Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck | Page 21 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Good idea to train with the blinders on, but better to actually practice in the soup. Maybe after you get better proficiency with blinders to make it a worthwhile practice session. My limited experience in actual IMC was substantially different than the hood.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Thanks, Tom. I know you're right. That "178 Seconds To Live", is a real attention getter. Their solution was to climb or descend, according to altitude above ground level and sorrounding terrain, slow turns with rudder only, wings level, breathe slowly - and don't pee in your pants.

So far, in training with a CFI in the right seat, I've mastered only the last step. Absolutely no guarantees if it's for real, though.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Jack,
My hat’s off to you. Doing it right and keeping safe. Tom is right, actual IFR conditions are much easier than the “hood”. It wouldn’t hurt to find the right day and right instructor and give it a try. This gives a lot of confidence to VFR pilots.
It’s good to hear the Duck has a comfortable and welcome home. It’s nice to be comfortable and spend some time petting her.

Good Fish’n

Andy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A REAL $100 HAMBURGER, 2 OF'EM, ACTUALLY

In recreational flying, like I do, there is seldom a true mission, like when the military flies. And, it's illegal for me to charge someone for a ride, that would then be commercial flying. (I can ask people to pay a pro-rata share for fuel, oil, parking, etc., but never have). In General Aviation there is the institution of a one hundred dollar hamburger. Instead of going to a local hamburg joint, you fly to one somewhere else. Yesterday, that's what we did.

Ionia is famous for its free fair every fall. The Ionia Free Fair attracts folks like flies to honey. It is also well known for the steep hills coming into and out of town. Positioned on Michigan's Grand River, it is in a fairly deep river valley. Michigan Highway M-66 runs north-south through town. It is steep (for the Midwest) both ways.

As a kid, I was helping a fellow truck a small refrigerator back from his cottage. Smokey drove a small, English panel truck made by the Thames Company. It had a small, 4 banger engine very much like what Crosleys had. It didn't have enough power to pull the hat off your head. And, hauling that refrigerator up those steep hills was more than the little fella was ever meant to do. When the light turned green down in the center of town, Smokey gunned the engine, sped up through all four gears, and built speed for the oncoming hills. "Onward, onward, into the jaws of Death they rode!"

We hit the bottom of the first hill at about 45-50, and immediately started losing headway. Third gear now, and still losing speed, second gear - and then, low gear. We could see the top of the hill, and hear the horns behind us. 10 miles per hour, 9, 8. The top was edging closer, and the speedometer needle was edging downward. 7, 6, 5 getting there. By now, onlookers were cheering us on. Kinda embarrassing for a kid. Smokey gritted his teeth and put finger prints into that Limey steering wheel. 4 miles per hour. Now the engine was bogging and bucking. It didn't like this job at all. And then - victory! Aye god that weak kneed little beast did it! Gaining speed again, 5, 6, 7, second gear. We'd done it! The rest of the trip was uneventful.

Yesterday, Julie and I flew into Ionia Field Y70. Maggie, the friendly gal who flies in air races and tends the office, wasn't there. However, a van rolled up as we were securing the Duck, and offerred us a ride. Now, Applebee's is only about 3/4 of a mile away, but both of us have knees that snap, pop, and give sharp little reminders that we're not 18 any longer. So we gratefully accepted. Tony showed us a better place go park, nearly a half mile closer to the pedestrian gate. Then he dropped us at the front door and gave us his cell phone number so we could call for pickup.

Some restaurant chains are predictably good (Cracker Barrel and Throwed Rolls immediately come to mind), and others aren't. We've never been disappointed in an Applebee's; they must have a good training program. Yesterday, we each tried their hamburgers. I had the Blazin' Texan BBQ. We weren't disappointed at all. I asked the waitress to please let the manager know that our patronage was directly because of the nearby airfield. Inter-relationships between businesses are very valuable. I grew up in a family business in a small town, and learned that by age 13. I finished off my burger, and half of Julie's is in the fridge.

The ride home was bumpy, like speeding over a road that's been neglected by the county for too long. Visibility was 35 miles. LOTS of round miles out there. Landing was OK. We'd cheated death again. Time to retreat to the Bestsellers Coffeeshop.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
TWEAK IT JUST A BIT

Nearly every time on landing, and every time when trimming out the Duck to cruise along evenly, I'd like to be able to tweak the throttle either up or down just a little bit. Problem is, I seem to undershoot or overshoot the mark. The darned throttle either pushes in a bit more than I'd planned, or pulls out a bit more. sigh. There are specially designed throttles to eliminate this problem. They are called vernier throttles. They work in two modes.

You can advance or retard the throttle by pushing it in or pulling it out, just like a standard throttle. Additionally, it can be tweaked either up or down by turning the throttle knob. THAT'S what I want. So, I am looking at that. It takes a one-time OK by the FAA, and then it's a simple remove and replace (R&R) action. Next srep, get FAA to say OK.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
LONG CIRCLES, SLOW STRAIGHTS

I was tired yesterday, still resting up from 8 days on the Manistee River horsing gear up and down sandy banks. Deanna, my Instructor Pilot, had a little sympathy - darned little.

What we're still working on is me learning how to safely get out of Instrument Meterological Conditions (IMC). When you can see the ground, it's much easier to fly straight, in circles, ascend, and descend as you intend to do it. But, it takes training and a lot of practice to do it blind - looking just inside the cockpit. So, we practice.

If I end up flying in very low visibility, whether inadvertently or with stupid aforethought, I have to get back out of it. Turning around in a long, slow circle is one way of doing that. A standard rate turn, if done exactly, will produce a full, 360 degrees of turn in exactly two minutes. Mine varied between 2:45 and 1:30. Not real accurate.we learned a few things.
1. I'm not real good at this.
2. Some improvement is actually there as I practice.
3. Slowing from 110mph to 90 helps.
4. Changing only one variable at a time helps.
5. A lot more practice is needed. It's called recurrent training.

Later, downstream, I think that upset training will be valuable. Kind of like getting tipped over nearly all the way - or all the way - and recovering control to be right side up with the pointy end going forward. Cheating death is getting to be more complicated. It used to be all I had to do was to not let either Mom or the teacher catch me. Now, I have to think. That's complicateder.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Stick with it Jack. Not only is it fun, it is a challenge that may save your life and those with you. Once again—hat is off to you. I got too lazy to keep properly trained and current so just let it go. Flying was a great thrill and actually a way of life. I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.

Andy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks, Andy. You're a professional pilot, and I'm just a recreational one. It helps me stretch and grow.

Any chance of you getting back into flying again? Lots of vintage planes around out there. Of course, you'd have to give up a bit of fishing. But, think of the looks on grandkid's faces when Grandpa breaks ground with them in the right seat!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
HARMFUL ALGAE BLOOMS (HABs)

Well, my idealism kinda dwindled. Mounting and using the camera is a hassle. A doable one, but still a hassle. And, to photograph underwater weeds just didn't seem worth it. There may be other possibilities.

Does anyone have coordinates for a nude beach? ;-)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
HARMFUL ALGAE BLOOMS (HABs)

Does anyone have coordinates for a nude beach? ;-)

Cape Canaveral or as most folks know it Cape Kennedy at the end of the Play Linda Road. Park at the end and go north on the beach for about 1/4 mile. Take a camera with you so everyone will cover up since most of them look like a bunch of beached walruses.
Now put the camera away since it has done what you wanted it to do. Continue to walk north about two miles pass the nude section of the beach to the old barge wreck which is a great place to do some Red Fish fishing.