The Great S.P. Rendezvous 2009 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Great S.P. Rendezvous 2009

islandpiper

OK guys, here's the opening post. As soon as I can get the yard picked up and a couple hours of sleep I'll drop some pictures and stories in here. Anyone who wants to do it first can have at it right away.

In short, this was a great event. Great weather, lots of great eats, the worlds best BOAT SCIENCE and lots of it......

More to come.

piper (yawning)

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Once again, friend Piper has given us a clear, concise and complete report. :lol:

Many thanks. Looking forward to additional snippets of information as they become available. Although I cannot see just what more could be said without simply repeating the oh so informative initial post. :mrgreen:

From the information above, I am once again dismayed that I was unable to attend.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
a Bald Cypress said:
Once again, friend Piper has given us a clear, concise and complete report. :lol:

Many thanks. Looking forward to additional snippets of information as they become available. Although I cannot see just what more could be said without simply repeating the oh so informative initial post. :mrgreen:

From the information above, I am once again dismayed that I was unable to attend.

Yep, almost like I was there. :lol:

DM

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
islandpiper said:
You guys.......i'm in "recovery mode".......cut me some slack, i'm still digesting all the good food. :D :D :D

piper

Piper is being modest. "Good food" does not do justice to the spread we had to choose from. Cheese-stuffed- bacon -wrapped grilled jalepenos , rpecot's great homemade salsa, smoked trout, creamy spinach dip on slices of french bread, and grilled crawfish and regular boudin, were just the appetizers. I'll let Piper fill in the details of the main courses, but the Bacon Explosion was insanely decatent! Y'all missed a great meal, not to mention all the Boat Science floating around.

Joey

islandpiper

The day started at five AM when i finally got out of bed and made the first pot of coffee. We had gotten over a foot of rain in the days before the gig, so I was pretty worried about the weather. It dawned sort of overcast and then brightened up. My yard was spongy, and luckily i had been able to arrange parking 200 yards away at a day care center. jdupre' arrived before eight, with ice, toys and his usual cheery attitude. Invite joey to everything, he is a lifesaver. By that time i had the fire in the smoker and five gulf trout enjoying the heat, along with some test stuffed jalepeno's. Next to arrive was Wannabe and Mrs. Bob.......he is a great helper, too, and she brought the best spinach dip i have ever had. It was tough, but she insisted that I share with the others. She brought a big bowl of great potato salad too. Chuck came and brought his over-built, Weighs-a-ton (TM) canoe and his matching camper trailer, dragging along behind his overworked Jeep. (more on that whole rig later). Then, the party was on.

By and by Rpecot, bearridge, Keith, Seedtick, Steve, Kayak Jack and some other interested locals all arrived. Dang, i hope i didn't leave any one off that list.....still pretty groggy here.

The groaning table had to make room for:

spinach dip in a big bread bowl
potato salad
roasted stuffed jalepenos
smoked Gulf trout
southern soo-shee
mexican sushi
brownies
smoked pulled pork
crawfish with potatoes/corn/onions/garlic/mushrooms
soda
coffee
beer
ice tea
chicken dark and dusky (a big surprise hit)
and the all important dish: Etcetera

The live music was provided by Amite River Revival, a husband and wife duo, who do a mix of folk/country/gospel that fit in real nice. Fun people who can talk firearms, music or bible verse with anyone and mean it. they are good friends and great musicians. I had made a big wooden cook's spoon from German Beech wood and we raffled that off for $1.00/chance to pay for their gas. Jdupre' won the raffle, and the spoon.

A local Mexican restaurant gave me an armload of really nice tee shirts to hand out, so everyone (but me) got a shirt. So, i guess, i've been there, done that, and missed the shirt!! :D

We were visited by Ian and Trey, two local high school guys who shoot archery, make knives and want to make pirogues. They are well on their way to being good men and later on, geezers. I think they'll join the forum here with us. Jim and Suzie visited too, as did several other friends from Diane's bank.

The state wide newspaper, the Baton Rouge Advocate came and interviewed Chuck and the early guys and took pics. When that is published I will post the link here. 'Bout time Chuck gets his 15-minutes of fame.

Have not loaded any pics yet.......stand by. We have lots, as do several other folks, showing all the guys, the boats, the food, etc.

Overall, the day ran from 5 AM till way after 10 PM for some of us. The gathering was over by about 7 PM, when jdupre' headed home and Kayak Jack found a comfy place in my LazyBoy recliner. Great gathering, of course. What else could it be with this great bunch of guys?? Believe me, it was a pleasure meeting all the old and new friends and shaking some hands for the first time, and it is an honor to provide this place and my kitchen for everyone's enjoyment. More later, as things come back into focus.

Piper

islandpiper

The show off table was outstanding as usual. In fact, Keith brought his own, just to share his fantastic library of photo albums. He as a cataloged collection of pics of his boats, louisiana history and other related subjects. I think everyone had a chance to see them and not nearly enough time to really digest them.

The other table had a nice Slavia air rifle of Bearridge's, one of a kind HANDCRAFTED knives by both jdupre' and wannabe. Amazing work, guys. There were many long bows and a recurve, a box of hand crafted arrows, a pellet carbine, leather quivers.......well lots of things that guys show and share. Jim brought some amazing carvings that he does from cottonwood bark, highly detailed and fun designs. He is an artist.

Wannabe had a table, set back out of view from the main road and showed us his collection of mechanical devices, some wooden handled, which are used to propel lead items at incredible velocity at selected target zones. They were made of various sorts of metals from steel to stainless steel, one with an optical system which enlarged the view of the target area. Fun stuff, thanks Bob.

Chuck's canoe is a beaut!! One of JEM designs canoes, chuck did a fine job building it. Truly, it weighs in about the same as the shadow off Keith's pirogue.

Keith and Seedtick brought a new pirogue, still under construction. the bottom was made from one amazing board of cypress!! It can't weight more than 100 pounds or so and is a great, historically correct boat which will please it's eventual owner for lifetimes!! Great work guys, you are what we aspire to be!!

Chuck's little pull behind camper was a treat to see. It weighs a mere 250 pounds, ready to roll and folds out in less than a minute. Inside is a bed, a flat floor, privacy and relaxation any place you can tow it. Thanks for bringing it , and showing it off!!

What did i forget?

piper

piper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
I can't add anything new to the kudos about the food, handiwork and fellowship - it was excellent, especially the bacon explosion

I would like to thank Piper and his bride for putting on the party - you have to host a party of this magnitude to appreciate the time and effort (and expense) that goes into making a gathering like this a success

thanks again Piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
seedtick said:
I'd like to thank Piper and his bride for putting on the party - you have to host a party of this magnitude to appreciate the time and effort (and expense) that goes into making a gathering like this a success

thanks again Piper

Well said and I agree 100%. Thank you Keith and Dianne.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Ya'll just can't imagine the food. WOW When I arrived the gracious host (Piper) shoved a tray at me of grinning smoked trout. It was great. Talking about food. Ya'll just wouldnt beleive it. The smoked stuffed jalapenos were outta sight. Sooo good. Seedtick brought several kinds of boudain. I still hav,nt figured which was my favorite. I liked em all. Thanks Seedtick. Party Boy (Repcot) does salsa justice. Sure was good. Guys, the Bacon Explosion just has to be experienced to beleive. Come to think of it, I wished I would have dug around in the crawdad boiling pot to see if I could mind a kitchen sink in there. If there wasn't one, then that's the only thing that wouldn't in there. Best crawdads I have ever ate. My wife made potatoe salad out of 5 lbs. of potatoes so you can imaging how much that was. One of Pipers friends brought about the same amount. Poor piper is going to be eating potatoe salas sandwitches for a month. If anybody wants some just go see Piper. Joey's wife sent a pan of brownies was a real hit. That girl knows how it's done. Ya just shoulda been there guys. More flavor than you could imagine in one day. Thanks Piper. It was a wonderful day.
Went and made myself hungry. Later
Bob

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I sure am sorry I had to leave early. Wish I was feeling better 'cause the food sure looked good. Glad to see everyone from last year and a few new faces.

Seems I picked up a bug on my night on the town. Hope I didn't get anyone sick. I've been layed up since the minute I got home. Looking forward to next year. Maybe I'll have a boat to show off by then :D

islandpiper

We are short some of the most prolific posters here: Chuck and Bearridge and TRR are out on the Brazos for a week or so. Kayak Jack is still traveling and will be for a couple of days. Hopefully they'll all chime in when they get back to their home 'puters.

Thanks for the back-slap guys. It is an honor to host this gig for all of you

piper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Keith,
Once again, thanks. You can't imagine how much Gay and I enjoyed that. What a good day. Meeting and visiting with some of the guys on here was great. Wish that more could of made the trip.
An observation. Don't know how many saw this. Setting. Sun is out and shining down. Jack is setting in a chair just outside the carport about in the middle half aslep if not compleately so. Just over from Jack on the east side of the carport are the musicans, He is playing the guitar and she is playing a dulcimer and singing very sweetly. There is the mumer of several conversations in the air.They finish their song and Piper walks in between jack and the musicans facing them with his back to Jack. Piper is a couple of feet from Jack. Piper has his pipes in the go position. Jack has no idea( as he is very relaxed). When Piper lights off the Bagpipes poor Jack comes about 2 feet out of the chair. I know this was witnessed by my wife but I don't know if any one else saw it. I am completely confident that Keith did not know that Jack was asleep.
Bob

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Wannabe said:
When Piper lights off the Bagpipes poor Jack comes about 2 feet out of the chair. I know this was witnessed by my wife but I don't know if any one else saw it. I am completely confident that Keith did not know that Jack was asleep.
Bob - I saw it too, and I gotta say that was a site to behold. I was impressed how fast Jack went from 0 to 60 when Keith started wailing. :lol:

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
just another real life example of the fine physical shape that Jack's in

a lesser man would never have been able to move that quickly

not sure but i think his secret diet regimen is brownies and beer