Texas Barbecue Brisket, Ribs, Rubs and Sauce | SouthernPaddler.com

Texas Barbecue Brisket, Ribs, Rubs and Sauce

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
I am a lover of BBQ and enjoy all styles. I grew up around some of the great pit masters in Texas and learned a lot of ways to do BBQ. I am giving you a tried and true method for Texas style BBQ and a sauce. I am biased and think this is the best but I am always willing to try a different style. If you have not had true Texas BBQ give this method a try, I think you will like it. Many have tried to beg, steal or buy this recipe for years but as I am getting older I have decided to pass my family methods around and let people enjoy them. ET :mrgreen:

The Best Barbecue in Texas and you cook it.
(Which of course means the world?)

BBQ Sauce
1 large bottle ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp liquid smoke
1/2 cup molasses
coarse black pepper to taste(Use a lot) Remember coarse ground pepper adds flavor, fine ground adds heat.
1 tbsp of brisket rub
I usually put a little scotch or whiskey in it.
Mix in sauce pan and bring to a simmer then bottle.
I try to put some drippings from the brisket into the sauce when I slice the meat, for extra flavor when serving. Do not save left over sauce with meat drippings in it as it will go rancid. Add drippings to just enough sauce to serve at the time.

Brisket/Wild Game Rub and Steak Seasoning
8 cups Salt
6 cups Course Ground Black Pepper
¼ cup Garlic Powder (Not Garlic Salt)
1 tblspn Allspice
1 tblspn paprika

The Best Brisket in Texas

First off pick out a brisket that is very flexible and less fatty if possible. In other words you pick it up and it bends easy back and forth. Start fire in pit. I prefer oak and or dry mesquite. Trim brisket of all excess membrane on lean side. Cut out hard section of fat on lean side up by point and any other hard fat on the brisket. This fat will not render so cut it off. Rinse meat well and pat dry with paper towels.
Rub down entire brisket with Liquid Worcestershire sauce and cover with Brisket Rub.

Make sure your lump charcoal or wood coals are burning well and around 225-250 degrees or close. I use dry mesquite and oak wood in my pits. Place the brisket directly on the grating and put it fat side down on a smoker or away from the fire on a barrel. This will protect the meat from the heat of your fire and keep it from drying out or burning. I cook it at a constant 225-250 degrees for about an hour per pound or an internal temperature of 185 degrees. Place in brown paper sack for last hour or more. Take it off and place brisket still in greasy sack in ice chest with out ice of course for a minimum of 1/2 hour. I like to wrap the brisket in the sack with an old towel to keep the heat in the meat. Then remove and slice across the grain. Cooking in this method will produce a crust or "bark" on the out side of the meat. The meat will be extremely juicy and tender.
Do not place brisket in foil as this will steam the brisket and make it like pot roast and not Texas BBQ.

Pork/Wild Hog and Rib Rub
4 Parts Brown Sugar
8 Parts Salt
5 Parts Course Ground Black Pepper
2 Parts Garlic Powder (Not Garlic Salt)
1/2 Part Allspice
1 Part Paprika

Cook pork or ribs the same as a brisket just use the Pork Rub. BBQ sauce is to be served on the side as a dipping sauce and not basted on the meat.

You now have the secrets to great Texas style barbecue. Do not give this recipe away lightly it has been guarded for a long long time. Enjoy!
Wild Ed

Steve

wilded. . . quit . . . yer makin' this ol' Tex-I-Can (Do Anything I Set My Mind To) hungry. . . . .

Just one question, though, Ketchup? In yer BBQ sauce? T'ain't that a tad bit cheatin'? Whatever happened to mashed 'maters being cooked down to a sauce. . . .? Oh, well, it be yer recipe so youse kin do it yer way, I reckon. . . . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
Ketchup is what nearly all of the commercial places start with for a sauce base, just buy it by the bucket. You will also find cayenne pepper sauce made with red pepper powder and left over dill pickle juice on the table along with Louisana Red sauce.

Peppers, onions and pickles are the vegetables we eat with our BBQ in Texas, it is taken for granted. Some places even serve beans.

Like I said if you have a different way to cook barbecue let's eat it, I am just biased about mine but that won't keep me from trying yours. Try it and tell what you think. ET :)

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
If you don't want all the sugar in ketchup (first three ingredients...), try salsa. Hot, medium or mild, then add the other ingredients. You can also toss in a little chili powder or mexican spice mix (cumin, chile, cilantro, & garlic).

If that's too adventurous, take an 8 oz can of tomato paste and a 15 oz can of diced tomatos. Run 'em through the blender if you don't like chunks.