Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck | Page 54 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack.
I had a 750 Honda Shadow located , it had all the goodies from Windshield to saddlebags. A 2006 model ( Nice soft gray/silver colors, black trim ) with 2,500 actual miles on it for only $4,000.00. Checked the insurance , $265.00 a year. All ready to get it when I checked with the drivers license bureau. Here in Florida you need a motorcycle endorsement. OK No big deal , then I found out the classes are two day's in a parking lot with the sun beating down on you. A $255.00 dollar administrative fee for the classes. The clincher was the 2 days in triple heat index temperatures and still getting over that cancer surgery.
Well I let the bike slide by and decided I will take the classes in November or the 1st part of December when it's nicer weather for being on asphalt especially for those two days , and the sun light will feel good instead of baking you.
I'm sure I will be able to find a bike I like after I get the Motorcycle endorsement. Use bikes are for sale all over the place and the 2022 models are coming out so a reduced price on the left over 2021 models then.

You will have a ball , no other way to say it. 1958 I started with a 150 CC J.B.two stroke. Then went with a 500 CC Triumph Speed Twin in 1960. It has all the goodies on it , I added one at a time till it was a cruiser. Plus it was eventually bored out and about a 650 cc. Rode bikes for about 20 more years.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Thanks, Chuck. when you get it, let us know. You can tow your little camp trailer with it.

I started riding motor bikes (Whizzer) 70 years ago. Rode them a couple of years and got a car. 60 years ago I rode the Honda 50cc that became the Cub, and then Super Cub. Along the way was a Suzuki 250 road bike, a Honda Super 90 in Viet Nam, a Yamaha 250 dirt bike, and ended with a Suzuki 400cc dirt bike that was a powerful brute.

This Super Cub will do some back country rambling, some camping, and other miscellaneous fun-type stuff.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack.
Bikes sort of ran in the family around here. Dad was a full bird in the Army. He had a Capt working for him and the Captains name was Captain Davidson , of Harley Davidson.
Needless to say Dad rode a Harley. His brother Bill rode a Harley as a M.P. in the Army. Mom had a Harley 45 and I'm the other side of the coin. The J.B. , Triumphs , 500 cc Ariel , Honda 750's (3 of them ) and even a BSA.

Triumph made a Cub , The Triumph Tiger Cub , 200cc and quite a nice bike for it's size. A buddy had one and it was fun to ride. Another friend had a Cushman Super Eagle , I would love to have that one today but they are rarer then hens teeth. A couple of riding buddies when I had the little J.B.

As far as the little camper , it was made to tow behind a big bike , Honda Gold Wing or a Harley. I towed it back of my Wrangler. To make a long story short. A friend of ours was going threw Cancer treatment and needed something to keep him busy and his mind off the chemo. He rides a Harley and likes to camp. I wasn't using the camper so I gave it to him. It's my understanding he is trying to wear it out where I did not use it that much , it went to good use and provided a deversion and escape for him.

Reactions: BEARS BUDDY

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Good on you, Chuck

I quit riding motorcycles probably 40 years ago. But this little squirt opens up some warm possibilities. I sat beside it yesterday for 3 hours, pouring through the owner’s manual. I understand everything mechanical on it. But the smart key is more complicated to use than the bike is to ride. I’m going to putt around the neighborhood some here and get used to it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When I started riding my Dad gave me some good advice.
1...Remember you are not the master of it , it is the boss so threat it with respect. When you think you are the boss it will dump you.
2...When riding on the pavement figure all the other drivers are stark raving crazy and out to get you.

Jack , looks like you will be having lots of fun on it. I like the way they have enclosed the chain on them. Really should help to keep the chain in good condition. I noticed one accessory for you , the luggage rack for the back.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
The luggage rack (Honda original equipment model) is coming in. It’s a small one. Looks to be about 6”X8”? I’ll bolt on a piece of plywood to load and lash to. Plus, I’ll rig ability to carry at least two light weight items onto that front fairing. Can probably get 3 or four light weight, bulky items up there. And saddle bags hanging down from the rear rack.
60 years ago, the chain guard was totally enclosed. And the crankcase breather exited in between two of the teeth on the drive sprocket. So the chain was kept oily. I noticed a small, plastic hose hanging down in the middle of the bike. If that is the crankcase breather, I’ll try to route it into the chain guard so that it breathes its warm, oily breath onto the chain.

i had it out for a 3 mile ride today. My shifting was clumsy. I’m going to reindex the shift lever one notch on the spline so it fits me better., and try that.

Last edited:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Something you might want to consider. I got a ultralight backpack in from Waymark gear. It's called the "Mile".

It's $135.00 and has been improved for 2021.
Some of the benefits , not all of them
28 liter total capacity
22 liters main pocket , 6 liters for the front and side pockets.
Shoulder straps are 2.5 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick.
Material is the Xpac construction.
The top is a roll top with a strap.
Weight 16 oz.
It would be a great biking backpack for extra items.

Or , if all you need is a day pack this is a great one. ( Yes , I have one ) The harness they have distributes the packs weight across the shoulders and chest and it's really comfortable without using a belt.
Hill People gear has a day pack that's 22 liters and weighs 1.50 pounds. Unlike the Waymark Mile backpack this pack is 22 liters total , counting all the pockets and zipper enclosures , EVERYTHING. It's extremely comfortable as a day pack. Makes a great day pack for exploring but not for camping.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, this morning I go to a Secretary of State office to tale a written test of motorcycle safety. If I pass that, then I’ll schedule a skills test for Friday. Much more complicated routine than I’ve ever encountered before.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack.
We have instructional school's , privately ran , a person can sign up for. They are two day classes with both practical ( outside parking lot rides ) and classroom. Upon completion you get a certificate from them which you take to the drivers license office and receive a motorcycle permit on your license.
No certificate , no endorsement , the class are $255.00 per person for them.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
And I passed the skills test. Last hurdle, that I know of, is to get it all summarized with the motorcycle endorsement added onto my driver’s license tomorrow. WX all day tomorrow is cold, windy, and rain. Later this week I’ll get some riding in. Local rides first. Also have to figure out how to run the intercoms for the helmets.

And buy a few things: tire plug repair kit for tubeless tires, windshield, weather cover. Bungee for luggage rack.

And plan a few things: add a larger piece of plywood to the teensy weensy luggage rack. Figure where to add holes in the plastic front shield for lashing on camp gear. Rope for luggage rack. More stuff I haven’t yet discovered.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack there is a easy tire repair you can do before a flat. Check out Slime. No it's no joke , It's for real. I keep it on my Himiway ( electric bike ) with the oversized tires. If I get a flat , put the slime in it and go.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I FINALLY got the motorcycle endorsement on my driver’s license today. Now, after interminable BS, I can do what I could do 70 years ago, just because I am a citizen. The laws are designed for a 24 year old kid, and they try to apply it across the board. Both confusing, and unnecessarily complicated. Several mumbled answers to a fairly simple question. A student pilot has less to put up with.

i can get some local riding in this week. Not today - cold and wet here today.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I’m working on an expansion for the rear cargo rack. The toy one from Honda is strong, but its only slightly larger than a sandwich. I’ll bolt os a piece of plywood 12.5” X 16”, and hang saddle bags from it too.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I’ve started to scout areas to ride to and/or ride in next spring. In some areas, we will ride to and through areas, hitting points of interest. Other areas, we could either ride the motorcycles along back roads to get there, or trailer them if the back roads take too long. If we traier, we will probably go to a capground, and establish a base camp. From there we can do day trips out and about the area.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
On the morning of 20 November, I’m going on a field visit back into history. A group that I belong to, the Antique Aircraft Association, will be touring a privately owned aircraft rehabilitation facility in south-central Michigan. There, they rehab Ford Trimotors. They even make the corrugated skin there.

I visited this place 3-4 years ago, and it’s darned interesting. Henry Ford was pioneering on the ground and in the air!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
BTW, some pilots who own some antique aircraft, are flying birds over 80 years old. And, when the folks get done with a Trimotor, it flies out!

Major components like engines and main landing gears are taken from other Trimotors. Almost every other piece, they can make. There has to be a piece of the original aircraft in any rehabilitated bird. On one bird, that piece was the doorstep.

Think about that, and then go look at your car as a comparison.

Reactions: BEARS BUDDY