The Cruise of the "Jitterbug" by John Depa. | SouthernPaddler.com

The Cruise of the "Jitterbug" by John Depa.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As some of you know I was posting trip reports as John made the trip and would send them to me. Here is his report which is published on the West Wight Potter Owner's Home Port Sailing Stories.
http://www.wwpotterowners.com/SailingStories44.html

John has done extended canoe trips (solo 30 day ones ) in the Boundary Waters and paddled 200 miles on the Everglades canoe trail , 100 down on the outside route and 100 back on the inland route. From Everglades city to Flamingo and then back to Everglades City. Plus countless ( to many to list here) canoe trips. :D

Chuck
***********************************************************************************************************************

"Jitterbug" (A West Wight Potter-19) Takes a Cruise
by
John Depa

This is a summation of the 6 month sailing cruise I recently made in a West Wight Potter-19’, “Jitterbug”. The trip
began on November 1, 2008 at my waterfront home in Little Egg Harbor, NJ and ended on May 2, 2009 at the
same location, for a total of 6 months - 2 days and GPS distance of 4,367 (statute) miles.

I had no intention of writing about the experience because I believe that one is influenced (acts differently) knowing
that their actions, and decisions, will later be recorded: At least I found that to be the case while making long canoe
journeys a few years back. However, it has been pointed out that others have aided me through their writing and
that I have an obligation to do the same.

I certainly benefited from, “Cruising the Bahamas in a Potter 19”, by Bill Combs and “Chubby Commutes to
Hawaii”, by Bill Teplow. Stories like these get the juices flowing and highlight the possibilities of small boat
cruising. Hopefully, this account will be of some merit to my fellow sailors.

Background:

I had only been sailing for about 6 years, first with sailing canoes and later with a series of small day sailors
ranging in size from 14’-19’. I think the learning curve is accelerated through canoe-sail racing with the ACA
(American Canoe Association).

My last big boat prior to “Jitterbug” was a 19’ Drascombe lugger, which I sailed for several weeks along the coast
of Maine, taking advantage of the MITA (Maine Island Trail Association) access to camping: What a great trip! The
lugger is certainly a seaworthy craft, and a real “looker” but the absence of a cabin left me (literally) out in the cold
on many occasions. A boom tent does not fully protect one from the elements, or from mosquitoes.

So I began the search for something better suited to an aging sailor like myself. Requisites were: A roomy cabin,
seaworthy, trailer-able and beach-able; in short, a West Wight Potter. Since most of my sailing would be done on
large bodies of salt water, I opted for the BIG 19 rather than smaller 15. http://www.westwightpotter.com/

Potters are currently manufactured in California, by International Marine, so not many find their way to the east
coast. This combined with the fact that they don’t change hands too often made finding a used boat difficult. After
3 months of searching the Internet, I finally found one being auctioned on eBay. I contacted the seller several times
by email, and telephone, before deciding the boat was worth a reasonable bid and the long, long, long drive from
NJ to Birmingham, AL for pick-up. A week later, “Jitterbug”, a 1997 model, was parked in my driveway.

The Boat:

Every new owner feels obligated to do “something” to make the boat more personal. However, I resisted the urge
until after I had sailed her a few times to determine needed changes before drilling holes, or buying new gear. The
boat was little used by the previous owner, but he kept it in ship-shape condition. He had added:

New, full batten mainsail, by North Sails (only hoisted once)
Padded rail covers
New Bimini top
New sink water pump
New Max Burton portable stove
New docking fenders
New Dan forth #8 galvanized anchor
8HP Honda 4 stroke outboard (short shaft)
New tiller (handle)
New teak hand rails (all 4)
New SS telescoping ladder
New rubber floor mats in cabin and cockpit
Recovered interior cabin cushions
15 gallon inflatable fresh water tank

Most everything was purchased from the boat manufacturer. In addition, she was recently waxed and buffed,
giving her the look of a new boat. Jitterbug had always been trailered, so I had to apply a coat of Inter-Protect and
anti-fouling paint prior to launching her for an extended salt water dockage behind my house. After two shake
down cruises, and the considerations of long distance solo sailing, I made the following additions/changes:

Replaced the standard jib with a CDI-1 furling, 150 Genoa, by North Sail (best decision I have ever made).
Replaced the short shaft Honda 8hp with a Nissan 6hp extra long 25” shaft-w/alternator.
Replaced the (never used) Burton stove with a Coleman single burner propane because the cartridges are more
readily available and less expensive.
Ran all control lines to the cockpit to facilitate safer solo sailing.
Purchased a Fortress FX-11 anchor, which was mounted on the bow rail.
Made a transom mounting bracket for the galvanized Danforth anchor to sit behind the transom ladder.
Added a second set of pintles to allow the rudder to be raised completely out of the water during beaching
operations.
Purchased an Airis -10’ inflatable kayak to be used as a dinghy.
Replaced the standing rigging and carried one-each of the old wires as a spare, along with the original sails.
Purchased a Garmin 540s GPS plotter/depth-sounder unit with an “in hull” transducer to avoid drilling holes in the
transom.
Purchased five MapTech Chart Kit books to cover the area from New York to Florida (both coasts) and the
Bahamas: Total weight is 17 LBS
Purchased a SPOT unit (satellite personal tracker) for safety {911 options} and to keep family and friends informed
of my position.

Newmotor_anchormount_addedpintles-600x450.jpg

New motor, anchor mount & added pintles

KeyWestorBust-600x450.jpg

Sign reads, “Key West or Bust”

The Cruise South:

I launched from my dock, located in Little Egg Harbor, NJ, on November 1, 2008 for what was to be a 6 month
cruise. Jitterbug was “loaded to the gills” with drinking water (20 gal), food (enough for a month), clothing (all four
seasons), fishing tackle, Airis kayak, snorkel gear, maps, charts and various other provisions. My “Float Plan”, if it
could be called that, was to head south down the ICW with the intention of eventually landing at Key West, with
the possibility of a detour to the Bahamas. I intended to follow the advice of Lao-Tzu, “A good traveler has no fixed
plans, and is not intent on arriving”. Being single, and retired, allows one the luxury of time. However, I kept open
the option bailing out at any point, which is one nice feature of a trailer-able boat.

The first day took us (“us” being Jitterbug and I) across Great Bay to the ICW, and on to Absecon Inlet where we
took the outside ocean route to Egg Harbor Inlet, then inside again to Somers Point where a friend had arranged a
free slip for the night. Bright sunshine and light westerly breezes made for a perfect sailing day, covering 33 miles
by mid-afternoon: This was going to be so easy… right!

Next day was cold, raw and windy, only to worsen over the next month. I did have the pleasure of hailing my first
(of many) bridges for an opening, “This is the south-bound sailboat, Jitterbug, calling to request an opening”: I
liked the sound of that ; south-bound sailboat! We also spent our first night anchored-off in Cape May, NJ.

Next day I had a sailor’s dream trip (favorable wind and tide) through the Cape May Canal and up Delaware Bay,
to anchor for the night by the Salem nuclear plant. Night #4 was spent in Chesapeake City, MD taking advantage
of their hospitality and free dockage. I woke in the morning to learn that we had a new president, Obama. The next
night found us in Rock Hall, MD where I was again provided free dockage at the Waterman’s Restaurant, after
enjoying the best Seafood Buffet I have ever tasted.

On Nov 6th we had a SCA (small craft advisory) with north winds 20-30mph, during which both Jitterbug and I
were tested while on a downwind run under mainsail alone, negotiating following seas of 4-6’. Truth be known, I
was caught off guard and feared turning into the wind to lower the main, so I just kept going until we reached
Annapolis Harbor, where I breathed a sigh of relief and lowered the main. We continued on with a partially furled
jib to Herring Bay for the night anchorage. From that point on, I never left the dock/anchor if wind predictions were
25mph or above: 15-20 was the max!! This was November; I am sailing solo with water temperatures in the mid-
50s and very few other boats on the bay. A capsize would surely end in death by hypothermia, so why even
consider taking a chance? That being said, I still got caught with my pants down a few times due to faulty weather
predictions.

Next day we traveled another 38 miles to Solomon Island, MD where Jitterbug was again given free dockage. This
late in the season, cruiser traffic had dwindled and dock-masters seem to take kindly to such a small craft as the
Potter. He looked at Jitterbug and said, “Hell, I can’t charge you; we have dinghy’s bigger than that”. While there, I
visited the Calvert Museum which was well worth the time. Three days later we reached the Hampton Public
Docks for a day of rest. Dockage was only $1 per ft (no minimum size) with clean, hot showers (much needed by
this time) and a free loaner bicycle, which allowed me to tour the town and re-supply. This was our first “paid
dockage”, but by no means the last.

I should mention that the temperature had dropped drastically, dipping into the low 20s several nights. Always a
problem, condensation became even more annoying when it froze on the cabin ceiling. Needless to say, I was very
glad to have a down-filled sleeping bag rated for ZERO, wool socks and a stocking cap. The only source of heat
was a tea-lite candle. However, the cabin did heat up quickly in the morning while brewing tea with the propane
stove. Still, we sometimes didn’t hoist anchor until 9am when the outside temperature had warmed a bit. Keep
moving south, John!!!

I should also mention that the Nissan outboard motor generated enough power to keep the12 volt battery charged
almost the entire trip: We only used shore power one time, after an all night sail with running lights and GPS. The
masthead and cabin lights had been changed to LED to conserve energy. Biggest battery drain was the GPS,
which was ON constantly. VHF radio is hand-held and operates with 6 - AA batteries.

Next point of interest is in Norfolk, VA, the location of buoy marker #36, which is the official start of the ICW mile
markers, mile “0”: Key West Bight Marina is the end, located at mile “1,243”. Just beyond Norfolk the ICW splits
into two possible routes, the older (more scenic) Dismal Swamp route or the newer Albemarle & Chesapeake
Canal route.

We chose the Dismal Swamp, and arrived at the lock entrance just in time for the last opening of the day. I was a
bit nervous, this being my first lock-through, but the friendly lockmaster made the procedure a piece of cake. Three
of us went through together and all moored at the free public dock for the night, there to await the drawbridge
opening in the morning. The nearby town (another Chesapeake City) is just a short walk down the road, so I
treated myself to dinner. Unfortunately, next day was marred with rain and drizzle, which made the Dismal Swamp
really dismal (pun intended), so we motored to the North Carolina Welcome Center where we were again treated
to free dockage and true Southern hospitality: Free internet, clean restrooms, lounge area with a small library &
book exchange, nearby hiking trail and a free shuttle service for needed supplies.

DismalSwamplock-600x450.jpg

Dismal Swamp Lock

NavigatingDismalSwamp-600x450.jpg

Navigating the Dismal Swamp

The next morning, two of us headed for Elizabeth City, NC, which also provides free dockage, to wait out a SCA
forecast before crossing the often hazardous Albemarle Sound. There are only 9 boat slips at the Elizabeth City
dock, but the friendly “Rose Buddies” (as they are called) will make room elsewhere for late arrivals. This is
another city that bends over backwards to accommodate ICW cruisers. The “Rose Buddies” got their name
because one of them would present a complimentary rose to each woman aboard ship. They will also provide a
free shuttle to get needed supplies such as gas, or propane. Everything else in town is within easy walking
distance. This is Day 14 and Jitterbug has traveled a total of 440 miles, for a daily average of 31.4 miles.

The entire fleet remained at Elizabeth City for 3 more days, enduring heavy rain and gusty winds, until we finally
got a “window of opportunity” to cross some big, open waters. I was the first to leave the dock, at 6:30am, in the
chill of morning light: traveled 10 miles down the Pasquotank River, 25 across Albemarle Sound and then 19 more
miles up the wide Alligator River to the mouth of the Pungo Canal, for a total of 54 miles just at dusk. Needless to
say, we motor-sailed all day, and even though first to leave, I was last to arrive.

The Potter-19 has a lot going for it, but speed is definitely, positively, absolutely not one of its shinning attributes.
In fact, I only passed one boat (yes, just one) during the entire 6 month trip; and that particular craft was jury-
rigged to look like a pirate ship, with sails so out of balance that it could barely make headway. By this time, I was
used to being the fleet slow-poke, and happily exchanged waves while playing hop-scotch with the others. We
were usually the first to hoist anchor in the morning and last to set anchor for the night, so Jitterbug became well
know, and respected, among the southbound cruisers as a tenacious little craft.

The narrow Pungo canal required 100% motor power, but we later got to sail a section of the river, at least for a
while, until the wind turned gusty and “on the nose”, at which point we anchored for the night in a sheltered cove.
Next day was more of the same with a rough ride across Pamlico Sound, into Goose River.

Very cold night, 22 deg, and had to start early in the morning to traverse the big Neuse River before winds picked
up. Arrived at Oriental, NC at noon, after only 19 miles for the day, and tied to the city’s free dock (last such
amenity) to once again wait out strong winds. While there, I met cruisers from several other boats and we became
friends over the weeks and months to come.

Early next morning I made the 4 mile crossing of the Neuse River and arrived at Morehead City, NC in time to beat
the worst of a nor’easter that lasted 2 more days. I docked at Portside Marina ($30 per night) where the owner was
kind enough to give me a 3 mile ride to the nearest Quality Inn hotel, where I stayed 2 nights to dry out and warm
my chilly bones. I enjoyed dinning at local restaurants and caught up on laundry and supplies. It turned out that I
would only spend 2 other nights “on shore”, the remainder of the cruise was spent “aboard ship”.

On Nov 24th the skies cleared enough for me to resume cruising, and 2 days later I tied up at Barefoot Landing,
SC. The “Cruiser Guide” listed it as a free dockage, but they now charge $1.75 ft. with the only “facilities” being
the public restrooms in the shopping complex; not much bang for the buck, but it was late and this section of the
ICW really is a “ditch” (very narrow canal) so I had no choice and paid the price.

Nov 27th, Thanksgiving Day found us on the Waccamaw River, SC after a 54 mile day of motoring with the jib: My
holiday dinner was a can of Campbell’s Chunky Soup. Night temperatures were still near freezing, and for the
umpteenth time I chattered, “I left home a month too late….brrrr”. Keep moving south, John!! Next day I stopped at
McClellanville for gas and while there bought 3 pounds of fresh shrimp, right from the boat, for a total of $8.00. I
considered it a late Thanksgiving dinner. Anchored in the Harbour River, SC and caught a small redfish (released)
just before dark.

Note: I tried fishing, both casting and trolling, on several occasions but only caught a few small striped bass (rock
fish) in the Chesapeake. It was just too cold!

We arrived at Charleston, SC, Nov 30th, on a cold, windy afternoon. Stopped at the City Marina to learn that
dockage was $2.00 per ft with a 35ft minimum, or $70.00 per night for little 19’ Jitterbug. This is one of the things
that irked me though-out the trip, a “MINIMUN CHARGE” of a 30’-35’ boat. On top of that, they wanted me to tie to
the face dock, which was exposed to crashing waves before the tugboat traffic passed by. Jitterbug would have
been reduced to a heap of battered fiberglass by morning, so I bade them farewell and motored across the harbor
to a lovely river anchorage on the leeward side of a park picnic area.

Next morning I got a slip at the Marriot Hotel, with a room, for just a few dollars more than City Marina wanted to
charge for just dockage. The Marriot also provided a shuttle service into center city where I took a long walk and
had dinner.

Next day found us anchored in the Dawho River, then on to Beaufort, SC where I tied to the City Courtesy Dock
(daytime only) for a tour of the town, and later anchored a few hundred yards off, amid a large fleet of other
sailboats, for the night. On the following day we crossed the Georgia state line to an anchorage in front of the
Bonaventure Cemetery, made famous by the book, “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil”. Still cold, keep
moving south, John!!

On Dec 5th we another 54 mile day, which put us over the 1,000 mile GPS odometer reading, and anchored in
Sapelo Sound, GA. Calm winds were a blessing while crossing the wide open sounds in Georgia – no ICW “ditch”
here, the Georgia section is mostly comprised of natural rivers & sounds. Took an alternate route, Frederick
Creek, around St. Simon Island and encountered our first bout with mosquitoes during the night.

Next day we docked at Brunswick Marina, GA. This was Dec. 7th, a Sunday, and I learned that “Georgia is closed
on Sunday”: Very southern Baptist. Forecast was for another bone-chilling night so I opted for a room at the
Comfort Inn. This was the last hotel room for the remainder of the cruise; all subsequent nights were spent aboard
Jitterbug. Next day was “sloppy” crossing St. Andrew Sound, but a calm anchorage in Delaroche Creek, near St.
Mary, GA. Once there we spent 5 days alternating between day trips to “town” (St Mary’s) and the Cumberland
Island National Wildlife Area. Hiking there is fantastic, with two daytime docks suitable for a dinghy, or small boat
like Jitterbug, while St. Mary’s has free daytime dockage at the public boat ramp.

Friends of mine were just completing a 4 day canoe paddle in the upper St Mary River, so I paid for dockage at
Land’s Marina and arranged for a shuttle ride to meet them. We had a few laughs during the afternoon, but it was
too cold for camping so I returned to Jitterbug for the night. Next morning, on Dec 13th (6 weeks since leaving NJ)
we crossed the Florida state line, sailed right by Fernandina Beach and continued on to anchor for the night near
Jacksonville Beach, FL where a huge regatta of various craft, brightly lit and decorated for Christmas, cruised by
for over an hour just after dark.

The weather finally began to moderate this far south, and I spent a pleasant day docked at St. Augustine City
Marina ($2.00ft, no minimum). This is one of the most historic cities in America, complete with its own fort and
stunning architecture; a definite “must see” stop-over.

Continued south, spending nights at Flagler Beach, New Smyrna Beach and Titusville, where I paid $2.00 for a hot
shower and spent time walking the town. The Indian River is dotted with spoil islands, created by the US Army
Corps of Engineers with the sand and mud from dredging the channel. These islands are excellent camping
locations. Jitterbug was beached several times for an afternoon of exploration and fishing, or a night anchorage.
The ability to raise the keel and navigate in 10 inches of water is the #1 reason I wanted a Potter.

StAugustineCityMarina-600x450.jpg

View from St. Augustine City Marina

IndianRiverspoilislands-600x450.jpg

Indian River spoil islands

We continued south to spend one night at Melbourne Beach and stopped at popular Vero Beach, but they were
fully booked. This is the “final destination” for many cruisers, who spend the winter here before returning north in
the spring. I did tie up long enough to take the shuttle bus for groceries, and then continued on to beach at another
spoil island for the night. Next anchorages were Manatee Cove, Hobe Sound and then Peanut Island near Palm
Beach, which is a beautiful state park well worth a visit. One of its attractions is the bomb-proof shelter built for
JFK for use while he visited the family home in Palm Beach.

From this point on it’s a long motor south through metropolitan areas with condo after condo, built just a few feet
apart. Much time is spent waiting for draw bridges to open, and very little opportunity to hoist sail. On Dec 25th,
Christmas Day, we arrived at Ft. Lauderdale and docked at the city marina: After cruising almost 2 months (55
days) and traveling a total of 1,540 GPS statute miles, for an average of 28 miles per day.

JitterbugdockedatFtLauderdale-600x450.jpg

Jitterbug docked at Ft. Lauderdale

LasOlas-FtLauderdaleBeach-600x450.jpg

Las Olas – Ft Lauderdale beach

Ft. Lauderdale represented a milestone on the trip: It was a destination point in and of itself, and also the place
where a decision would be made on whether to cross the gulf-stream to the Bahamas, or continue down the ICW
to Key West. I decided to rest for a few days, enjoy the local scene, watch the weather pattern and reflect on the
trip to date.

Lessons Learned:

First and foremost, I left NJ too late in the season; should have left a month earlier.

When selecting a marina for dockage, I learned to look for one with floating docks because those with fixed pilings
where designed for much larger boats which made it difficult to moor Jitterbug, and even more difficult for me to
climb onto the dock at low tide.

During one of my early anchorages, the tidal change resulted in the anchor line wrapping around the keel, which
prevented hoisting in the morning. After several futile attempts, and much deliberation, I realized that all I had to do
was raise the keel – DUH. For the remainder of the trip, I set an additional stern anchor when anchoring in a swift
tidal flow. This also prevents the Fortress Danforth type anchor from braking loose with the swing of the tide.

I had considered installing an automatic pilot, but decided against it because most of the ICW trip is navigating in
confined areas. I did, however, use a tiller-tamer which worked well enough for me to leave the helm for (very) brief
periods. I will not add the auto pilot.

The Fortress FX-11 anchor, with 6ft of 5/16” coated chain never broke free, even in some VERY rough conditions.
However, we never anchored in water over 20ft in depth.

The decision to use the Coleman propane stove proved to be wise: Replacement canisters for the Burton stove
were not readily available. A cylinder lasted between 5-7 days. The cooking unit, fabricated from a Tupperware
container, also worked well.

cookingunitandfoldingbicycle-600x450.jpg

Cooking unit and folding bicycle

I did not leave home with a bicycle on board, but later bought a folding one made by Dahon, model Curve, with 16”
wheels, which just barely fits in one of Jitterbug’s aft berths. I paid more for this bike than I did for my first car, but it
really added to the experience. I would consider it a “must have” for this kind of trip.

The Bimini top was somewhat useful on rainy days, but sagged badly in the middle due to its faulty design, which
resulted in water dripping on me anyway. I later made a “prop” with the adjustable boat hook, but will try to come
up with a better solution.

The guide-book I used was “Dozier’s Waterway Guide” which definitely favors those marinas who pay for
advertising (surprise!!). Many cruisers seem to prefer, “Skipper Bob’s Guide”. Either way, I would look on the
Internet for a used copy, as they are expensive.

The “Maptech ChartKit” books worked very well in conjunction with the GPS unit. I purchased all five books for
$100 from craigslist.com. Several are not the most current issue, but islands don’t move that much from year to
year, and $400 is a big savings.

The Nissan 4-stroke, 6hp outboard motor worked flawlessly. The alternator kept the battery fully charged. In fact, I
later purchased a voltage regulator to prevent over charging. (which may not have been necessary?). Fuel
consumption, overall, was 27 MPG; this includes ALL miles covered, even those under sail alone. I found the most
efficient motoring hull speed to be about 5.5mph, which was roughly half throttle. I reached as high as 8mph (under
sail alone) and at times struggled to maintain 2mph against a strong wind and tide.

The single lever, adjustable motor mount was not able to handle the added weight of a 4-stroke motor, swaying
badly during heavy seas. I jury rigged it several times during the trip and replaced it with a heavier model upon my
arrival home.

The old style wooden rudder on the Potter-19 was “less than efficient” to say the least. It is probably fine for day
trips, but many miles were lost due to its excessive drag: Later in the trip it failed completely and required extensive
repairs. It has since been replaced with a new composite rudder from IdaSailor.com.

In Conclusion:

I am sure that I have omitted many details that would benefit those who plan a similar trip, but this is my
recollection. A few days later I crossed the gulf-stream to reach the Bahamas, so the story is to be continued…….

John Depa [email protected]

Fortressanchormountedonbowrail-600x450.jpg

Sections of the ICW are nicknamed "The Ditch"

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I keep trying to get John to do a book on his travels , it would be a best seller if he did.

He has camped and paddled / sailed and hiked all over this planet. Jezee... He came down here did the glades run , both ways , then did the Lower St.Johns in the same canoe a 14 foot Mohawk. On that trip he camped , with his canoe , at a high ground and with a bunch of air boaters. The main guy was Chainsaw and John fit right in with those red necks and his ( Johns ) New Jersey accent, Hi Yous guys mind if I camp here? :oops: Down here it is ...Ya all mind if I pitch my tent fer a spell.

Leave it to John..... They made trips up to the main road and the store to resupply him in there air boats and furnished a feast for a couple of the days he was there with Pork done over an open fire. The pork was fresh , might say air boat caught. :roll:

Then he hits the south sea islands for a long look see and I think it was New Gunnie ( or somewhere in that area) where he ended up camping with Tom Hennessey for a spell , Yes they both were in the Hennessey Hammocks. :lol:

The list just goes on an on an on with his adventures and the folks he has meet along the way. As I said , Way to many to list. John does not just talk the talk , he walks the walk and if anything he is rather quiet about it. :D

Chuck

It's those quiet ones that know more and just do it .

OK... BACK TO JOHNS TRIP

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Johns Part # 2 of the trip and it is picture intense , lots of them. ...Chuck.
****************************************************************************************************************
"Jitterbug" (A West Wight Potter-19) Visits the Bahamas
Part-ll of a 6 month cruise
by
John Depa

At the conclusion of Part-I, Jitterbug had arrived at Ft Lauderdale, FL, on Christmas day after covering 1,540 miles
over 55 days. We docked at the City Marina for a reasonable rate and took advantage of the hot showers, Laundromat
and TV lounge. The marina is centrally located within easy walking distance of the world famous Las Olas Beach,
restaurants, shopping, a charter boat fishing fleet and the bus stop. It didn’t take long for me to learn the bus routes,
and @ $3.00 for an “all day pass” it is a real bargain. I visited the Modern Art museum, the River Walk area, library
and up-scale shopping malls. Ft Lauderdale is second only to Venice in the number of navigable water canals, so this
is a boater’s paradise. After almost 2 months of long days at Jitterbug’s helm, walks on the beach and through the city
streets were a welcome change. One could consider this a “final destination” by any standard. However, I had printed
a copy of “Cruising the Bahamas in a Potter 19”, by Bill Combs and wanted to make the crossing myself; weather
being the big factor. Northerly winds negate a crossing due to huge standing waves created in the north-flowing Gulf-
stream. In the absence of a favorable forecast, I would continue on to Key West, which is not a bad Plan-B!

After 4 (wonderful) days in Ft Lauderdale, we were blessed with a perfect weather forecast on Dec 29th: Westerly
winds at 5-10mph. It doesn’t get any better than that when your destination, West End, Grand Bahama Island, lies 80
miles to the ENE.

Jitterbug carried every USCG required piece of safety equipment, plus a VHF radio, GPS navigation, a SPOT unit and
cell phone. That being said, I am of the opinion that the #1 safety precaution is a captain’s willingness to remain in port
during borderline weather. I would not recommend making a trip such as this with a rigid schedule that might
necessitate sailing on questionable days: I was very conservative throughout the entire trip. I would like to have made
the crossing in the company of another boat, but couldn’t locate anyone.

A point of note: The distance from Lake Worth to West End is less, 65 miles “the way the crow flies”, but when you
factor in the 3-5mph current of the Gulf-stream it is sometimes a quicker passage if departing from a more southerly
port. Cargo and cruise ship traffic is heavy in this area.

Cruise ship
_1_-600x450.jpg

Based on Jitterbug’s average speed, I estimated a crossing time of 16hrs, so left the dock at 4pm in order to make
landfall after sunrise, but before the daytime winds picked up. When I reached the inlet, 3 cruise ships were just
departing Ft. Lauderdale, so I held back until they cleared the area. Once in open water we cut the motor, unfurled the
150 Genoa in a 10mph breeze and settled in for the long crossing. I did not set the main sail for two reasons: #1 – not
much is gained on a run unless one can sail wing-on-wing, which is difficult to do sailing solo at night; #2 – I had heard
some horror stories about the Gulf-stream and did not want to lower sail in rough seas, during the dark of night.

Ft. Lauderdale skyline
2FtLauderdale_2_-600x450.jpg

Jitterbug made good speed under sail until about 7pm when the wind slacked and by 9pm was a dead calm. I furled
the jib and continued under motor power. It’s an eerie feeling being that far out at sea, alone in such a small craft: no
skyline; no lights other than far off cruise ships; phosphorescence glowing in the motor’s prop wash; and jellyfish (by
the billions) everywhere. On two occasions cruise ships appeared to be headed on a collision course, but they both
passed far ahead: They travel much faster then you realize. I considered trolling a fishing line, but thought better of it.
What would I do with a huge Wahoo, or tuna, if I hooked it? Also, I was told repeatedly to spend as little time as
possible in the open Gulf, “A quick crossing is a safe crossing”. The night was so uneventful that my biggest fear was
falling asleep at the helm. Navigation, if you can call it that with a GPS unit, is simply a matter of watching the Heading
Line on the monitor. Jitterbug was motoring at 6mph and after some time I could actually navigate by the boat speed
alone: If it went up to 7mph, I knew we were being aided by the Gulf-stream current, so were heading too far north;
and if the speed dropped to 5mph the reverse was true. So, I spent the night drinking tea, eating the huge lunch I had
packed and just listening to the hum of the motor: A total Zen experience.

By 4am I could see island lights and by daybreak the GPS indicated we were only 12 miles out. At this point I was very
tired, so I ran for another hour until I could clearly see land, then shut down the engine and took a 2hr nap. I woke to
an easterly breeze and motored the remaining distance into Bahamas Bay Marina to clear customs: Arriving at 10:
00am, Dec 30, 2008. The GPS odometer recorded the crossing at 90 miles, which meant Jitterbug had followed a
reasonably accurate course line.

Customs and Immigration
3Customsandimmigration_3_-600x450.jpg

The procedure for entering a foreign port is to fly a yellow “quarantined” flag until clearing customs, and then to fly that
country’s courtesy flag for the remainder of the visit. I didn’t have a yellow flag, so I tied a yellow PFD to the mast (it
wasn’t really necessary) and cleared customs, which is a matter of completing a few simple forms and paying the $150
cruising fee ($300 for larger boats) which includes fishing license for up to 4 passengers. The customs officer looked
at Jitterbug and asked, “Did you come over here in that?” a phrase that I was to hear repeatedly over the next several
months. It got to the point where I entertained the idea of changing Jitterbug’s name to “That”: “Yes, I sailed over here
in That”. Once clear of customs, I hoisted the Bahamian courtesy flag, rented a slip and took a long walk around the
marina complex. The marina itself is plush, but the surrounding area impoverished, which is the case throughout most
of the islands. This being a holiday season, there were a number of sport-fishing boats and people were cleaning their
catch, mostly Wahoo. One motor-cruiser was just leaving for his return trip to Florida and gave me his copy of,
“Cruisers Guide to the Bahamas”, by Steve Dodge, which provided a wealth of useful information and detailed charts:
Consider it a “must have”.

The Bahamas are a chain of 2,000 islands extending some 800 miles to the southeast. My plan was to explore the
Abaco Island group, beginning at the northern end and slowly working southwest. Great Abaco Island is boomerang
shaped, running NE to SW then turning sharply south. It is surrounded by many smaller Cays, which form the
protected waters of the Sea of Abaco, a sailboat cruising dream world. We left West End Dec 31st and set a course
for Mangrove Cay, located 30 miles to the northeast. A brisk easterly breeze allowed us to sail the entire day, arriving
late in the afternoon. I was awed by the Azure blue water that turns crystal clear in the shallows. Much of the Bahama
Banks is very shallow, which forbids larger boats from access to many remote Cays (pronounced “Keys”) that were
easily accessible to Jitterbug: Chalk one up for the Potter. We anchored on the leeward side of Mangrove Cay on New
Year’s Eve. The wind shifted to the east during the night, and increased to15-20mph, so I was content to remain there
on New Year Day, fishing and snorkeling.

Clear water and white sandy beaches
4Clearwater_4_-600x450.jpg

As the saying goes, “There is plenty water in the Bahamas, mon, but some of it spread mighty thin”. I would estimate
that Jitterbug “bumped bottom” at least two dozen times during the trip. I say “bumped bottom” rather than “ran
aground” because she wasn’t aground after simply raising the keel a foot, or so. We often cut corners from the
recommended “magenta line” route indicated on the GPS, thus saving countless miles. To be honest, there were a
few occasions when we “bumped” hard enough to break the keel hold-down hasps from the trunk. There are 4 such
hasps, so I only employed 2 (diagonally) at any given time. They are secured to the keel trunk by very short screws
and a dab of 3M-4000 adhesive. By the end of the trip, the screw holes were rather enlarged, so I relocated the hasps
an inch off to one side: No harm done.

On Jan 2nd Jitterbug sailed another 35 miles NE to Grand Cay, where we had a conch fritter lunch at Rosie’s and took
a walking tour of the small village. Much of the Bahamas is still recovering from the last hurricane, and was suffering
from the effects of high fuel prices and the depressed US economy. Walker’s Cay, the famous fishing headquarters
just to the north, was hit hard by the hurricane and still remains closed to the public. With tourism down, the only
source of income on many of the outer islands is lobster/conch fishing. We left Grand Cay and sailed a few miles SW
to uninhabited Double Breasted Cay where I beached for 2 days of fishing, snorkeling and beach-combing: No rush
now, we are “there”.

Jitterbug beached
5Jitterbugbeached_5_-600x450.jpg

On the second day at Double Breasted Cay, a 21ft skiff with twin outboard motors landed at the far end of the beach
during high tide. One person, presumably the captain, stayed aboard while the two passengers walked a section of
beach. They didn’t stay long, leaving before the turn of the tide. Curious, I later walked up to that end of the beach and
saw the yacht they were living aboard. The 21ft skiff was apparently their “dinghy” and I suppose the chopper was
used for beverage runs. Regrettably, I was not invited aboard.

My new neighbor
6Mynewneighbor_6_-600x450.jpg

On Jan 4th we sailed SW, stopping for a brief walk on Rhoda Cay before going on to spend the night anchored off
uninhabited Stranger’s Cay; a total of 14 miles for the day. I noted that the battery was running low, so next day I
trolled with the motor for several hours, catching 3 barracuda and a yellowtail snapper (for dinner). We also landed on
uninhabited Fish Cay to get a closer look at a large metal object on the beach, which turned out to be a huge bell
buoy. From there our course went by Carter’s Cay, where a dozen local lobster skiffs were moored, and on to Moraine
Cay to anchor for the night.

Bell buoy washed ashore
7Bellbuoywashedashore_7_-600x450.jpg

The next morning I motor-sailed across the Sea of Abaco (more like a bay) to Fox Town in order to re-fill water jugs
and have lunch at the local bar. I was the only tourist, but the conch sandwich tasted good after eating Lipton’s Side
Dishes (rice and noodles) aboard Jitterbug for 4 days. After lunch I took a short stroll through the village, which is
slowly being rebuilt, and was somewhat depressed by the amount of garbage littering the streets and shoreline.
Leaving there, we set a course for uninhabited Allans-Pensacola Cay, with its protected anchorage, to spend the
night. I beached Jitterbug in the morning to take a long walk, following a trail leading to an abandoned US missile site,
then continued on to the far (ocean) side of the Cay where there are numerous flotsam sculptures located along the
beach. Former cruisers had gone to a great deal of effort to record their boat name, and date of visit, upon bits of drift-
wood and other debris found along the beach; it was quite impressive. Jitterbug is now “on record” as having visited
the island.

Flotsam sculpture
8Flotsamsculpture_8_-600x450.jpg

By late morning we hoisted anchor for the 12 mile SW run to Spanish Cay. While in route, west winds increased to 20-
25mph and we had a rough ride before reaching the marina, which is only marginally protected from that direction.
Spanish Cay Marina has 81 boat slips, only two of which were occupied by sailing cruisers. They both departed early
in the morning, leaving me the only transient boat guest, which is indicative of the slump in tourism. But that did not
deter me from enjoying the luxury of this beautiful resort. I alternated between soaking in the hot tub, relaxing on a
lounge chair, swimming in the pool and taking long walks on the beach. I also caught up on laundry and used shore
power to charge the battery (the only time during the entire trip). The restaurant was closed, but a small general store
satisfied grocery needs with fresh meat, cheese, bread and eggs, all to be consumed over a short time period since
Jitterbug has no refrigeration. West winds continued gusty most of the night, and I left the bouncing boat for a few
hours to sleep on a lounge chair.

Spanish Cay docks
9SpanishCaydocks_9_-600x450.jpg

By noon, Jan 8th, the winds had calmed to the point where I felt safe sailing (jib only) the 4 miles to uninhabited Powell
Cay. I trolled a Clark spoon and caught 2 jacks; one for dinner. Once again beached Jitterbug for a long, long walk
around half the island, locating another flotsam sculpture (litter tree) on the ocean side. Next day we sailed over to
Cooperstown and tied at the Shell gas dock. Every settlement has a Government (public) Dock for day use by small
craft, ferries and cargo boats to unload. Big cruisers naturally use their dinghy, but the Potter is small enough to make
the “cut” and I docked in every harbor without incident. The only requirement/courtesy is that one tie up using a
Bahamian moor – stern anchor out with bow to the dock – so as not to occupy excessive space. By the end of the
cruise, I had become quite adept at judging the distance to cut the motor, drop the stern anchor and glide to within
inches of the dock. The streets of Cooper’s Town were empty, perhaps most of the population was out lobster fishing?
I bought an ice cream and took a short walk around the back streets, chatting with several friendly locals. Lobster and
conch fishing are still the primary source of income. Lobster fishing is done by traps in deep water, while in shallow
water the fisherman hunts the bottom breathing through an air hose connected to a compressor aboard the boat.
Needless to say, this is a two-man operation. Conch fishing is done in a similar manner. There may be a problem with
crime in the larger cities, but I never once felt threatened during my 7 week stay in the Abacos, nor did I hear of any
incidents from fellow cruisers. On the contrary, the Bahamian people, black and white, go out of their way to welcome
cruisers. In fact, one island posts a sign that reads, “TRESPASSERS WELCOME”.

Cooper’s Town
10Cooper_sTown_10_-600x450.jpg

Manjack Cay, the next anchorage, is somewhat of a gathering place for cruisers. There are safe anchorages on either
side and crews often meet ashore for beach parties that do not require much of an excuse. The bonfire party I
attended was in celebration of an (almost) full moon, which easily qualified as a reason to revel late into the night! I
remained beached there for 2 days, befriending several cruisers who I met repeatedly in the weeks to come. This was
a perfect opportunity to lower Jitterbug’s mast and fill it with spray foam in an attempt to stop the incessant clanging of
the anchor light wires. Although cautioned not to do so, I just couldn’t take that noise any longer and went ahead with
the project. Much to my delight, the noise was stopped and sleeping much improved for both me and those moored
nearby.

Jitterbug beached for mast repair
11Beachedforrepairs_11_-600x450.jpg

Jan 12th found the Sea of Abaco becalmed, so we trolled 5 miles to famous Green Turtle Cay, which is a
predominantly white settlement founded in the 17th century by British loyalists after the American Revolution. The
island town, New Plymouth, has 5 restaurants, 2 well stocked grocery stores, several bars, a hardware store and a
library with Internet access. Since I did not carry a lap-top computer (still undecided about that option) I was able to
catch up on email for the first time in weeks. I anchored in nearby White Sound and visited town daily, tying to the
government dock. There are also two resorts, Bluff House and Green Turtle, with upscale restaurants. I was able to fill
water jugs (@.25 cents a gal.) and take hot showers ($2.00) at Bluff House before they closed for lack of businesss. I
spent a total of 5 days visiting this quaint island settlement, enjoying fresh seafood meals, renting a bicycle and
rubbing elbows with the locals.

New Plymouth, Green Turtle Cay
12NewPlymouth_GreenTurtleCay_12_-600x450.jpg

We had been plagued by a cold front with associated gusty winds for 3-4 days. Finally there was a brief let-up on Jan
19th so I used the opportunity to sail 15 miles to Treasure Cay, which is a Ft. Lauderdale type planned community,
with most homes situated on dredged lagoons. There is also a marina, pool, beach bar, small shopping complex and
golf course. Cruisers can pay $10 per day to anchor in the harbor and have access to all shore-side facilities, or pay
$1.30 per ft. for a slip rental. Since the harbor was still a bit choppy, I paid for a dockside slip and stayed 3 days,
during which time I rented a bicycle, took long beach walks, tried bone-fishing on the flats and just lounged by the
pool: Not a bad way to wait out foul weather.

Treasure Cay Marina
13TreasureCayMarina_13_-600x450.jpg

Treasure Cay pool
14TreasureCaypool_14_-600x450.jpg

Next stop was Great Guana Cay, home of world famous Nipper’s Bar and a beautiful beach with coral reefs for
snorkeling. We anchored in the islands lee for 2 days and made daily visits ashore by tying to Nipper’s courtesy dock.
From there I motored down to Man-O-War Cay for one day, then back up to Great Guana for the Sunday Pig Roast at
Nipper’s, which is very well attended by cruisers. I got there early, paid $20 for a plate and enjoyed the delicious
entrees all afternoon while rubbing elbows with the big boys. By this time, most cruisers knew me, or about me, from
previous meetings or by way of introduction over the VHF “Cruiser’s Net”, which is a one-hour broadcast each
morning hosted by a number of locals and visiting yachts. It includes an all important weather forecast, sea conditions
through-out the Sea of Abaco, and items of local interest, including an introduction by newly arriving boats: So
Jitterbug was well known.

Nipper’s Bar
15Nipper_sBar_15_-600x450.jpg

On Monday, Jan 26th I sailed over to Marsh Harbor, which is the capital of the main island, Abaco, and also the 3rd
largest city in the Bahamas. Every cruiser eventually stops here, if for no other reason than to shop for items not
available on the smaller out-islands. There are half dozen marinas in the large harbor. I rented a slip at Mango’s
($31.50 per day), which is within easy walking distance of central town. Marsh Harbor is an emerging city and not very
well planned, with sprawling strip malls scattered amongst older buildings, some of which are already vacant. The
streets are badly in need of repair and “trashy”. I was told not to stray too far a field, into what is known as the “mud
city” section of town, even during daylight hours. I did have several decent meals and hired the services of a local
guide to fish the sand flats in pursuit of bone fish. We spotted a number of fish, but my fly casting skills leave
something to be desired so I never did get a strike: Gives me a reason to return, right!

Mango’s Marina, Marsh Harbor
16Mango_sMarina_MarshHarbor_16_-600x450.jpg

On Jan 28th we sailed up to picturesque Hope Town and anchored just outside the harbor: Spent 2 days walking the
narrow streets and then riding a bicycle to several beaches. On Jan 30th a gale warning was issued, so I returned to
Marsh Harbor to ride out the storm. I tied at Mango’s Marina for 2 days but it was located on the windward side of the
harbor, so I left there and simply anchored close to the far lee shore for 5 more days. Finally, on Feb 6th we were able
to sail back to Hope Town for yet another pig roast.

Hope Town harbor
17HopeTownharbor_17_-600x450.jpg

Next stop was the unique settlement of Little Harbor, located 15 miles due south of Hope Town. The settlement was
established in the 1950’s as an art colony and still boasts a rather unique art gallery comprised mostly of bronze
sculpture. Mooring balls are available from Pete’s Pub ($10) which includes use of their dock for landing ashore.
There is a short hiking trail to an abandoned lighthouse with a spectacular ocean view.

Little Harbor Art Gallery
18LittleHarborArtGallery_18_-600x450.jpg

This is the last harbor before making a 40 mile run, on the open Atlantic, due south to “Hole in the Wall”, a lighthouse
located on the southern tip of Abaco Island. At this location, we are probably 200 miles east of the Florida coast. I had
decided to visit the Berry Islands for a few days/weeks then make my way to Bimini and from there back to Ft
Lauderdale. To do this, I needed to make the run south in order to clear the lower end of Abaco Island. The “Cruiser’s
Net” was barely audible on the VHF radio, but I did make out a weather report for NE winds at 10-15, then increasing
the following day as yet another cold front was predicted. Not an ideal forecast (I would have preferred a westerly
wind), but with nothing brighter on the horizon I decided it was a “go”: A run is always better than a beat.

We left the mooring ball at daybreak to negotiate a small series of breakers spanning the inlet. By 8am Jitterbug had
clear sailing, under jib and motor, for the long downwind run. The predicted 10-15mph winds had created an off-shore
swell of 4-6’ – nothing to be concerned with. By noon, however, the winds had increased and the swells grew to 6-8’
and began to crest. The jib was half furled and the motor running just above idle speed, yet Jitterbug began to
dangerously surf down the backside of the swells. I was able to maintain control (with difficulty) until about 2pm when
we made a serious broach. The bow submerged into the wave ahead, causing a sharp yaw which put our starboard
rail under, and we took on perhaps 15-20 gallons of water before recovering. Oh how I wished for a larger cockpit
drain! Needless to say, I was badly shaken. We were about 2 miles off an uninhabited, rocky Atlantic coast, no other
boats in sight, still 10 miles from protected waters, and no land-based habitation within VHF radio hailing distance.
With no other options, I cut the motor and continued under furled jib alone, which seemed to reduce the backside
surfing a just bit. Jitterbug still took water over the transom a few times, but only a few gallons in the cockpit. At 3pm I
was relieved to see a large cruise ship headed down the channel; now at least I could radio an SOS in the event of a
swamping. By 4pm Jitterbug had passed “Hole in the Wall” and we safely rounded the point to the leeward side of the
island. I breathed a DEEP sigh of relief and all but collapsed from exhaustion. After dropping anchor, I bailed out the
cabin and went to sleep shortly after dinner. The GPS trip odometer had registered 43 miles for the day.

Atlantic Ocean in moderate seas
19AtlanticOceaninmoderateseas_19_-600x450.jpg

Next morning, Feb 9th, the predicted cold front came through, resulting in gusty north winds; but I was now on the
leeward side of the island and hugged the shoreline while slowly trolling NE. The water here reaches a depth of 3,000
ft just a short distance from shore, and I could see large ships plying the channel. After 17 miles I rounded Rocky Point
to enter the safety of Sandy Point Harbor, a small fishing village located on the shores of a shallow cove. I tied to the
government dock and walked both of the streets that defined town, locating a small grocery store that sold ice cream.
The few people I met were very friendly, one even loaned me his bicycle which I took for a long ride to “nowhere”
before turning back. A ferry transported workers to nearby Gorda Cay, which was renamed “Castaway Island” after
the Disney Corporation turned it into a private resort for exclusive use by its cruise ships. It was a pleasant day and I
spent the night anchored just off the beach.

Sandy Point settlement
20SandyPointSettlement_20_-600x450.jpg

The gusty NE winds continued, so I was content to remain in this sheltered area for several more days. The Berry
Islands lay 33 miles due east, and I was not about to make an open water crossing of that distance in questionable
weather. So, I spent the days beach combing, chatting with the locals and fishing close to shore. I caught a number of
yellow-tail snappers, keeping one for dinner and giving the remainder to a local lady: She was very appreciative of the
gift. On the day before I left, a small fishing boat pulled alongside and gifted me 2 live lobsters: Apparently Jitterbug
was well liked by the local population.

Live spiny lobsters
21Livespinylobsters_21_-600x450.jpg

On Feb 12th, the winds had abated to a point where I felt safe making the crossing to Great Stirrup Cay, the northern
most of the Berry Islands. It was an uneventful crossing made in 7hrs under full sail; GPS odometer recorded it at 35
miles. Upon arrival, I was disappointed to learn that Norwegian Sky Cruise Line had purchased the island. Their huge
ship was anchored just off-shore and the area alive with jet skis and para-sail boats: Not what I had in mind!! I hailed
the captain of the liner, over VHF radio, and he told me in no uncertain terms that I was not permitted to go ashore. He
also informed me that the next island, Little Stirrup Cay was now owned by Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and was
also off-limits. So I anchored far enough offshore so as not to interfere with their activities.

Next day I slowly sailed/trolled 13 miles south to Great Harbor Cay. The entrance to the marina is on the back
(shallow) side of the island and is accessed through a dredged canal. Once inside, it is a well protected maze of boat
slips, private homes, condos and a marina. Once again, tourism was way down and most slips remained vacant. I filled
water jugs (@.35gal), had a hot shower “on the house” and took a leisurely stroll through town to a nearby store for
groceries. Anchorage for the night was in a nearby protected cove.

Entrance to Great Harbor
22EntrancetoGreatharbor_22_-600x450.jpg

On Sat, Feb 14th, I spent the day drifting sand flats in search of bonefish (no luck) and then casting for other species.
My efforts were rewarded with a mixed bag of barracuda, mutton snapper, blue racers and yellow-tail snappers: Kept
one snapper for dinner and released the rest. In late afternoon I beached Jitterbug on Solder Cay and took a long walk
around the entire island before retiring for the night. How versatile is the Potter-19!?!?

Beached for the night
23Beachedforthenight_23_-600x450.jpg

Sunday morning was spent fishing before I sailed into Little Harbor to dock for lunch. I learned that two additional
islands were now privately owned (perhaps by movie stars?) which limited future options. The bar was crowded with a
dozen yuppie tourists who had chartered 3 cigarette-type power boats to ferry them 50 miles from Nassau. After lunch,
they left in a cloud of sea-spray and were out of sight before I could launch Jitterbug for the short sail to Bond’s Cay
for the night anchorage.

Little Harbor bar and restaurant
24LittleHarborbarandrestaurant_24_-600x450.jpg

Monday morning found Jitterbug motor-trolling to Chub Cay, the most southerly of the Berry Islands and location of an
upscale village. Just before arriving at the marina I caught a 5 lb mutton snapper, which I later traded for a hot shower
at Chub Cay Marina. The marina was in bankruptcy proceedings and virtually vacant. They wanted $3.00 per ft for a
slip rental, with a 30 ft minimum ($90.00 for little Jitterbug); no wonder the marina was vacant! I filled the water jugs
and left there to anchor a short distance up the beach.

Next leg of the voyage was a 90 mile open water crossing to reach North Bimini, in route back to Florida. I returned to
Chub Cay Marina for an updated weather forecast and was told that now was the time to make the crossing, with
westerly winds of 10-15mph before an approaching cold front was predicted to stall over the area for the next several
days. So at 10:30am Jitterbug set sail for the long crossing. During the first 15-20 miles, while in the deep water
channel, ground swells where considerable, perhaps 5-6ft; but once we reached the Great Bahama Bank with its
shallow 7ft depth, the swells diminished and we sailed through the night, under jib alone, until reaching North Bimini at
3am the following morning. I rounded the point at North Rocks, anchored tight to the beach and crashed for a few
hours sleep. GPS trip odometer recorded 92 miles, which is a long, long night at the tiller.

I woke late morning and motored down to South Bimini to rent a boat slip at the Sands Marina, a new complex that had
been highly recommended by several cruisers familiar with the area: And I was not disappointed. The marina sported
concrete floating docks, a pool, tennis courts, restaurant, ships store and lounge; with dockage at $1.10 per ft (but
with a 30ft minimum = $33). It was fortunate that I made the crossing when I did, because the expected cold front soon
arrived, bringing strong winds over the next 4 days.

Sands Marina, South Bimini
25SandsMarina_SouthBimini_25_-600x450.jpg

The Bimini Islands are not a terrible place to wait out a cold front. In addition to the marina amenities, South Bimini
also had several other restaurants, stores a nature trail and its own Fountain of Youth. I befriended another solo sailor
and we made the rounds together. The one mile Nature Trail is part of the marina complex, very well maintained and
includes several live snake displays. Also of interest is a shark research center located on the other side of the island.
One of the volunteer workers gave a very informative talk on the research being done with lemon sharks, which
included a visit to the shark pen, located on the sand flats. And of course it’s nice to just relax by the pool.

Swimming pool at Sands Marina
26SwimmingpoolatSandsMarina_26_-600x450.jpg

The $2 ferry boat to North Bimini is within easy walking distance, and we made several trips over to that island. One
attraction for me was the Internet service offered by BATELCO, the Bahamian telephone company. It was my first
chance to do email since being on Green Turtle Cay, - weeks ago. North Bimini is noted as a sport fishing capital, but
even this island was hit hard by the American recession; two marinas had completely shut down and the others were
sparsely occupied. Very few tourists walked the streets of Alice Town, but it was interesting to peruse the local shops
and buy an obligatory T-shirt. We also had a great seafood dinner at The Anchorage restaurant.

Alice Town, North Bimini
27AliceTown_NorthBimini_27_-600x450.jpg

Five days after my arrival at South Bimini we got a window of opportunity in the weather to permit the 60 mile crossing
back to Ft Lauderdale; an ESE wind at 5-10mph. This time I would make the Gulf-stream crossing in the company on
another boat, Dan’s 30’ Allison sloop, “Strider”. We left South Bimini at dusk, under jib and motor, and had a perfect
textbook crossing, reaching the inlet on Sunday, Feb 22nd, at 10am and were docked back at Ft Lauderdale City
Marina by noon. The Bahamas leg of the trip had spanned 55 days (almost 8 weeks) during which time the GPS
logged an additional 747 miles. This increased the total trip time to 3 months – 3 weeks and mileage to 2,287. For me,
this was truly the trip of a lifetime. As the saying goes, “It’s better in the Bahamas”.

Welcome Home!!! Ft Lauderdale inlet
28WelcomeHome_FtLauderdaleinlet_28_-600x450.jpg

But, we are still a long way from our home port in New Jersey. To be continued……

John Depa
[email protected]

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Thanks, Chuck! Might fine readin'. 8)

Mike

( Chuck here... That was the half way part , there should be more coming )

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jitterbug (WWP-19) Sails Home!
Part-lll of a Six Month Cruise
by
John Depa

After 7 weeks in the Bahamas, Jitterbug was safely docked at Ft Lauderdale City Marina. We took a much
needed 2 day rest, re-stocking provisions and acclimating to the hustle & bustle of Florida life during the
tourist season. One major purchase was a Dahon – “Curve” 3-speed, 16” wheel, folding bicycle. This is the
only bike I could find that folds small enough to (barely) fit inside Jitterbug’s aft sleeping bunk. It cost more
than my first automobile but proved to be money well spent, greatly enhancing my experience at every port. I
would consider it a must have for future trips.

Dahon - Curve 16” bicycle
Dahon-Curve_1_-600x450.jpg

The plan (as it were) was to sail south to Key West, then across Florida Bay to Flamingo (which is the
southern end of Everglades National Park); travel through the Everglades to Marco Island/Naples area and
up the west coast to Ft Myers where we would pick up the Okeechobee Waterway, which connects the east
and west coasts of Florida. At that point I would make a decision whether continue sailing north, to our home
port in New Jersey, or fly home and return with a trailer for Jitterbug. This is a very nice option available to
Potter owners.

We left Ft Lauderdale on Feb 24th and leisurely motor-sailed 18 miles down the ICW to anchor in a well
protected cove at Oleta State Park, which is near Haulover Inlet. Since there is a public beach just across
the channel, we stayed an extra day to take in the sights. From there, we continued south to Miami Marina to
spend an afternoon in the big city. Dockage was $14 for 3 hrs, but well worth the expense. The marina
waterfront is a huge complex of stores and restaurants, and is within walking distance of center city and
Miami College Campus. I took advantage of the free mono-rail system to see the entire city before walking
through the downtown shopping district. I returned to the marina in time to continue south to an anchorage
off Key Biscayne, at Hurricane Hole (along with 20 other cruisers). GPS odometer recorded 20 miles for the
day.

Welcome to Miami
WelcometoMiami_2_-600x450.jpg

At this point the bay opens up enough to permit better sailing and the following day we covered 26 miles to
Elliot Key, at Biscayne National Park. There is camping and over night dockage available for a modest fee,
but it was a Friday with lots of small power boats arriving, and I had a feeling that this might be a “party time”
location; so I left there to anchor out of earshot range. On the morning of Feb 28th we caught a favorable
breeze to sail 29 miles to Key Largo, where we again anchored tight to the beach. I did not go ashore,
instead hoisting anchor early to begin travel. We sailed 17 miles to Plantation Key, when the wind really
picked up, so I motored into a sheltered creek and tied the bow to a mangrove tree, and dropped a stern
anchor. That night several power boats arrived, and with lights on the water they began to dip-net shrimp, by
the hundreds, as the shrimp drifted by in the tidal current. They stayed until after midnight when the tide
slackened. Next morning the wind was still howling, so I was content to spend another day in the protective
mangroves. A few mangrove snapper that I caught provided diversion and a fresh fish dinner; one of many
such meals to be enjoyed on this trip.

Fresh fish dinner
Freshfishdinner_3_-600x450.jpg

Next morning, Mar 3rd, the winds abated and we got under way early to sail a credible 47 miles to Marathon
Key. We passed under the bridge to the ocean side and dropped anchor just at dusk near Molasses Key.
From this point south, to Key West, passage is on the Atlantic side down Hawk Channel, which is only
partially protected by a submerged reef: One hopes the winds are not easterly. There are a few places
where a small craft like the Potter could sneak into for shelter, but I took advantage of a very favorable
breeze the next day and sailed the remaining 52 miles to round Key West point and anchor on the leeward
side, near Wisteria Island, amid dozens of other sailing cruisers.

Next morning I called several of the marinas located in Key West Bight, which is the heart of the city. I am
told that during normal seasons it is impossible to get a boat slip without “knowing someone” but due to the
economic slump, limited dockage was available at every marina I inquired. Prices for Jitterbug ranged from
$88 to $122 per night, $$WOW $$. We rented the $88 slip for 3 nights at Key West Marina, which is located
right at the waterfront complex. In fact, when I exited the boat I was only 4-5 steps away from the main
sidewalk. Seeing Jitterbug’s NJ boat registration, a few captains of larger boats smugly inquired, “You didn’t
sail all the way here in ‘That’, did you?” So in defense of the Potter I would just as smugly reply, “No, not
directly, we stopped off in the Bahamas for a few months before coming here.”

Key West Marina
KeyWestMarina_4_-600x450.jpg

Key West has a tradition of being an open town, very liberal in their outlook on life. They have a “no
questions asked” policy, and most people were simply known by their first name followed by, “from up north”.
Many residents became rich as smugglers during the prohibition era: And of course the Duval Street bar
scene was made famous by colorful characters like Earnest “Papa” Hemingway. That being said, street
crime is at a minimum.

First thing I did after docking was to unfold the bike and take advantage of the numerous riding trails. One
trail goes completely around the city, following the ocean coast for a few miles, with noted landmarks along
the way. It is 5-7 miles, depending on exact street choices. I peddled this several times, making stops at
various beach locations and garden centers. At 7pm a crowd starts to gather at Mallory Square for the
“sunset festivities”. Many artists/musicians make their living by performing in the square for tips: It’s quite a
spectacle!

Mallory Square performer
PerformerinMallorySquare_5_-600x450.jpg

The night scene begins just after dark and continues until…..? There is no problem finding a theme bar of
your choosing, from drag queens to bull riding and everything in between. And they all boast of serving “The
Biggest Margarita in Key West” and have colorful names like “The Bull”, “Big Uns”, “Dirty Harry’s” and
Hemingway’s haunt, “Sloppy Joe’s Bar”.

Sunset at Key West
SunsetatKeyWest_6_-600x450.jpg

One of the attractions is a 70 mile cruise to Fort Jefferson, on the Dry Tortuga's. It is a Monmouth structure of
red brick built at great expense both monetarily and in human sacrifice. I thought about sailing Jitterbug down
there, but decided against it and instead booked passage on the “Yankee Freedom”, a 100’ catamaran that
made the trip in 2hrs. The cost was $165 which included a buffet breakfast, lunch, snacks, admission fees,
guided tour and snorkel gear. The tour guides were excellent, food plentiful and the boat well maintained.
About 25 miles out of Key West we passed a group of islands known as the Marquesas, described as the
only atoll in the Atlantic Ocean. Since there are no volcanoes in the Atlantic, it is speculated that the lagoon
was created by a large meteor striking the island. One of our tour guides had run bare-foot charters down
there for a number of years and she suggested that it would be a great experience for Jitterbug. She also
hinted that fishing was excellent in that area. Mention “excellent fishing” to me and I am there! Thus Plan-D
(or was it Plan-E?) was born.

Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortuga's
FortJefferson_DryTortugas_7_-600x450.jpg

Back at Key West, I spent the next day visiting local attractions and provisioning for the side trip. One of the
items purchased was a heavier fishing rod, one capable of handling small shark and king mackerel. On Mar
8th we set sail for the Marquesas in a near perfect breeze that allowed trolling much of the time. We caught 3
blues, a yellow snapper and had 3 other fish break off. Dolphin played at the bow for some time and we
spotted 2 large (green?) turtles basking in the sun: A very pleasant 26 mile run. The NE side of the island is
surrounded by shallows, so I raised the keel to drift-cast the flats in 18” of water. As I neared the island a few
VERY LARGE fish spooked in a cloud of mud. They became more numerous and appeared to be nurse
sharks, mostly in the 6-10 ft range. (I was later told that they may have been lemon sharks?) This was
probably a spawning area. I eventually made it through the flats to anchor in the central lagoon: A memorable
day, indeed.

Marquesas sand flats
Marquesassandflats_8_-600x450.jpg

Next morning I followed a small fishing boat through the lagoon to exit on the western side of the atoll. It is
much deeper on that side and several sailboats were anchored just off shore. I motor trolled in the direction
of a submerged reef, catching 2 Spanish mackerel (one for dinner) a few snapper and a large king mackerel.
Upon returning to the atoll, the white sandy beach was irresistible, so I landed Jitterbug and took a long walk
around half the island. This is a beach-combers paradise; beautiful shells, lobster pots, net floats, man-o-war
jellyfish, driftwood and other assorted flotsam. But the find of the day was a shipwrecked Cuban escape
boat. There was a similar boat on the Dry Tortuga's that was explained in detail. Our US immigration law has
a “wet foot – dry foot” policy towards Cubans. If they are intercepted at sea, they are returned to Cuba.
However, once they set foot on American soil they are considered US citizens. Since the Marquesas are part
of the USA, are close to Cuba and are not heavily patrolled by the Coast Guard, they are a natural
destination for refugees. These makeshift boats are secretly hand crafted from large copper sheets (which
must be available in Cuba?), meticulously welded together and fitted with a small inboard engine. No frills,
this is a one-trip boat. A 21 ft craft like the one I located would probably hold 20-25 refugees. I assume this
group made it, because the boat surely would have sunk off-shore. Jitterbug anchored just off the beach for
the night.

Cuban refugee boat
Cubanrefugeeboat_9_-600x450.jpg

Next morning I fished from the boat with small pieces of cut bait and caught 8 small (spot like) fish perhaps 6”
long. I kept them alive in a mesh bag to use for bait out on the ocean reef. Once over the reef, I baited the
hook 4 feet below a float and began a slow drift. It didn’t take long to get the first strike, which was a decent
size (5-6 ft) spinner shark. The fish made high, spectacular leaps, spinning in the air before crashing back
into the sea. After 3 such leaps it changed strategy and dove straight for the bottom where the line was cut
by the sharp coral reef: But what a thrill!! This same scenario was repeated 2 more times, after which I was
so tired that I released the rest of the bait fish and returned to shore for another walk on the desolate beach.
It was low tide and the entrance to the lagoon very shallow, allowing me to see fish actively feeding in the
rips. So I walked back to the boat (perhaps a half mile) for a spinning rod and several small lures. After a few
casts I hooked a nice 3ft barracuda, which was released after a long battle; then subsequently hooked a
second one that broke the line. That was enough fishing for one day, so I returned to Jitterbug and spent the
night double anchored just 10 feet from shore.

Desolate beach
Desolatebeach_10_-600x450.jpg

On the morning of Mar 12th the weather forecast predicted a strong cold front approaching the area, one that
would linger for 3-4 days. So I was faced with the decision of hiding out in the atoll lagoon for the duration, or
making it back to Key West before the front arrived. I decided to beat it back to Key West; and it turned out to
be a real “beat” against gusty winds for the last 10 miles; it took 9 hours to make the 33 mile trip. This time I
sailed further around the key to Garrison Bight Marina, which is closer to our next destination and dockage is
less than half the cost. This side of the key is near the fleet of charter fishing boats, larger shopping malls
and still only a 10 minute bike ride to the Duval Street action. One nice feature is the new concrete floating
docks, which make it much easier to enter/exit a small boat. I remained here waiting for the cold front to pass.

Garrison Bight Marina, Key West )
GarrisonBightMarina_KeyWest_11_-600x450.jpg

By late afternoon on Mar 15th the winds had settled enough to begin the long crossing of Florida Bay, a
distance of some 70 miles via a dog-leg route. We didn’t set sail until 1:30 PM but were able to make good
time, under full sail, for 27 miles to Sawyer Key where we spent the night. Next day was a sailor’s dream
come true; 10-15mph winds off the starboard side enabling a broad reach for the entire 43 mile crossing to
Middle Cape, in Everglades National Park (ENP). Jitterbug actually hit 8mph (very briefly) on the GPS a few
times and we had dolphins for company most of the way. Once in the lee of Middle Cape, I landed for a
leisurely stroll up this beautiful beach before anchoring for the night: Mine were the only footprints below the
high tide line.

I had paddled and sailed the ENP numerous times, on occasion with guys from http://www.southernpaddler.com,
so am familiar with the terrain. It is a wilderness area that spans 100 miles between civilization points; at the
west end is Everglades City and the eastern end Flamingo. There are two primary routes, the outer Gulf
route and the interior Wilderness Trail route, which is a maze of mangrove islands, small bays and twisting
waterways: But of course you can zig-zag back and forth. Campers must obtain a permit at one of the ranger
stations and are assigned a campsite for each night in the Park. Camping on the Gulf side is on the various
beaches/capes, which extend for miles & miles, while interior camping is on a wooden platform called a
Chickee. Each campsite, or Chickee, has an out-house toilet: These are maintained by the “honey boat”
which makes scheduled pump-out stops. Camping is limited to 15 days, so if you intend to paddle both ways
(about 250 miles round trip) you must do so in the allotted time. I did it once, in a 14’ canoe, but felt too
rushed to fully enjoy the experience. I was looking forward to spending leisure time here with the Potter.

Typical camping Chickee
Typicalcampingchickee_12_-600x450.jpg

After such a great sail the previous day, I decided to press my luck and sail to Flamingo (in the opposite
direction of my intended route) for a pleasure cruise. I had not been there in years and wanted to witness the
devastation caused by the latest hurricane; the small convenience store had just recently opened for
business after being rebuilt. Under gentle breezes we made the 17 miles in 5 hours, arriving just in time for
lunch, followed by a 1/2 hr “Nature Talk” given by one of the park rangers. The motel and restaurant
complex was razed, and is not scheduled to be rebuilt. We left there in late afternoon and only sailed back 13
miles to anchor off East Cape, just shy of where we spent the previous night. So, it was a 30 mile “sail to
nowhere” that ended in a net loss of 4 miles for the day: My kind of travel schedule!

Mar 18th was another day of beach combing, this time on NW Cape. Early on I mentioned purchasing an
inflatable kayak. It is an Airis-10, made by Walker Bay that incorporates a new carbon-fiber technology
allowing it to be inflated to a high PSI, which makes it very rigid. It had been stored in the starboard sleeping
berth for the past 4 ½ months. The Potter is so versatile that I never had occasion to use the kayak, but did
use it here to gain access to some of the shallow beaches and to explore/fish deep into the tangled maze of
mangroves. I must say that it performed very well, its stability an asset to exit/enter the boat, and it was easily
inflated/deflated aboard Jitterbug. An open water test paddle/fishing trip produced several nice sea trout, one
of which made it to the frying pan for dinner. Later that evening schools of tarpon moved into the area,
putting on a spectacular aerial show at dusk, and then again at dawn.

Airis-10 inflatable kayak
Airis-10inflatablekayak_13_-600x450.jpg

After 5 days of light winds and sunshine the weather radio forecasted yet another approaching cold front, so
we moved 12 miles further west, into the protected Shark River area. The river mouth at Ponce de Leon Bay
provides a deep anchorage for larger sailboats crossing over from Key West, but Jitterbug was able to move
further up river. We spent a total of 5 days in this area, moving up to Tarpon Bay for one night and back out
to Ponce de Leon Bay when the wind calmed.

One morning the fish-hook style anchor I was using off the stern got snagged in some mangrove roots, and
the only recourse was a dive to the bottom. I finally freed it on the third attempt, followed by a quick rinse with
fresh water. The tarpon increased their spawning activity, rolling and leaping. I spent one entire day paddling
the kayak deep (5-7 miles) up an ever narrowing creek to the point where it was not much wider than the
kayak: Spawning(?) tarpon (perhaps 50 lbs) where in such shallow water that they rocked the kayak in
passing. This was also a great opportunity to catch mangrove snapper on light spinning tackle. Days spent
like this are long remembered.

Deep in the mangroves
Deepinthemangroves_14_-600x450.jpg

The wind died down, so we moved back out to open waters where I attempted to hook a tarpon using the live
bait fish method. Unfortunately, the local sharks were hungrier than the tarpon and it took a 15-minute battle
to get a black tip shark close enough to the boat to cut the leader for a release. Another live bait had the
same result, but this shark managed to wrap around the keel for some time before I was able to free it; once
again cutting the leader for a release. Almost out of large hooks and leader material, I abandoned that
strategy of tarpon fishing.

Black fin shark
Blacktipshark_15_-600x450.jpg

On Monday, Mar 23rd, I was running low on fresh water and decided to move on. Since the tide was out-
going, I elected to drift-cast a large popping plug in a final effort to catch a tarpon: And this time my efforts
were rewarded. I saw the fish stalking the bait, with its fin slicing through the early morning calm water. Then
it hit the lure with an explosive strike and made a short run followed by a spectacular leap; it then proceeded
to strip line from the large spinning reel. I tightened the drag a bit and the big fish made another acrobatic
leap, splashing back into the water and followed with another long run. By this time the reel was almost
spooled (empty of line) when the tarpon made a third jump that resulted in the line breaking. The entire battle
lasted less than 2 minutes, but was a 2 minute peak experience that I will never forget. I would estimate the
fish at 50-60lbs, which is not large for a tarpon. My theory (excuse) is that the line was weakened from the
long shark battles the previous day. I shall return.

I didn’t even bother to re-tie the fishing line, but instead hoisted sail for the 25 mile run to New Turkey Key,
which we made in 7 hrs. Once anchored in the deep, protected cove, I paddled the kayak to the beach for a
leg stretch: It had been 5 days since I set foot on dry land. When I had reached the half-way point of this
small key, a solo kayaker beached to set up his camp for the night. We chatted briefly before I returned to
Jitterbug. He was the only person I came in contact with during the entire Everglades stay.

Next morning we set sail for Brush Island, which lies beyond the Park boundary, just east of Goodland. With
a favorable breeze we made the 30 mile run in 7 hrs; in time to catch a Spanish mackerel for dinner. Once on
anchor, I deflated the kayak and stored it for the remainder of the trip.

We got an early start on Mar 25th to motor up the Marco River; definitely back in civilization here, with lots of
power boat traffic. We bypassed Marco Island and continued on to Naples City Marina where we rented a
slip for 2 nights @$45 per night. It had been 12 days since I had a real shower, so took advantage of the hot
water. There are several restaurants and stores located just outside the marina, and the downtown shopping
district is within (a long) walking distance; and easily reached with a bicycle. Naples appeared to me an
upscale community with an art deco flare. I caught up on email at the library, spent 2 mornings chatting with
locals on the free fishing pier, walked the beach, took long bike rides, and shopped in the Tin City mall
complex. This is a complete about-face from the Everglades experience, but a welcome change.

Tin City Mall
TinCityMall_17_-600x450.jpg

There is no ICW route north of Naples, so an open ocean (Gulf of Mexico) run of 25 miles is required. The
weather forecast was “iffy” at 15-20 mph but it allowed for a down wind run so we made a go of it with a
partially furled Genoa. The run took exactly 5 hrs, rounding into Carlos Pass through a set of breakers before
reaching the calm interior waters. The north side of the inlet is Ft Myers Beach and the south side Estero
Island, Lover’s Key State Park. There were many power boats anchored to the beach, so we raised the keel
and joined the crowd. People were very friendly and offered to keep an eye on Jitterbug while I took a long
walk up the beach to the concession stand. Upon returning, I double anchored for the night, and was later
joined by a host of fishermen who caught a variety of fish casting from shore: An enjoyable day in pleasant
company.

Lovers Key State Park
LoversKeyStatePark_18_-600x450.jpg

Fishermen and beach combers arrived early next morning (at daybreak) so I was ready for a full day of
sailing. However, the outboard motor carburetor kept flooding. I figured the problem to be with the check
valve so I drained the bowl and tried tapping the side to free it; no go. So, I swung Jitterbug around, stern to
shore, to remove and disassemble the carburetor. It was a tricky proposition because the power boat wakes
caused quite a rocking motion. Eventually progress was made and sure enough I found a small speck of dirt
in the check valve seat; reassembled everything and off we went: Never had a problem after that. With such
a late start, we only made 17 miles up San Carlos Pass before anchoring in a small cove just beyond Shell
Point. This being a Saturday night, the cove got a bit crowded and noisy.

On Mar 29th we motor sailed the remaining 14 miles to reach Ft Myers City Marina where I paid for 2 nights
dockage. It was somewhat disappointing to learn that center city had experienced a period of decline, but
was encouraging to see efforts at revitalization. There is a theater just across from the marina where I took in
the play, “Invitation to a Murder”, which was well performed by a small cast of dedicated actors. Next day I
bought an all-day bus pass ($2.50), loaded the bike aboard and rode over to Ft Myers Beach to peddle the 7
mile length of the island – both ways. This is a very popular destination and was crowded with tourists. I ate
lunch at Hooter’s because I love the shape of their burger buns. After that I caught the bus back to the
mainland and from there took another bike ride, this time to the Thomas Edison Museum which includes his
laboratory in much the same condition as he left it.

Thomas Edison’s laboratory
ThomasEdison_slaboratory_19_-600x450.jpg

Ft Myers is a gateway to the Okeechobee Waterway, which traverses the state, west to east, through a
series of rivers, canals, locks and of course Lake Okeechobee. It was originally constructed to improve
commerce and possibly aid military deployments. The west side begins with the Caloosahatchee River. I
caught a favorable tide which enabled us to cover 50 miles, through 2 locks and 2 bascule bridges, to anchor
just below Moore Haven. This was the first night where mosquitoes presented a REAL problem; I suppose
due to the fresh water.

April 1st began our 6th month of cruising. We navigated Moore Haven lock to enter Lake Okeechobee, which
is the second largest US lake contained within the borders of a single state. Because of the low water level,
the first few miles of “lake” was reduced to a narrow waterway with LOTS of alligators on both banks. We
motored through that stretch to reach Roland Martin’s Resort & Marina. Roland is a world famous bass
fisherman and many tournaments are held at this location. Weather forecast predicted gusty winds in heavy
thunderstorms, so I initially decided against making the 30 mile lake crossing. Instead, I spent a few hours
walking the nearby town of Clewiston, which is not much, and had lunch at Roland Martin’s. At 2pm I motored
out to the open lake for a look-see; the skies were clear and waters calm, so I decided to make the crossing.
It proved to be a wise decision, as quick passage was aided by favorable winds, and we reached the eastern
shore well before dark. It was early enough to make a Port Mayaka lock-through, but I elected to anchor
outside in an effort to avoid mosquitoes. This proved not to be a wise decision, as the winds picked up
during the night and Jitterbug took a real pounding. I would have gotten a better night’s sleep swatting
mosquitoes: Live and learn.

Port Mayaca lock
PortMayacalock_20_-600x450.jpg

On April 2nd we locked-through Port Mayaca early and recorded two numbers of note on this day: Jitterbug
achieved a single day mileage of 62; and the GPS odometer passed the 3,000 mile mark, ending the day at
3,033. This was made possible by a favorable tide and wind in the St Lucie River, and by putting in a long
day at the tiller. The upper St Lucie canal/river gets a bit monotonous, with only an occasional alligator
sighting to add interest, so we just kept going until we reached an anchorage near Ft Pierce Marina at 7:45
pm. Next day was another wind + tide gift, and we sailed 35 miles before resorting to partial motor power for
an additional 16 miles; a 51 mile total. The anchorage this night was just north of the bridge at Melbourne. In
the morning I tied off at the public dock for a visit to the library (right at dockside) and a walk through town; it
is a very convenient anchorage.

Shoreline near Ft Pierce
ShorelinenearFtPierce_21_-600x450.jpg

At this point Jitterbug was approximately 1,300 miles from her home port and the log book indicated that it
had taken 38 days to reach this position on the southern run. I felt I could make better time on the return trip
due to warmer weather, longer days, more experience at the helm and familiarity with the route. So I decided
to keep sailing north, for the time being at least. Jitterbug’s log book and chart notations were a BIG help in
navigation and anchorage selection. We made good time over the next several days, stopping at St.
Augustine for laundry, shower, bike ride and leg stretch before continuing on. All went well until an equipment
failure occurred while crossing Cumberland Sound during rough seas. I had already lowered the mainsail
and had the jib partially furled when we lost all steering control. Jitterbug took a few waves broadside (during
which time her captain wet his paints) before turning up into the wind, causing the jib to flap wildly in irons.
So I quickly furled sail (thank goodness for a furling jib) and looked aft to see the rudder foil twisted to the
point where it was above the water line, rendering it of no use. The only option was to start the motor and
use its tiller handle to steer, which was made easier because the extra long motor shaft put the tiller above
the rear deck. I was a very happy sailor when we finally rounded the point to enter the protected Brunswick
River and motor up to Brunswick Marina. The dock-master remembered Jitterbug and gave us a warm
welcome. We removed the damaged rudder and placed it on the floating dock to learn that the side plates
had sheared almost completely in half. It apparently had suffered previous stress fractures which gave way in
the heavy seas.

Damaged Rudder
Damagedrudder_22_-600x450.jpg

This was Thursday, April 9th, the day before Good Friday, so I had little hope of accomplishing any repairs
until at least the following Monday, and seriously contemplated ending the trip just there: But first I called
International Marine (the Potter people) located in California, and related the problem to Bill. It seems IM had
stopped using the wooden rudders years ago, but he still had a few of those “old plates” in stock (at a
nominal price) and would ship them UPS - Overnight Express if I was willing to pay the high shipping
expense. I agreed and he had someone package and deliver them to UPS within the hour, assuring their
delivery the next afternoon, on Good Friday none the less. Now that is service, by both IM and UPS. The old
plates had already been removed; the replacements quickly installed and I was able to re-join the northward
bound fleet by late that same afternoon.

Progress north went well after the rudder incident. I stayed at several of the same anchorages and spent
April 15th docked at Hazard Marina in Georgetown, SC for my hot shower treat. My birthday is April 19th, so I
rested a few days in Morehead City, NC. I had meet two very friendly sailboat cruisers, Gandolf and
DeGage’, who informed me of $10 dockage at the Sanitary Restaurant. It is centrally located, well protected,
and serves excellent food. We had dinner together the first night, after which the waitress brought out a
birthday cake; warmed my heart.

North Carolina scenery
NorthCarolinascenery_23_-600x450.jpg

The 3 of us played hop-scotch for the next several days, battling some rough seas in the Neuse and Alligator
Rivers. In fact, I cut the day short in the latter, docking at the Alligator River Marina to wait for the morning
calm. It was a good decision since dockage was only $1 per ft. The temperature dropped into the low 40’s,
but crossing Albemarle was much easier in calmer winds. It was about this time that I met Owl, a Catalina that
had been converted to look like a pirate ship. The make-shift sails rendered the boat so out of balance that
Jitterbug actually passed her; the only boat that we passed during the entire 6 month cruise.

The pirate ship Owl
ThepirateshipOwl_24_-600x450.jpg

By April 24th Jitterbug had entered the Dismal Swamp. On the trip down, the lockmaster had been very
hospitable, both during and after the lock-through. At the time, three of us went through the afternoon
opening and he suggested that we spend the night at the free docks located just beyond the lock. In the
morning he invited all of us to his office for free coffee and donuts, while giving a history of the canal, and
demonstrating how to blow a conch shell horn. When someone offered to pay for the refreshments, he told
them to just bring him a Bahamian conch shell on the way home. I had brought him such a shell, but this was
unfortunately his day off, so I left it at his office with a note attached.

Cruisers Gandolf and DeGage’ had taken the deeper Albemarle Canal route, but I met up with them again in
Norfolk, VA. They were anchored in the harbor and coaxed me to stay for a few days but I continued on,
taking advantage of the good weather to begin the long voyage up Chesapeake Bay. It was around this time
that the GPS odometer registered the 4,000 mile mark. That evening, while looking for an anchorage, I
spotted what appeared to be small island, or peninsula, but nothing showed on the paper chart or GPS map.
Upon closer observation I determined that it was a load of large dredging pipes; maybe 8 pipes, each a ¼
mile long, secured in a bundle. One end of the stack was floating on a barge while to other end was almost
submerged. This seemed a perfect wind block, so I motored to within 50yds on the leeward side and set the
anchor. Just after midnight I was awakened by a loud banging noise at the bow, as Jitterbug rocked in
moderate waves. My first thought was that the anchor (a Fortress FX-11) had broken loose and we drifted
ashore. But when I exited the cabin I saw that we were still the same distance from shore, but now tight
against the raft of pipes, which were beating against the bow with every wave. I was bewildered as to the
cause until I tried to free the anchor, at which point I realized what had happened: Only one end of the pipes
was anchored so when the wind and tide shifted, the whole load had swung around 45 degrees into
Jitterbug. The pressure on the anchor line was tremendous, as it was holding the boat and the entire load of
huge pipes against wind and tide. I started the motor, trying to push everything forward enough to slacken
the anchor line, but this just put more pressure on Jitterbug’s bow and increased the banging. I had to do
something(?) quick before the boat was badly damaged: Cut the line and loose everything? That’s just what I
was about to do when I thought to tie an empty water jug to the free end of the line in the hopes of retrieving
the gear later: I did so and re-anchored with the spare. In the morning, the pipes had swung even further,
completely over the water jug which popped up on the other side; and it was a simple matter to pick up the
entire rig, salvaging $200 worth of gear. Chalk one up for quick thinking. I was already impressed with the
holding power of the FX-11, but now have complete confidence in it.

Norfolk, VA
Norfolk_VA_25_-600x450.jpg

Two days later, on April 28th we were docked at Annapolis City Marina, just across from Ego Row, thus
named because of the mega yachts that tie up there during the day to visit center city. It is one of the nicest
stops we made on the entire trip: great restaurants, quaint shops, parks, a theater and of course any sailing
supply imaginable. If you can’t find your boating need in Annapolis, it just doesn’t exist. We stayed for 2
nights and enjoyed every moment, even through off & on light rain. The nasty weather gave me an excuse to
purchase a high quality, off-shore sailing jacket, which came in very handy over the next several days. I also
replaced Jitterbug’s bulkhead mounted compass, since it had leaked its liquid. The town was buzzing with
crew members preparing for the week long National J-Boat Races scheduled for that weekend; and of
course our men & women in blue attending the US Naval Academy could be seen everywhere. One rainy
evening I went to “Buddy’s Crabs & Ribs” where I spent 2 hrs tasting the various entries offered at the
seafood buffet. Consider Annapolis a must see destination.

Annapolis City Marina
AnapolisCityMarina_26_-600x450.jpg

Off & on rain continued for the remainder of the trip, so I hunkered down under the leaky Bimini top, wearing
the new offshore jacket to keep warm; and we put in long days at the tiller. On April 30th Jitterbug made 57
miles up the Chesapeake Bay to spend the night at Chesapeake City, where I enjoyed a gourmet meal at the
Bayard Restaurant. Next day’s travel was only 17 miles on the C & D Canal to Delaware City. That allowed
for an early (dawn) start the following morning in order to catch the out-going tide down Delaware Bay. The
strategy worked well and we stayed at the tiller until dusk enabling Jitterbug to log her longest day at 73
miles. At the Cape May Canal entrance, the New Jersey state line, 2 dolphins welcomed us home. We
anchored for the night near Stone Harbor, NJ.

It was still raw, rainy, cold weather on May 3rd when Jitterbug traveled the final miles through New Jersey’s
poorly maintained section of the ICW. We ran aground twice and had long waits at 2 draw bridges. The
inside route is not even an option for boats needing more than a 30’ mast clearance. We passed the Atlantic
City casinos by early afternoon and tied to our home dock a few hours later: The GPS odometer read 4,367
miles.

Atlantic City, NJ
AtlanticCity_NJ_27_-600x450.jpg

After a long, hot shower I slept in my own bed for the first time in 6 months. Jitterbug did not go sailing the
next day, she and her captain were content to recall fond memories. Next trip….????

“Given enough time, one can travel anywhere”.

John Depa
[email protected]

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I sure hope Oldyaker does not read this trip report , if he does he might not retire since retirement is so muck W**k while having some fun.
No where to go in particular , all the time to get there , then when you are there just have a ton of fun and move on to someplace else for more enjoyment. Hard work , trying to figure out where to go next. :lol: :lol: :lol: