Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck | Page 18 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck

NWDad

Oct 4, 2015
I have done rock climbing and repelling. I would suggest 3/8 line, what is called a figure 8 and 1-1/2 webbing to wrap around and make a harness out of. All can be stored compactly and is easy to use. I have used this set up myself for repelling.

Kevin

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Fix It

With the Duck in for its annual inspection things start to surface. Small, nit-noy stuff that is a non-grounding condition throughout the year, gets a chance to be repaired here. I'd already mentioned the muffler that is being repaired.

The nose gear has been a pesky pest every once in a while. If it were an excellent example of an oleo strut, it would still be too heavy and complicated for its job. It isn't a good example. Darned thing leaks, and shimmies. We're repacking the strut by installing all new "O" rings. This nose strut, in my opinion, is the one poor decision that Cessna made when designing the 172 Skyhawk. A simple, light weight leaf spring fitted with a trailing caster nose wheel would be cheaper, lighter, more robust, and more serviceable when flying off of turf.

The windshield is plastic, about 1/16" thick. Clarity was still "OK", but not as good as it could be. Over the years it has crazed, micro cracks in the outside surface. An accumulation of these affects visibility and strength. At some point you just say, "OK, that's enough. Let's replace it." I'll have an even more scenic view now.

Hopefully, next week sometime, she'll rise into the air again.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Almost There

Jim has completed the annual inspection, repaired some discrepancies, and done an upgrade. The Duck is ready to fly. I'd hoped to fly her back home this morning. Weather was almost good. CAVU (Ceiling And Visibility Unlimited). But, when I checked winds, it became a weather abort.

Winds were 80-90 degrees across runways at both Howell KOZW and home at Mason Jewett KTEW. That's not a big problem, but the gusts of 16-21MpH were. But, the real variable was winds aloft. Mild surface winds from the SSW, clashed with westerlies of 45MPH at both 3,000' and 6,000'. This produces a wind shear in between the ground and cruising altitude, and turbulent conditions at cruising. An advisory about low level turbulence confirmed that. DAMN!

Turbulence that is labeled as "mild" boinces around the Duck pretty good. "Moderate" turbulence bounces her a lot more than I want to have. Can I fly it? I have, yes. But it adds an unnecessary risk that I don't really need. We'll try againin the morning. I want to keep on cheating Death.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Jack,
When I was running crew boats and towboats and would have to cross the Houston ship channel with a ship in the vicinity I had a saying that served me well. When In Doubt, Wait It Out. Be like Thomas the Train and say I Think I Can, I Think I Can you are liable to wind up in a pile of trouble.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks, Bob. Without a compelling reason, it didn't make sense to push it. Maybe with a bigger plane that wouldn't get battered around as badly, a mission worthy of risk or sacrifice, and a pilot with mote experience flying in that environment - it could be different.

I really do want to get into the air in the Duck again. There are wheat fields to be inspected, pastures to be patroled, and scenic areas to be scenicked (past tense of " to be scene"), lunches to be enjoyed, and coffee to be slurped.

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of . . . .

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
oldbuffpilot said:
Jack,
'There are old pilots and bold pilots , but very few old bold pilots"

Andy

I think Andy just called Jack old. :wink:
Jack's not old. He just used up all his risk taking days back when he was a guide for Lewis and Clark. :roll:

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Grampa BeeKeeper is right. And, that expedition was very formative in my life. It was none other than Cap'n Meriwether who taught me to always tell the truth. And, for the last 211 years I have.

Andy highlighted one of the truths of aviation. Others are:
"The pointy end goes forward."
"Altitude above you, and runway behind you are useless."
"Push the stick forward, and houses get bigger. Pull it back, and houses get smaller."
"The only time you have too much fuel is if you're on fire."

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
AHHHhh - We Are Whole Again

Finally- a day with 1. Good weather, 2. no doctor appointment, and 3. Jim was done with training classes and back at the hangar. Julie and I drove over and sprung the Duck from captivity. I heard her sigh of grateful relief.

The new - crystal clear - windshield is wonderful. At first, it was so clear that I didn't realize it. Then, later, Julie and I went for a ride. She noticed the difference right off. And the repaired muffler allows easier, more accurate leaning of the fuel mixture at cruise.

I also had a new metal plate installed on the floor in front of the rudder pedals For the right seat. For some inexplicable (read STUPID) reason. The floor mats had a rubber pad right in front of the pedals on both sides of the cockpit. (The Duck has dual controls, a full set on both sides of the cockpit). Flying, we are constantly sliding our feet back and forth, moving the rudder pedals. The rudder controls the craft around the vertical axis. Pilots use the rudder to compensate for yaw. (Yaw is when the craft turns either left or right, turning on its vertical axis). Banking left or right with the ailerons, we simultaneously add rudder. That gives a coordinated turn, so it doesn't skid around the corner. Adding power requires some right rudder. Removing power requires some left rudder. The habit soon develops.

The original floor mats, with a ribbed rubber mat, made sliding your feet to use the rudder pedals quite difficult. A nice, smooth metal sheet lets your heels slide back and forth easily. Now, flying cruise from the right seat, a pilot can easily use the rudder. Simple, but important.

We will now be doing some flights over scenic areas. After roaming other parts of America and the world for over 25 years, it is truly pleasureable to now fly the Midwest, and Great Lakes area. Truly pleasureable.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Country Roads, Family, and Friends

The Ruptured Duck is Operationally Ready (OR) again, as of yesterday. Good weather (WX) today let Julie and me roam a bit. Wasn't a long sortie, but it sure was welcome!

About 10 miles S'ly of Mason Jewett Field KTEW, is the little jerkwater town of Leslie. About its only claim to fame is that no world wars have ever started there. Running straight W'ly out of there, is Bellevue Road. It runs 26 miles, and actually ends in the town of Olivet, about 8 miles shy of Bellevue. The route to Bellevue actually doglegs in Olivet, and exits under the name of Butterfield Road. Odd, ehh? Anyway, the route then goes W'ly another 8 miles before it actually reaches Bellevue. Problem here is, that Bellevue is even more backwater and inbred than is Leslie.

Regardless, the country in between these two towns is picturesque. Lakes, ponds, deer trails, smaller towns, farm fields galore, streams, snow mobile trails, golden sunshine, et al. Admittedly, Julie and I are commited admirers of countryside. We never tire of overflying territory, quietly "Ooooing and Ahhhhing" as we drift along

Today, as we flew W'ly from Leslie, winds aloft were stronger than forecasted. A 25mph head wind component dropped our ground speed to about 85mph. No sweat. That gives us more time to gaze. Finally, as Olivet hove into sight, we were ready for it. By that time, it was time to abandon sight seeing, and turn S'ly. We were meeting Julie's sister in law Debbie, and her husband Ivan for lunch. A late takeoff and enexpected headwinds precluded loiter time, circling over our target. Next time.

We arrived at Marshall KRMY about 10 minutes ahead of Deb and Ivan. Gave us time to park and secure the Duck. It was below freezing, so I plugged the inlets for engine cooling air. This slowed down engine cooling quite a bit. A cold engine can start hard, and cold oil doesn't circulate well. So, metal parts can scrape back and forth a minute or so untill oil reaches them. Not good. It worked nicely.

Lunch (Ivan ans Deb had breakfast!) at the Broadway Grille is always good. The last time we ate there, an earthquake hit about 40 miles W'ly of us. Some kind of underground geology insullated us from ever feeling it. A buddy of mine said he felt the tremors as he flew over the area that day. We told him he probably didn't have his carburetor adjusted correctly. Well, actually, that was really about the third or fourth thing we told him. ;-)

After lunch, Ivan gave us a ride back to the field. Fuel was priced low, so I refueled prior to heading home. Those head winds were tailwinds on the way home. A pleasant return trip home ("Hey! There's Duck Lake again. And, just N'ly of it is Narrow Lake!). Another squeak-squeak landing, and we'd cheated death again.

Time for a cuppa coffee at Bestsellers. Celebrate Life.

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Thanks Jack, I always enjoy your write ups. They are entertaining and educational at the same time, and capture my imagination of the countryside you and Julie fly over. As a former Flight Instructor, I admirable your ability to describe the how's and why's of flying in terms that non pilots can easily understand, and therefore, become more active participants in the story telling.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks, TT, i appreciate your input. Please continue to join in with additions and corrections, comments about where I run astray or over stretch myself, and stories of your own.

We may just well stir up interest enough to generate another pilot or two. I didn't start lessons until I was 70. Through a combination of selecting a couple of not-the-best instructors, and my own ham fisted pilot technique, it was a mere THREE YEARS later before I got my license. Now, the Ruptured Duck is a magic carpet for us. This summer we plan more scenic trips - camping, visiting friends, touring towns (folding bikes come along in the plane, and transport us into and around towns), EAA pancake breakfasts, etc. In September, we're going to the AOPA fly in at Battle Creek KBTL and camp the weekend.

There are three, major sectors of aviation in America: military, commercial, and general. Military is pretty much self-explanatory. Commercial involves paying money for freight or passenger. And general aviation (GA) is everything else.

Maybe, OldBUFFpilot, Andy can chime in with tales of B-52 flights, sitting alert, etc.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
1/4 Of A Ball Off

Rigging of flight controls on an aircraft is analogous to alignment of steering geometry on a car. If an airplane is out of rig, it will fly a little bit sideways. That creates drag, and slows it down. Obviously, that's undesireable. It's like having too much or too little toe in on your car's front wheels. Then, they skid a bit sideways as you drive along. That is drag, wears the tires out esrly, eats gas, and isn't predictable when driven hands off.

One of the things done to the Ruptured Duck when in its annual inspection was to have the flaps rerigged back to factory specs. The first time I flew and reached cruise, I noticed two things. First was that this 53 year old 172 was 3-5mlh faster at cruise setting than before. Next was that the ball was off center to the left, by 1/4 of its diameter. A bit of light toe pressure held on the left rudder pedal cured that - BUT, it had to be held. Jim will correct that with some rudder cable adjustment; I'll flight test it, and he'll tweak again if necessary.

I'm surprised by the speed increase, because a friend's 172 is only 15-16 digits different in serial number from the Duck, and even with three speed modificstions on his bird, the Duck is faster. I'm not at all interested in the speed, but it does translate into less fuel consumption. Not a big chunk, but it IS a nudge in the right direction.

On a good weather day, I'll fly back to Livingston County KOZW, and get the rudder tweaked. Was hoping to do it tomorrow, but gusts to 20mph and snow squalls are a NO GO. Flying into a snow squall can be deceptively easy. A VFR (Visual Flight Rules only) pilot inside such a whiteout has a life expectancy of about 1 minute and 28 seconds, plus or minus an uncomfortably small increment.

I'm kinda fond of cheating death, not inviting it. "If you absolutely, positively, commitedly have to get there - drive."