Thanks from a newbe! | SouthernPaddler.com

Thanks from a newbe!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I have read and searched here for some time and have learned very much. I finished my boat( a Croc by gator Boats ) and wanted to say thanks to all who contribute. My boat is not a canoe,pirogue, or kayak, but it is wood and small so I hope it 's ok to post here.
CrocBoat034-1.jpg

If this picture is too big or not ok I'm sorry. I know less about computers than boat building. If it would be ok I would like to post pictures on the Bragging Board?

beekeeper

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
That's a pretty little boat! And welcome to the nut house. A lot of good things happen here. I don't recall any of them at the moment, but with so many great guys hanging around, I'm certain something good has occurred!

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Beekeeper and welcome aboard mate.

Your piccies look fine to me and you boat looks even better. - well done mate!

Brand of boat is irrelevent here, as far as I know. If it is wood it is good :D Hell, any boat is good here. The fact that you made it yourself only makes it better in my opinion.

Post away mate. I am sure you gator will cause a lot of interest here. Particularly from this side of the drain. Our designers over here are limited in number and new ideas are allways welcome.

Could you please share some specifics on your gator, ie length, beam etc and what you think of her.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
WOW....

A Hybrid of all three types of boats wrapped up in one , Good Job. :D

I moved this post from here in the General Section to the Boat Bragging Section , what you see here is a shadow copy of it. PLEASE post anything more in the Boat Bragging Section.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend beekeeper,

Nice. What kinda water does it like? Lake? If so, how big? Well, I reckon all them questions will keep ya busy fer a while. I see ya put that seat back where Keith likes 'em. He haz made a few boats, so I reckon it will work. [chuckle] Somethin' bout that boat makes me think oars. It also makes me think ya got a daughter (mebbe a granddaughter) who likes ta paddle off frum the shore 'n watch the clouds drift by.

regards 'n welcome
bearridge
Bodine College of Profilin'

Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? [Oh! Was I speaking Latin again?] Henry Beard

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
jimsong
Thanks for the welcome.

hairymick
It has been a few months since I worked with the measurements. The plans and boat are not here for me to check. I believe the length is 11' 9", beam 44", bottom max. width is 35" tapering to 16" at the transom. I like the boat a lot, but had issues with tracking. I will address this in another post.

islandpiper
I dont know how many hours because I did not work on it regularly because that would be like a job. It did take more than the 24 hours specified by Gator Boats. It was started in Oct. 08 and finished in Feb. 09. I'm probably just slow and was learning. I have only been able to use it one time 2-28-09. The boat seemed tippy so I removed the base and swivel seat and just sat on the bench. After a few hours, I became more confident and believe the swivel seat will work ok.
[
img_3170.jpg

img_3161.jpg

bearridge
Only been used once but plan to fish and give granddaughter boat rides on protected lake coves. My grandson likes to fish and eat chips while floating small bayous and rivers.

beekeeper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Ditto what Matt said about the seat.

Nice carpentry in that boat.

The size would probably allow you to carry it in the back of a truck rather than being forced to load it on top...?

Good choice of colors, too. It's cheerful looking.

George

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
seedtick said:
that trailer is a stroke of genius

Bodine U. will likely award you an honorary degree for its design

Darn right! Elegant. Simple. Looks like it works. I'd have maybe used bigger wheels for bumpy ground, but you could always change that if it turned into a problem.

George

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Beautiful boat. Tell me more about the dolly cart you built for it. I need to build one. Where did you get the wheels, axle, etc?

It's nice to see good workmanship.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks to all for your compliments. I'm not clear on this Bodine U. comment.

img_3171.jpg

The wheels came from Harbor Freight. The axle is p.v.c. pipe with a wooden dowel inside. I have only used it one time. It will pay off when I can't get the truck close to the water. The vertical support pieces are 2x4's cut to fit under the boat handles. This creates a shoulder that supports the boat and keeps the dolly in place. The clamps are not needed when the boat's weight is on the dolly. There is also a small shelf under the boat. If any problems arise, I will post them. One time usage does not make a proven design.

beekeeper

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
One thing to keep in mind (or a word of warning) with that cart design.
When transporting to the water, with the boat moving forward, if you come to something that will stop the wheels from rolling (rock, stick, root, roadkill possum...), the cart will stop, boat will want to keep going forward, those long levers thru the handles will apply all the torque right to those handles. To me, just the act of rolling looks like it would also want to torque on the handles.
A simple fix would be to put a eye bolt out (or just drill a large enough hole) towards the end of the shelf the boat sits on both sides of the boat. Then run a tie down strap thru one eye bolt bring, both ends of the strap over the boat, run thru the eye bolt on the other side and tighten. Run the strap forward of the raised blue trim part on your boat, that will keep the strap from sliding to the back and loosening. That way when the strap is snugged up, it will keep the cart tight to the boat and stop the axle from wanting to rotate around the handles.
You could just loop the strap around the vertical 2X4, as long as it goes under the shelf (so that it cannot slide upwards) and get the same effect
img_3171.jpg

Good looking boat.

DM