Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck | Page 47 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
A true Ham Sandwich is with slices from a Honey Cured Ham , about two or three decent slices. A little of the Ham juice from the roasting pan with the ham is OK. A combined thickness of no less then a 1/4 inch , more is always better. Any Ham hanging/sticking outside the bread is considered a bonus. After all no one makes a neat/trimmed Ham Sandwich.
Next some mustard ( Yellow ) Frenches. Topped with a well aged Sharp Cheddar cheese , enough to cover all of the Ham. Then some lettuce and all of it between two thick toasted slices of Sour Dough Bread.
Garden fresh sliced Tomatoes is considered as a optional ( Seasonable ) item.
Or all of the above between some Buttery , Garlic , Texas Toast.

Jack, JACK, snap out of it! You've gone off the deep end! LOL!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Went on a 2 hour ride this morning. My friend has had a couple of strokes, and can’t fly anymore. He rides his recumbent bike daily, and today we went on paved trails through river beds, under the I-96 interstate highway, on abandoned RR roadbeds, in parks, over sidewalks, and into a McDonald’s drive through line.

Many people are riding bikes and walking in family groups, pairs, small groups, and a few singles. Some are in street clothes (Lynn and me), others have special outfits of bright colors. A trio of geezers who ride together came in to a rest stop wearing bright tee shirts with “Chain Gang” written on them.

People find many ways to get together, enjoy each others’ company, and socialize together. Man is a gregarious animal, a herd animal, a pack animal. Walking shoes and bicycles facilitate that.

So does ice cream

Last edited:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
AT LAST!!

The plane should be ready by this weekend! Before soloing in it, I’m going to get a few (2-4) hours of transition training. Ultralites have a higher drag factor than real planes, and I’m 2 1/2 years rusty. That flourescent orange/flourescent yellow combination is HIGHLY visible!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks, Andy. Ultralite is not recognized as an aircraft, by FAA. Ergo: no physical, no license. Only spec from FAA is empty weight no more than 254 pounds. And, they ignote that. “Don’t have time to weigh ultralites.”. You can get one and fly it. I’m getting transition training tomorrow morning. They’re a high drag plane. Glide ratio only 5:1. Only slightly more aerodynamic than a brick.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I flew yesterday, for the first time in nearly 2 1/2 years. I was in a light sport aircraft (LSA) 2 seater with an instructor. I was practicing landings at Zender Airfield 66G near Frankenmuth MI. This is the best designed and cared for grass field that I have ever seen. The 2,500’X100’ runway is flat and smooth full length, not wavy or bumpy. And, on final approach and touch down at 60-70 mph, the grass is going by really fast about 6” under your feet. In the Cessna that I owned and flew, you flared the aircraft nose up, while the tires were still a few feet up in the air before touching down. Ultralites are so much lighter that, if flared from that high, the wings woud stall, lose lift, and slam the aircraft down KABANG. So, you don't flare the nose up until the tires are only about a foot from touchdown. A whole new ballgame to be learned. I also learned to fly the landing pattern at 300’ above ground level instead of 800’. I had way too much altitude to lose on final.

On the return flight, heading back to Alkay Air Field 51G, I was finally able to hold heading and altitude pretty well. We had 60 mph air speed, but a headwind cut our ground speed to about 35-40. “See the highway off about 3-4 miles. 20 minutes later we crossed it.” Had lots of time to inspect those trees and houses down there.

i like the smaller, grass fields a lot. Grass is more forgiving of errors than hard surfaced runways. Commonly, there are few - or none - folks around. The atmosphere is more informal. Lots of them let you camp under the wing overnight.

“Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. I’m hunting WABbits!!”

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, “zipping along” in a Cessna 172 isn’t going to break any speed records. But the.Aerolite’s 55 mph cruise speed is only half of the 172’s. So smelling the roses will be a lot more probable. And, I could fly the enclosed (and heated) 172 in below zero weather. I think that Aerolite flights in the 50s will likely be under an hour before landing to warm up. And, in the 40s will be even shorter?

But I will really enjoy the ability to loiter over a point of interest at a slower speed. There are over 11,000 inland lakes here in Michigan, four of the 5 Great Lakes border directly on Michigan. Much of the state is so heavily wooded that small towns can be difficult to find from the air. Often, the only clues that a town is there are (1) yellow school busses in a school parking lot, and (2) geometrically shaped ponds with straight edges - sewage disposal ponds.

And I like to select a river (one big enough that it appears on the aeronautical charts), and trace its course. To an old woodsman-outdoorsman, that is an interesting pastime. One of the things you learn is that - when still in the small-stream stage - rivers have several sources. Some of them are only field drains, originating in underground tiling systems that drain excess water from under farm fields! These show up ln topo maps, but NOT on aeronautical charts.

I will route out around “tower farms” of several square miles of wind powered generators, towers over 1,000’ tall, cities, etc. There’s plenty of interesting areas here. And dozens of grass strips, small fields with hard surface runways, elk herds, deer trails, etc to keep me occupied.

Last edited:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
D DAY IS NEAR NOW

De-livery Day for the new Aerolite 103 is planned for Friday morning. We have to get up before 0‘Dark thirty, get ready to go, drive 1 1/2 hours, and meet the dealer and plane at 07:30.

Tomorrow would be an OK day,; Friday morning is better. Forecasts call for the morning to be cooler, meaning less turbulence and lower winds. And, I should have a tailwind on the way home. Takeoff from 51G, and landing at TEW. I’ll fly the moped of airplanes across the countryside.

Reactions: grandpa paddler

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Disappointment! As they say on TV, “We are having technical difficulties.” I have to try again another day.

One thing we learned was - that’s the last time we get up at 05:00! We were dead the whole afternoon.