muckraker could.