Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck | Page 52 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Nice thing about living down here.
I use my trekking poles ( Black diamond carbon fiber ) to support the ends of the rain fly. I don't extend them all the way , keep them at 48 inches which makes a nice slope to the rain fly and offers vision and ventilation.
At times I have cut a palm frond ( Sable or common name , Cabbage Palm ) and use the stem portion of it to support the rain fly. I like to cut them so they are about 60 inches in height. When I have done that it's a single frond for the corner by the head of the hammock.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
With the Hennessey hammock, I can get by with just one pole, though 3 are more versatile. With my tent, if on the bike I prefer 4 poles. In the canoe, just 2 poles suffice, as my paddles double for poles then. If at all possible, I like everything to do either one, critical job, or several jobs.

Everything, that is, except me. I prefer to have no jobs other than to sit around looking elegant!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A friend of mine is enjoying a resurgence of interest in biking. She’s exploring bikes, trikes, recumbent, folding, etc etc etc. Bikes have begun to creep back into the market place now. A lot of folks are reviving childhood fun this year. Biking is one of the fun things you can do with your clothes on.

Reactions: grandpa paddler

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A friend of mine is enjoying a resurgence of interest in biking. She’s exploring bikes, trikes, recumbent, folding, etc etc etc. Bikes have begun to creep back into the market place now. A lot of folks are reviving childhood fun this year. Biking is one of the fun things you can do with your clothes on.

You wear clothes when Biking ? :eek: Silly me , I keep forgetting you live in a cold climate.:oops:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
So, you’re “streaking” now?

Reminds me of the story about the two, elderly ladies, sitting in rockers on their front porch. An old fellow was “streaking” past. He was naked, and shuffling as fast as he could.

“Gracie! Did you see that? What . . . .what was he wearing?”
“I don’t know what he was wearing, Mabel. But, it sure does need to be ironed!”

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Come spring weather, my first rides are going to have to be carefully done. After the knee surgery, it will be difficult the first few times in the saddle. Shorter trips, near home. Then, start stretching out again.

sigh

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yeah, I know that. Got word yesterday of another college friend passing. My age. I don’t have survivor’s guilt, though. More like survivor’s pride. Plus some survivor’s obligation.

If their Life ended earlier, I figure that maybe some of the time they might have had, is now tacked onto my time? So, just in case that might be true, I owe it to them to do some of the crazy stuff they didn’t. (All the while, thinking to avoiding the stupid stuff that they did do that maybe contributed to an early demise.)

It’s a thready path.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I like my Dahon folding bike. It packs nicely into the back of my Toyota RAV-4. I can pack both (1) a non folding bike with front wheel removed, and (2) my bike folded and front wheel removed. I have a luggage rack permanently attached to the rear, and sometimes attached to the front for camping.

Now, I’ve signed up for a kit to make my bike into an electric bike - pedal assist or total power. Swych sends a replacement front wheel with a motor hub built in. I move tube and tire to the new wheel, bolt on a bracket to the fork head, connect and secure some electrical cables, and hang a bag with computer and battery on the new bracket.

The kits should be available in a month or so. My gimpy calf muscle gets an assist.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack , You will find a whole new world of biking with the pedal assist or just throttle. It's FUN and as far as I'm concerned , the only way to go. The best of all three worlds ..... Peddle , Peddle Assist and then just throttle.
The part I'm going to enjoy is watching you kick your self in the rear end for not doing it sooner. ;)