Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck | Page 20 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Kev

Over 30 years ago, while camped out with some Boy Scouts, a tall fellow (5 foot 17 inches) came strolling into camp. "Hi, I'm Kevin King."

Over the years, we worked together with Boy Scouts, camping, hiking, canoeing, and - when not with the boys - sipping a beer from time to time. Last week, Kev retired. Now he is discovering simple pleasures like afternoon movies, pilots' breakfasts, flying in the morning, etc. Today, we flew over a favorite canoe route - to Hell and Back. It is pretty much the same route over which I flew Brittney.

Today, on the retiurn leg home, Air Traffic Control (ATC) announced opposing traffic, 3 miles ahead, and at our altitude. He immediately vectored me to turn S'ly and descend. We did. Over the next minute or two, ATC advised of the other aircraft's relative position and range. Both of us scanned that sector, but never spotted the aircraft. Unfortunately, that's the usual case. We can fly slong fat, dumb, and happy, never seeing another aircraft. So, we can lull ourselves into believing that there are no other aircraft there.

In the traffic patern we kept airspeed at 80, then 75, and finally 60. We could both walk away from the plane, so counted it as a good landing. "Cheated death again."

Later, over lunch in the Bestsellers Coffeeshop, we enjoyed a review of the flight. Kev has ridden along with Civil Air Patrol (CAP) flights on Search And Rescue sorties (SAR). So, general aviation aircraft aren't new to him. In fact, he's come to appreciate flying closer to land and water features than, say, 30,000 to 45,000 feet. We stayed at least 1,000' above ground level (AGL).

Kev may get his own plane. "snickering here, purely snickering"

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Harmful Algae Blooms (HABs)

Mother Nature is an always amazing, ever fascinating force. To some, she is a most meaningful pathway to observe our Creation, and our Creator. This is only an introduction to a longer story, one about some quirks of Nature.

A couple of years ago, cities that draw water for their city water works, from the western end of Lake Erie, were experiencing difficulties. Pipes and filters were getting fouled and plugged. Green, slimy algae was ingested into the system. As the situation was studied, and politicians became involved, and evening newscasters portrayed the stories - it became more and more obvious that truth and fact had become early casualties.

Last year, some serious pilots were flying special sorties, photographing outbreaks of algae blooms - harmful algae blooms. Lake Erie is too far away for me to fly to, take pictures, and return home again. Other pilots, ones who live nearby, can photo those areas. I volunteered to photo inland waters nearby here. Today, I test flew a route that I had proposed.

Inland lakes that are shallow, so they warm faster and more thoroughly; lakes with agricultural drainage that collect fertilizer in the run off; lakes often closed to swimming - these present target lakes. Looking at the maps, I selected several such lakes. They lie loosely in a row, I thought. So I laid out a route to cover them. Today, I tested that route.

Most of the shorelines are in an "agricultural" exposure. The remainder is residential. There was no camera (GoPro) mounted onto the Duck yet. Today was just a practice run to confirm- or redesign - a proposed route. And ice was on these lakes just last week. But I couldn't help but notice something. Waters along the agriculturally exposed shores had no greenish blooms. But, alongside much of the inhabited shoreline were green patches extending out from the shore. Hmm.

All of this should get more organized and more productive as we go along. For now, it is just interesting.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
But, alongside much of the inhabited shoreline were green patches extending out from the shore. Hmm.

Could it be run off from freshly fertilized yards or drainage from septic tanks ??????.......... take your pick.

Lake Apopka ( Down Here ) was a famous Bass Fishing lake in the old times and then the shores became residential with the rest used for commercial farming. The run off water ( rain and irrigation ) from the farms took the excess fertilizer into the lake while the septic tanks from the residential areas fed ( leached ) phosphates into the lake.
All that good plant food ( nutrition ) in the water the alga grew like a weed and before anyone knew what was happening the Bass fishing went from excellent to not worth the time. to make a long story short , The Lake Died.

If you are getting alga blooms in your lakes catch and correct it before it kills a lake. Providing it is not a natural aquatic weed growth in the lake that makes the shore line ( shallow water ) look green from the air.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Perhaps some fertilizer effects are remaining from last year. It is too early for any fertilizer this year. I'm thinking that sewage is a culprit here.

As summer progresses, and we gather more information, some answers may emerge.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
HIGH VACUUM

Some of the Duck's flight instruments have gyros in them. The gyros are run by little air turbines. But, instead of building pressure to run them, there is vacuum. It sucks in ambient air from within the cockpit to run the turbines. All that keeps up the health of the attitude indicator (artificial horizon), heading indicator (sort of an artificial magnetic compass), and the rate of turn part of the turn and slip indicator (an artificial seat of the pants).

On engine start, part of the preflight inspection is to check the vacuum reading: 4.5-6.0. OK. In flight, it went high, once around the gauge! Not a good sign. Probably the vacuum controller. And, I don't know yet whether the controller is an integral part of the vacuum pump, or separate. Whichever way it is, it will be the most expensive way.

In good weather - VFR conditions - I can fly without these if I have to, but like it better when everything works alright. So, the next flight will be straight to the repair shop while things still work. Sometimes, the bull wins.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
NEEDLE AND BALL

Well we got the rudder trim pretty much in line again. It had been about 1/4 of a ball out of trim to the left. Jim adjusted it, and I test flew it. Oops- now 1/4 ball out to the right. Return, back out 1/2 of the adjustment. It flew pretty straight on the way home.

But, ohh, the vacuum regulator doesn't seem to be responding to adjustmebts. DANG!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
JUST ONE, MOVING PART

One of the things that I like about canoes and kayaks, is that mine have no moving parts. One of my axioms, developed over years of experience, is that "Moving parts don't, and leakproof tanks do."

I'd written earlier about the vacuum regulator not working right. Basically, its a flange with a 1/2" diameter inlet and a similar oulet, a simple coil spring, and a metal diaphragm that serves as a relief valve. About the only piece of equipment that would be any simpler is a hammer. But, somehow, that diapragm found a way to stick. Our trouble shooting, adjustments, engine runups, and a test flight just wouldn't shake it loose. Fifty three years of steady service - and it quit. Kinda out of any warranty, either implied or expressed.

Now we're operationally ready (OR) again. Spring is popping out all over the place. We're planning to fly some lakes and rivers, view the Lake Michigan shore line, enjoy some $100 hamburgers, visit fields with bike trails nearby, and see new vistas. In the meantime, just keep on living Life the very best that you can.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
EMMA OVER BELLEVUE

Jullie's granddaughter, Emma, is visiting for a few dsys. Grandma is enjoying this a lot. And, yesterday I put her to work making and baking banana oatmeal chocolate chip peanut butter chip chopped nut cookies. A large batch times 4 times worth. Then, I had to show her how to test them! sigh

Emma lives in Battle Creek, nicknamed the cereal City because W.K.Kellogg and Post and General Foods were all headquartered here. 12-15 miles N'ly is a little burg named Bellevue. That was our target for today. So this morning, reville was at 07:30. And, by 08:35 we were on the road. Getting two females motivated enough to get coffeed, coifed, made up, fed, and in the car in that time frame rivals digging the Grand Canyon with a pick and shovel!

Take off was about 10:00. Winter wheat is the real attention getter out there now. Planted last fall, growing under the snow all winter, it now splashes the countryside with a bright, vibrant green in scattered fields. It is so bright that it looks like each blade has a little light bulb glowing inside. Other fields, from dun to amber, still bear remnants from last year's harvest. Those fields already fitted for spring planting show from dark brown to a rich black. All over, farmsteads stand out brightly across our countryside. Square rigged, white farmhouses; splashy red barns; Michigan's longest river - the Grand River; meandering streams; rights of way for railroads, power lines, and pipe lines head diagonally to target destinations; and roads show straight north-south and east-west along down there a quarter mile below us.

Roads in Michigan follow the state survey done in 1836. And they go straight by god north-south east-west. Fence rows and furrows evho that orientation. You can calibrate your compass on those furrows and rows! Only those rights of way for railroad, electricity, and gas usually go crossways towards specific targets. Michigan's longest river - the Grand River, meandering streams, and myriads of ponds are sliding along about 100mph groundspeed down there a quarter mile below us.

About 6-7 miles before Bellevue is a bit larger town of Olivet. Though larger than nearby Bellevue, Olivet still hasn't gotten its own McDonald's. Perched on the edge of retarded growth, it languishes in the realm of "almost big enough". We approached Olivet, lined up, and headed due west. As we circled , Emma worked the camera. Actually, just once around town did it. Ho hum. The wheat fields are more interesting to me.

Back at Mason Jewett the winds were calm. So, I took advantage of that and veered directly into the downwind leg of the traffic pattern, saving a few miles of flying around in double reverses. The landing was "OK", and we cheated death again. On to Bestsellers Coffeeshop.

Here, we struck gold. Ken and Sue Scheffer were there. Ken is one of the WWII veterans that I know, and a Masonic Brother of mine. He is a gentle soul; loveable as a teddybear. Sue is a bright and sparkly light bulb. Also, Jay Mitzner was there too. A retired arrorney, Jay now does his dream of playing big band, Dixieland, and New Orleans music. His band plays on all the river boats around here, plus parties and gatherings of all kinds. Over two hours later, we wandered a block down the street to Kean's Department Store. All in all, it's a great day to be alive.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
You're welcome Bob. There's a lot more involved in aviation than just the flying part. All of the activity getting ready to fly, recovering the bird and putting it to bed, people with whom you become involved, terrain over which you fly, etc.

F'rinstance, after lunch we stopped in to visit two friends who are building a 23 year old, brand new airplane in a garage. Many years ago, Bill was offered a special project outside his normal job. It took a few months, was a heck of a challenge, and paid a handsome bonus. After consideration, Bill took it on and did a bang up job. The bonus package bought the kit to build the plane.

Job responsibilities and life got in the way, boxes containing airplane parts gathered dust. After retirement, looking over the kit, it became obvious thst he'd bitten off more than he wanted to chew. For a 50% share, he asked Doug if they could partner, and build it together in Doug's garage? A handshake sealed the deal. A fiberglass fuselage wraps around a steel tube roll cage, folding wings, electronic ignition, computer controlled fuel injection, multi-mounts for tail wheel, nose wheel, or pontoon configurations are all festures of this plane.

I stopped in on just the chance that they would be there working on the plane. They were, and waved us in with big smiles. Julie had already seen the bird a few months ago, while thw wings were being assembled. Emma, of course, had no idea that you can build a plane in a garage! What a wild idea.

Emma has now been exposed to some of the fascinating people that her grandmother has as friends. Grandma, she's discovering, is a helluva lot more interesting than the average bear, Boo Boo.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
It's a Hoot making memories for Grandkids. My oldest Grandson Daniel told me one time that I had exposed him to things and ideas that most guys his age would never have a clue about. One time when he was about 13 or 14 he was staying with us for a few days and I took him to the reloading room and showed him how to deprime .38 cases. After about 15 min. I told him that if he was tired of it he could stop. He said that if it was something he did not normally do he did not mind doing it. Then he said ya know Poppy, that is the reason I like coming to see you so much. We hardly ever do anything normal. Now he is 25 years old and he is a Constitution Thumping Conservative. Now and again things work out Right.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Good on ya, Poppy! Aye god, help kids spread their horizons, grow, learn, think, imagine! My granddaughter went an canoe trips a week long with us geezers on the Au Sable. She was preschool, then in kindergarten on the second one. She learned a LOT on those trips.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A NEW NEST FOR THE DUCK

For a complex machine like an airplane to live a long and healthy life, it needs care. And, even a relatively simple one like the Ruptured Duck needs good care. Across the way from where the Duck is presently hangaring, a few planes are in an open bay hangar. Sadly, they have become derelicts. It's kinda like watching, as a friend weakens and sickens.

Now, where the Duck has been kept for nearly seven years is a good home. But, doing business with the present owner has become an onerous chore. Fortunately, a friend also has hangars for rent, and is much easier to get along with. Luckily, it will be about $40/month less money. And, he does business in an open, honest manner. This will be a breath of fresh air for me.

I'll start moving things, and want to finish up in the next couple of weeks. Then, pf course, I have to remember to taxi back in to the CORRECT hangar. sigh

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks, Bob. The owner of the present hangar is still being as difficult about the exit as he has been with the stay. Talking with friends this afternoon, one says that as long as the owner is operating at prices within the local market, I should probably remain. When I told the other friend the name of the owner, he rolled his eyes and groaned.

Bottom line is, I associate by choice, and I don't choose to associate with folks who accumulate "difficult to get along withness" (read "acting like a sphincter"). I prefer to do business with folks I can trust. It's just a policy of mine to not intentionally tromp around in a minefield while wearing snowshoes.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
BEN AND JOE

Aviation, as I've said before, includes a lot more than airplanes and flying airplanes. While those are core ingredients, there is much more. Thursday, a couple of those other ingredients were two, rambunctious little boys.

Julie had called to see if her sister and brother in law could join us for lunch if we flew to Marshall Field KRMY. "Well," Ivan said, "Debbie is watching our grandsons. But - I'm available!" "Great, can you pick us up at 11:45?"

That arranged, we planned to arrive a bit early so I could refuel there - prices were very favorable. As we neared the field, control advised of a Cessna 220 coming from behind me, also converging on Marshall, and overtaling me at a rate of closure of about 60 knots. That had a high potential of both of us arriving in the traffic pattern pretty close together. I told control that I'd execute a slow, lazy left hand 360 so the other bird could land ahead of me. As we were backtracking, we could see the other bird a thousand feet below us, and about a mile to the north. We continued the circle, approached, and landed.

As we shut down at the fuel pumps, a couple emerged from the 210, and walked over. As we introduced ourselves, turns out that Bruce and Linda are retired violinists from the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Very nice folks. They were going to Schuler's, the big restaurant in town, and asked if we were going there too. No, we have other plans; maybe another time.

As I finished refueling and securing the Duck, Ivan had pulled into the parking lot. And, parked right there beside him, was Debbie with two little thunderbolts in the car - Ben and Joe. She had heard of lunch plans, a ziggied right over. We loaded up and left to go find the Moonraker Restaurant.

While waiting for lunch, Ben and Joe explored the restaurant. Fortunately, most of their business is in the evening, so there wasn't a large crowd here. The boys fired questions from the hip. Ivan and I were fielding them with playful answers. The boys - 3 and 5 - kind of wanted to believe us, but our big grins gave us away.

After lunch, great aunt Julie walked them around the hangar, and explained some planes to them. "That twin engined one outside, is like the one Amelia Earhart flew". (Now, grandma Debbie has a job of introducing these two buzzbombs to one of the great ladies of aviation). "And that plane hanging up there", as she pointed high overhead to the hangar ceiling, where hung a fully operational glider, "is a glider. Notice that it has no engine or propellor." The boys ran over to look at the remnants of a derelict Cessna that looked like - maybe - the pilot had walked away from the landing.

Then, it was time to leave. I think that, forever more, aunt Julie will be held in a bit of awe and respect because, on a bright, sunny day, she could explain airplanes to a pair of energetic, young boys.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
ENGINE OUT

As other pilots on here (the good ones, not just an adequate one like me) can tell you. A pilot's license is "a license to learn". From time to time, it's wise to seek out a more experienced person and arrange for additional training. I've arranged to get some recurrent training for such things as emergency procedures, training to recover from upset or loss of control, recovery from flying into clouds (VFR into IMC). A couple of days ago, Deanna and I started. We ran three times to simulate power loss and emergency landings.

Twice, we simulated an off field landing where, cruising along fat, dumb, and happy she all of a sudden says, "Your engine just quit. What do you do?" She pulled the throttle back to full idle.
Trim full nose up for best glide speed to get maximum range.
Declare an emergency. To fully use my resources, I concentrate on flying the plane (always the top priority) and direct her to set the transponder to squawk 7700, and radio our declaration of an emergency, giving our location and status.
Select an appropriate field to land in, and maneuver to land.
At about 500' above ground level, restore power and climb out.

The third time we pulled power while in the traffic pattern, and I dead sticked it in for a credible landing. Then, she wanted a short field takeoff and landing. All right! These are something I practice regularly.

Start the takeoff roll with 10 degrees of flaps set. At 60-65mlh (varies with gross weight and density altitude) set flaps to 20 degrees. With the Short Take Off and Landing (STOL) kit on it, the Duck now climbs out at 60mph instead of 67 for best angle of climb. We were off the ground and climbing steeply. We came around the pattern and I set her down below 60mph. We had to add power to make the first exit to the taxiway.

And then, we were done for the day. And, there will be more flights of learning.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
FLYING (NEARLY) BLIND

Part of pilot training is flying "under the hood". The pilot wears a view restricting device so it is quite difficult to see outside, and a bit easier to see the instrument panel. Obviously, when doing this for training, there is a qualified safety pilot right beside you. You very definitely want to take this as deadly serious, because it is possible to get into a situation where you are in the soup all by yourself. Many who do, crash. (Insert the name of John Kennedy Jr. Here.)

OldBUFFpilot is expert at this, and has flown thousands of miles on instruments. Other pilots on here are also instrument qualified. I'm not, but train for the sbility to get the hell out of the soup in case I inadvertently do fly into it. As ragged as some of my flying is when I can actually see where I am and where I'm going, that is arrow straight compared to my wobbly path when under the hood.

I was ALWAYS behind the plane. It would wander, and then the instruments would indicate what was going on, and only then would I figure it out, and start corrective action. Think of driving blindfolded, with your mother-in-law providing input from the backseat, and you driving with that information. sigh

After about 50 minutes, a couple gallons of sweat, and a cup or two of blood - I could remove the blinders. We returned to Mason and I made a pretty good landing. Cheated death again.