Clicky

Stitch and Glue No Plans

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Your tumblehome panel was puzzling to me. I could not compute why/how the panel appeared to be the same width from one end to the other. Then I realized the ends came together on sort of a reverse stem angle, not ending in a point. Looks different to my eyes but should be easier to build. Did you do it this way because you are building stitch and glue?
Not disagreeing but for my knowledge, why the V bottom?

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
BeeKeeper, I have built S&G with both types of tumble home ends. When I Shortened the sides of the JEM Crawdad I was trying to reduce the wind signature, so I terminated the sides in a reverse angle. It may be the reverse angle is easier. On this boat I feel I should have made the tumble home end angle more vertical, because I’d rather have the tumble home panels more vertical. They would be stronger and easier to brace. I realized my mistake too late.
The V bottom is because the boat I was copying (kinda) has a V bottom. I have used that boat for many years and like the overall characteristics, especially the stability. Most of the “factory” Pirogues in the North Louisiana area had the V Bottom. Water Moccasin, tidecraft, Gator, southern, etc. My guess is it had to do with molds and adding strength with angles working with fiberglass. When Matt designed the Crawdad, I remember him saying that’s as stable as I can make it unless we used a v bottom. So bottom line is, I don’t have a preference, just trying it out.

This build has unlocked the mystery of how much rainbow in sides,flair,rocker, end angles, form placement, and probably other stuff I don’t know. I had never ventured far from plans, but will no doubt do it again. there are grandkids and greatgrands, that (hopefully) that need to know this stuff! I’m going to credit you and Joey,the light came on!

Good Fish’n,
Andy

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Is that an optical illusion - or is that vee inverted into a shallow tunnel? I’m like JD Beekeeper in questioning here.
Yep, it's a V, not a tunnel as it flattens near both ends. the factory boats like this have a small keel in the middle of the v. I suspepct the keel is to strengthen the fiberglass. I may or may not add it.I deletted my last post. it was duplicated 3 times and I wasn't smart enough to rdit it so I just deleted it. May play with it later.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Thank you, Andy.

They are; it is up to each of us to “not let the old man in. To keep him at bay. So we each stay our active vigil. Active with Grandkids; active with a sander or other tool in our hands; active at moving in exploration and laughter. We keep active, because moving targets are hard to hit. And, the old man moves on to take the slothful. Paddlers are just too difficult for him to catch. And so are hikers and bikers.