Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck | Page 27 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
ROAD RECCE

This afternoon, Julie and I got aloft. We reconnoitered some local roads, large fields of muck where celery grows all summer lomg, grass strips where friends live and fly out of, local sewage disposal ponds, and an archery shop.

Sewage disposal ponds are easy to see because they are alays geometrically shaped. Nature's ponds are irregularly shaped with no straight edges and no 90 degree corners. Alas, the archery shop wasn't as easy to spot. I could have circled to try harder, but Air Traffic Control (ATC) had been calling opposing traffic ahead, in our 12:00 o'clock to 11:00 o'clock. Circling, while looking at the ground diverts my attention away from the sky. That negates the "see and avoid" procedure.

This week, I'll drive to the archery shop, and buy the crossbow I've been looking at and coveting. Silent sniping from 1,000 years ago. Venison - at about $50-$100/pound. sigh

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Fairchild PT-19

I belong to several organizations that are aircraft related. A less serious, more fun one is the Antique Aircraft Association. While the national headquarters is not as tightly organized as many others, our state chapter here in Michigan is active. I've written previously of a couple of our soirees - visiting the WACO Aircraft Company in Battle Creek, Michigan, where brand new aircraft are being made. These bi-winged, open cockpit birds - with a round engine up front - are classic. Visiting an aircraft restoration plant in Vicksburg, Michigan, we saw Ford Tri- Motors being resurected around a single, non functional piece of metal (a doorstep). Ford tri-motors were originally being made by the Ford Motor Company about 90 years ago.

Today was something on a smaller, more personal scale. Mike and Penni welcomed us into their hangar at Coldwater KOEB, where Mike rebuilds Fairchild aircraft that were flight trainers in WWII. PT-19s, PT-21s, and PT-23s were primary trainers (thus, the designation of PT). Student pilots liked these birds, because they were much easier to fly than some other trainers. Differences between these three birds were fairly superficial. Mike's personal aircraft is a PT-19, with an open cockpit, no radio, and an inverted engine. His is a six cylinder, in-line engine. Inverted engines have the cylinders on the bottom of the engine - pointing down!

Mike has made many special jigs to build such pieces as reinforcements for floorboards, wing ribs, leading edges of wings, whole wings, horizontsl and vertical stabilizers, etc. The skin on these wings is a special, 3mm mahogonay plywood, of a 45 degree orientation. The grain of the outer plies of this plywood doesn't run lengthways - it runs at a 45 degree angle. And, the grain on the other side is on the opposite 45 degree angle so that these outer grains are at right angles to each other. When steamed, these bend easier. And, they have to double around a full 180 degree bend in just a few inches.

Mike has enough projects to keep him busy for 5-10 years. Metal tubing fuselage structures are hanging in his hangar, awaiting final assembly into completed planes - THREE OF THEM.

Later, over lunch, I talked with a fellow whose refurbished Fly Baby was written up in last month's Sport Aviation magazine. These are the kinds of folks we meet and know in general aviation. While they look kinda ordinary ln the outside to a casual observer, they certainly are not. They are vitally interesting and highly stimulating people to be around. Wow, what a privilege. What a privilege.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
SOMEWHERE - UNDER A RAINBOW

Sunshine five miles deep out there today - CAVU, Clear And Visibility Unlimited. We could see so far out there, that I peeked to see where Easter eggs will be hidden.

Julie and I took a one hour hop. No snow anywhere in sight. No ice on any ponds anywhere around here. Patches of green where winter wheat had been readying for spring all winter long.

Two hawks went under our wings shortly after the first takeoff, on our way to Charlotte KFPK to get some specialized engine oil. There, I got to look at the worn bearings on the ruddervators of a friend's Beachcraft V tailed Bonanza. It's a good thing that Jason found that! On takeoff from here, a sandhill crane crossed in front of us about 200 yards out. Fortuitous timing.

Flying SW'ly along I-69, we came to the town of Olivet. A 120 degree left turn lined us up to fly along a local sneak route between two, small towns here. Along the way, we got to check out farm fields, ponds, curious "Z shaped" channels in a field, streams that meander from one place to the next, Michigan's Grand River, and the 20 acre plot where snorting steam engines gather in late July,

In the traffic pattern, preparing to land at our home field, I finaly did a credible job of controlling air speed. Even with a cross wind, I planked it down where I wanted, and had to add power before turning off at the first taxiway. Taxied in, shut her down, and acknowledged reality - "Cheated death again"

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Right on the cusp, Bob. Green sprouts are poking out their heads in a flower garden; trees are in bud; lawns haven't greened quite yet; and high school kids are running around in tee shirts & shorts. Many birds are back, but gold finches haven't turned back to bright yellow from their winter green yet. April showers started a week early, and today is rain all day. Makes up for yesterday.

Saturday is April fools' day, so keep an eye out for pranksters.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Things are popping down here too Jack. Tomatos are looking strong, cucumbers are about to start climbing as are the Chinese long beans. Just popping out of the ground is amaranth, carrots,Malabar spinach, Chinese cabbage, ground cherrys, Thai edible gourd (zucchini like), Macedonian and Anaheim peppers. Yesterday we got 4.10" of Unneeded rain. Supposed to get more Sunday. Life is good. Enjoy all of it you can Jack.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
AWAITING A HIGH

An overwhelming part of aviation is weather. Often - that becomes, "Weather or not I can fly"? Right now, it's watching and waiting for some good flying weather. March and April in the Midwest have some spots of good weather. They also have wind and rain. And snow. Right now, those last three are dominating.

Strong storms work their ways NE'ly, up from the plains states and Mississippi valley, through Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana, cross over Lake Michigan and the state of Michigan, and on up into Canada.

In the meantime, I can do other activities. Like, think about flying. And, think aboit canoeing. Etc.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Well, ya know, it really is a fur peice up there and all. I'd love to show ya, but my ole truck ain't sucking vacuum too good lately. Manifold pressure ain't what it used to be, right mag. keeps cutting out. Ya know how it is. Maybe next time. :oops:
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
AND . . . FOUND A HIGH

A clear and beautiful day out there today. So, after the pancake breakfast, Julie and I ventured forth. Plan was to fly past Duck Lake to land at Marshall Field KRMY. Winds were SW'ly, gentle to moderate. The pattern at Mason was busy - sunny Sarurdays brings them out of the woodwork.

As we approached Marshall, I tuned in to their weather broadcast. OOPS! Gusts to 15 knots. That's right on the edge for my plane. That gusting hadn't been in the weather briefing. We talked about it a minute, and I decided to turn around. We contacted Air Traffic Control (ATC) in Lansing, announced our intentions, and requested Flight Following for the return to Mason.

On the flight, we could readily see a LOT of standing water in fields. The Grand River, Red Cedar River, and all streams and rivulets are doing a land office business. Farmers won't be able to get on their fields for a couple-three weeks. In the meantime, winter wheat keeps on growing, of course.

Wildlife seems to be thriving in the spring weather. The last two years, deer were in over-abundance around here. There had to be expanded hunting because the excess deer population led to cases of chronic wasting disease. There is such a thing as too much success.

Actually, people are seeing signs in the world of too many people too. All the envirinmental concerns are directly related to, caused by, and exacerbated by too many people. Funny, the things you think about, while flying over the land.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
SOME DAYS . . . . . .

Some days the skies are clear, winds are fair, and vizibility stretches into next week. Other days there is lightning walking all around the sky. Thunder too. (no, that sound isn't made by lightning - it's really Henry Hudson bowling 9 pins. I know, because that's what my second grade teacher told us!). Well, today is full of rain, thunderclouds, lightning, gusty winds, low ceilings, low visibility - flying hazards all over the place. So.......

Today, I'm curled up with a large cup of hot tea, and the "Airplane Flying Handbook" published by our Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Rereading the How To, What To, When To, Why To etc. of flying helps me plug along here in the continuing journey of learning to fly well and better. That journey is a long, pleasant trail.

A couple of days ago, I teceived an invitation to join the UFO organization. This one is United Flying Octogenarians. Not quite yet qualifying, I responded with thanks, and my promise to fly as Pilot In Command (PIC) on, or ASAP after my 80th birthday in December. The Ruptured Duck and I will waddle down the runway and break the bonds of gravity. Their response was invitations to any of their activities in the meantime. Consisting of only about 1,500 men and women, and chock full of piss and vinegar, these are my kind of folks!