Thanks from a newbe! | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Thanks from a newbe!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
dangermouse01 said:
One thing to keep in mind (or a word of warning) with that cart design.
When transporting to the water, with the boat moving forward, if you come to something that will stop the wheels from rolling (rock, stick, root, roadkill possum...), the cart will stop, boat will want to keep going forward, those long levers thru the handles will apply all the torque right to those handles. To me, just the act of rolling looks like it would also want to torque on the handles.
A simple fix would be to put a eye bolt out (or just drill a large enough hole) towards the end of the shelf the boat sits on both sides of the boat. Then run a tie down strap thru one eye bolt bring, both ends of the strap over the boat, run thru the eye bolt on the other side and tighten. Run the strap forward of the raised blue trim part on your boat, that will keep the strap from sliding to the back and loosening. That way when the strap is snugged up, it will keep the cart tight to the boat and stop the axle from wanting to rotate around the handles.
You could just loop the strap around the vertical 2X4, as long as it goes under the shelf (so that it cannot slide upwards) and get the same effect
img_3171.jpg

Good looking boat.

DM

Thanks for the "heads up" on pulling the boat forward. My orginal plans (idea) was to attach it like your recommendation, only with a bungee cord, not a strap. The dolly seems quite strong as it is. I am trying to keep everything simple. Right now where I'm launching, it is easier to slide the boat a few feet on the ground than it is to put it on the dolly. If after some use in the real world the stap is needed, I will post this.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
We forgot to tell you, Beekeeper. When we post pictures, most guys rent a movie star to portray themselves. I usually use Sly Stallone for me, but got Pamela Anderson once by mistake. Didn't get many complaints, though.

You need to get a contract going for yourself.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
We forgot to tell you, Beekeeper. When we post pictures, most guys rent a movie star to portray themselves. I usually use Sly Stallone for me, but got Pamela Anderson once by mistake. Didn't get many complaints, though.

You need to get a contract going for yourself.

I have a feeling (all my life really) that there is a lot I've not been told. That is an actor! I'm not that good looking. My budget only allowed me to use a local agency, but they said they knew my needs. They had just finished supplying all the picture stand-in actors for the Great S.P. Rendezvous 2009. I sure wish I had looked at those pictures before I hired that guy. O well, I feel like I fit in now.

beekeeper