Started the Sasquatch 14 x 30 build. | Page 7 | SouthernPaddler.com

Started the Sasquatch 14 x 30 build.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Awe come on buddy , just to show you what a friend I am I will take one of mycheap wood boats and check out all the rocks with it like I did for Jack then you want have to scratch it up.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Awe come on buddy , just to show you what a friend I am I will take one of mycheap wood boats and check out all the rocks with it like I did for Jack then you want have to scratch it up.
Ron

That is such a kind offer but I don't paddle a boat like Jack does , I don't play bumber boats with rocks going down a river. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really one of these days , I sure do want to go on a river with you , I think it would be a great experience besides a ton of fun. We would not be able to camp where there are any turkeys , I have this fondness for them , When ROASTED. Especially with some dressing , gravy and taters on the side.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Progress Report. ********
The wood together to form the canoe weighed in at 17 pounds.

14x30%20019.jpg

Right now with the seat in it and the inside 99% done .... She weighs 21 pounds , according to my bathroom scale. (I have the two thwarts to install later today , they might weigh a pound [ if that much ] together ) .

So I have all together ......4 pounds of epoxy , wood flour , fiberglass and the seat ( trimmed to fit ). The seat weighed 2 pounds , 3 oz before I trimmed it to fit , not sure of the weight when I put it in the canoe.

This build has been slow for a couple of reasons , the heat down here which limits the working time on the canoe and me taking a lot of time to cool down in the house and think of the next steps , quite a few ahead , on how to keep the weight down and still make sure the boat maintains its strength.

Next step will be to flip her over ( start on the outside) , epoxy fillet the ends , the seams and then glass her with the 3.25 tight woven glass and finally the epoxy and graphite. Last step .... Varnish with a lot of sanding in between.

******** Remember ... I'm using the wood and kit I got from Matt (3 mm) and very thin/light weight.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The bottom of the cross member for the seat is 7 1/2 inches from the deck , making the top of the seat 8 1/4 inches above the deck , nice and low. :D

With a Sit Backer and it's 2 inch foam seat , attached to the seat it will put me about 8 1/2 inches from the deck depending on how much of the seat I compress when sitting on it. :lol:

With the canoe at 18" ( bow ) /13"( center ) /18"( stern) that 8 1/4 inches at the top of the seat should keep the center of gravity nice and low for paddling but at a comfortable sitting height.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A third hand helps when attaching an item to a boat , in this case the thwarts to the canoe. I really don't think I could make a boat without the tape since I hate to use screws or any thing like them in my boats.

I tape the item into position after marking it. The single piece of tape is the mark where the item will be. Then I tape it and when the epoxy and wood flour is mixed I release one side of the tape , put the mix where the item will be then pull it back up and tape it there till the epoxy cures.

The thwarts are from those three pieces of pine lattice stripping I epoxied together , then cut to fit and sanded to the shape I wanted.

14x30%20030.jpg

14x30%20031.jpg

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister John Deere Sparkanator,

What a wonderful job! I now love yer homemade boats fer anuther reason. I jest bought a plastic one. It melted. 102 heat index at 7 p.m. It still weighs 34 pounds, but it iz in a puddle. When it cools down I mite make a ash tray 'er mebbe a bird bath outta it? 8)

regards
bearridge

ps If ya ever finish, take it down ta the bottle gas folks 'n weigh it there. That iz where me 'n Lance weighed the big yellow cat I caught.....well, I tied off the net when we set it 'n I wuz passin' out beer when Greg finally threw the drag that found it.

Woodrow Call: How do I know you won't start missin' your wife after about five miles and decide to quit?
Po Campo: My wife is in hell; where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Chuck
Do you have any kind of guess what she will weigh when you finish her.
Ron

I'm guessing , by using 4 pounds on the inside , the glass on the outside is heavier (thicker weave) and will take more epoxy ( a saturation coat for the wood , 4 coats for the glass ) . Then the graphite mix (three coats)..... Playing it safe I will guess some place between ...Holding my breath , fingers crossed ..... 27 to 30 pounds , as long as it is 30 or less , I will be happy.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The inside is done (except for some minor cosmetic things) so she will be turned over and I get to start on the outside.

Epoxy saturate the hull , fillet the seams , add epoxy fillets to the ends of the canoe , glass , graphite and then sand and varnish the inside and outside.

The final step..... trying her out on the water. I sure hope she floats.

14x30%20032.jpg

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Folks ask about staining there boats before they epoxy and glass them ... I ask this simple question .... WHY.

Especially when you can go from this picture ...........

14x30%20017.jpg

To this with one coat of epoxy saturation.

14x30%20033.jpg

Same boat , only it has had one coat of epoxy saturation letting Mother Nature do her thing on the looks for the boat , later after some sanding and with the glass it will be a shade darker and glossy looking. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You work and work to get the canoe together then you get it looking good and what do you do next ??????

Break out the sander and go to it. I still have more to do but so far it looks like it has been in a sandstorm. :lol:

14x30%20034.jpg

Even more fun when it is all done and then you do this again before vanishing it. :roll:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Steps to build a wooden boat:

Start with a few large pieces of wood
Cut them into lots of little pieces
Put the pieces back together again
Add epoxy
Sand off epoxy
Add more epoxy
Sand off more epoxy