Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck | Page 25 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
ANNUAL INSPECTION

Monday, the Duck goes in for her annual inspection. She's going in late this year. Usually, I put her in around Christmas time. What with the holiday schedule, snowy weather, and all, I wouldn't be flying much anyway. Also, every year I've done upgrades and improvements. This year, I plan to do some, but after the annual is done.

Hopefully, before the inspection and any necessary repairs are done, FAA will have gotten off of dead center and I can fly again. I need to fly; there's territory out there to be scouted, horses in the fields to be counted, borders to be patroled. Gotta watch those borders - fellas from Louisiana try to sneak in. Gotta watch'em close!

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
My sympathies Jack. Flying can indeed be an addiction. Be careful the FAA may read your post and accuse you of being an addict! Then they will want another letter. Hopefully the new class 3 rules will help some of us.
Good luck with it.

Andy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
For a couple of weeks now, FAA has had all the information they requested. It's been three months since my physical. I'm hoping for good news soon.

In the meantime, the Duck is in for her annual checkup. There was a broken zerk on the nose gear scizzors. (How in the world do you break a zerk? I've never seen or even heard of that.). Seals in the bottom of that da$:%ed nose gear were leaking and had to be replaced. The little gremlin that lives inside the strut can be heard giggling and chortling. Little bastard!

The brake pucks were pretty worn, even in only two years since they were last replaced. I guess my practicing aggressive braking and short field landings (even when no need to exists) is benefitting somebody! No matter, I'd rather be proficient than not. I'm not really a whiz bang pilot. But, I can get'er up and get'er down again, and can muck along in between. I want to be fairly good at something, so I practice point landing and short stopping distance. sigh.

"Flying is the second greatest thing to do in the world. Landing is the greatest."

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, almost all landings are controlled crashes. Some are controlled a lot better than others. The landings out on the ends of the spectrum, well, the really good ones are REALLY good. While the ones out on the left hand end of the spectrum are either never mentioned, or embellished a lot, and then bragged about.

I've heard two definitions of a "good" landing. (1) If you can walk away from it - it's a good landing. And, (2) If you can reuse most of the parts - it's a good landing.

I'm guessing that Andy can add some experiences and wisdom here.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A HANGAR QUEEN IS FREE AT LAST

We liberated the Duck today. She smiled, and gave an audible sigh of relief. In an annual inspection, they remove about ellebbendy ellebben little panels. These inspection panels cover up inspection ports. Peeking into these ports, they can see the innards and working parts, lube things, test cable tension, check bellcrank alignment, look for stress cracking, inspect for corrosion, etc. Also, they change the oil, replace filters, etc. similar to a car.

I knew about a broken zerk on the nose gear scizzors (HOW do you break a zerk?!), and they also found a broken seat rail and worn brake pucks. A few mormal wear and tear items like that, on a machine over 53 years old is pretty good, I think.

Now, all I have to do is emerge OK from the FAA's digestive tract, and we're free to roam the countryside (countrytop?) again. sigh

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A FAINT LIGHT ON THE HORIZON

Well, in the last two telephone conversations, FAA reveals that a letter OKing me to fly has been typed, and is awaiting a signature. While this makes no sense to me, it seems to make sense to them. That concerns me.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Kayak Jack said:
A FAINT LIGHT ON THE HORIZON

Well, in the last two telephone conversations, FAA reveals that a letter OKing me to fly has been typed, and is awaiting a signature. While this makes no sense to me, it seems to make sense to them. That concerns me.
Free At Last---Freeee At Last??? I think.

Bob
Good Luck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
More light on the horizon. I got a phone call from my contact at FAA. My letter was signed yesterday. Should arrive next week Wednesday/Thursday. Once I do three, full stop landings for proficiency, I can carry passengers again. Then, Julie and I can get into the air again!

There IS a god in Oklahoma! ;-)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks, Andy. Congress cut some of those Oklahoma gods off at the knees. Starting 1 May, our family doctors take kver for a Class 3 physical.

I plan to join the UFO (United Flying Octogenareans) in December/January. Had breakfast with good friends this morning. One of them still flying at age 95. Flew a B-26 up Omaha Beach on D-Day. Still sparkle in his eyes.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Ernie has lots of stories, but he's pretty modest. He's one heck of a guy. His son, Terry, is a well known test pilot. They let me eat breakfast at the same table with them. I don't have to go sit on the organ stool at the card table, over in the corner.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
SCOUTING

Once my authorization to fly arrives from FAA, (Wednesday or Thursday?), Julie and I will get the Duck back aloft, and go scouting. Items on our list include stuff like:

1. Spring - where's the corner that just around which spring is hiding?
2. Buffalo herds. Our chieftan wants to know in which direction they are approaching.
3. Any early signs of invading marsuders - Attila the Hun, Ghengis Khan, Geronimo, Panzer tanks - anything suspicious like that.
4. Nude sunbathers
5. Etc.

Debriefing will follow aerial recon. Top Secret clearances required. Or, at least a pinky swear.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
G'day, Andy. Thanks for asking. Maybe the best info on the STOL kit is from the guys who make it. Go to http://www.steneaviation.com. Read the STOL kit description and information.

When I was researching, I looked at (1) a kit that integrated flaps and ailerons, (2) vottex geberators, and (3) the Sportsman cuff from Stene.

Option (1) is complicated with moving parts. As the flaps are lowered, the ailerons also droop. My first concern there would be reduced lateral control. My second thought was rigging all those bellcranks in there. My third thought was asymetrical roll if just one part of the system works, and another part doesn't. I preferred fewer moving parts, not more.

Option (2) Vortex generators (VGs) add no moving parts, and are quite effective, especially when coupled with the Steen Sportsman cuff. But that gets to be a lot more money. And, the VGs have to be treated very carefully or they get knocked off of the wing, vertical stab, or horizontal stab. If two or more are missing the plane is grounded. Not a robust solution.

Option (3), the Stene Aviation cuff was simple, has large effect (nearly doubles the lift component), and adds no moving parts. Revisit http://www.steneaviation.com. It changed the character of the plane. Now, slow flight can be done with a clean wing - no flaps. A power on stall doesn't stall, it hangs on the prop. Final is straight and stable. With the original wing, especially Cessna's old wing like the Duck has, final was jigging and jagging with me hanging on and trying to keep up with what was going on.

It also dampened out the SLAM that had been being delivered by thermals. Now, the plane rises and drops as we fy along - but gently. No longer is it like blindly hitting a large pothole while driving along, and getting slammed all over.