The Great S.P. Rendezvous 2009 | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Great S.P. Rendezvous 2009

keith

it been awhile since i did pictures so give me some time. this is kayak jack waiting for piper to playwith the band.

IMG_2191.jpg

this is seed tick with bearridge playing with the band,shennas dad and piper in the back ground.

IMG_2183.jpg

Piper playing the bagpipes for Jack

IMG_2194.jpg

Old Sparkey. Joe, Piper in back and Jdupre looking at homemade bows and knives and blow gun.

IMG_2168.jpg

islandpiper

OK, a few pics:

DSCF0034-3.jpg

Rpecot, Seedtick, Kayak Jack and Keith, enjoying the sunshine

DSCF0033-3.jpg

Another nice pirogue bt Keith and Seedtick

DSCF0031-3.jpg

Steve to the side, with Bearridge and Seedtick talking. That's the long and short of it.

And, just for the record, Bearridge talks just like he writes.

DSCF0030-2.jpg

The famous show off table with Chuck, Jim and Joey looking

DSCF0029-3.jpg

Joey, Jim and Kayak Jack, looking on while Joey drills blowgun darts into a target. Man, you are good joey!!

DSCF0028-3.jpg

Bearridge, Wannabe and Mrs. B planning ahead.

DSCF0026-4.jpg

Chucks sweet LIGHTWEIGHT JEM design canoe

DSCF0004.jpg

Beginning the BACON EXPLOSION

DSCF0005-2.jpg

That's two pounds of sausage on two pounds of bacon. Yum

DSCF0008-2.jpg

rolled up and ready to smoke.

DSCF0022-5.jpg

The Raffle Spoon

DSCF0024-4.jpg

Jackie and Greg about to start.

Dang.......no pictures of the crawfish, the pulled pork, or any other food......or the guys stuffing their pie-holes with it. Guess I was too busy eating to take pics.

piper

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
DSCF0004.jpg

From the picture, the recipe looks to be:
2 pounds bacon
2 pounds pork sausage
1 can cat food (secret food surprise that was rumored? :wink: :lol: )
1 can Vienna sausages
and a Slim Jim

All the pictures are great.

DM

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
OK, guys, if you have high cholesterol, look away. Was able to snap a pic of the Bacon Explosion before it vanished.

baconexpl.jpg

It was GOOOOOOOD! That's a fine handmade filet knife by Wannabe there on the plate.

We were honored by a reporter who showed up to get the story of the forum and the event. She is eating a new concoction made by Piper- a sushi type roll made of grits and viennies. Yum.

reporter.jpg

Left to right: Sparky, bearridge, reporter, Kayak Jack and Wannabe.

It's amazing the crowd a cute reporter will draw.

Joey

islandpiper

WHERE ARE MY MANNERS???!!!
I must say THANK YOU to all of you who attended the Rendezvous. Your contributions of cash, food, and running out to pick things up are priceless. The food you all brought fed lots of people and in some cases is still feeding the employees of Diane's bank. Russ, you get the award for Moxie, turning out even when you felt bad and bringing a ton of goodies, and a kettle and trays and chairs and tables!! You guys who slipped me cash.....well, I appreciate it, believe me. This looks like a regular picnic......can't cost too much, just some food and paper goods.....and charcoal, and wood and gas and water and electricity ......it sort of adds up. But, as i mentioned to several of you, it is my honor to be able to feed you and provide a place for you to hang out, even for a day. It isn't cheap for you all who attended either, in some cases several thousand miles of driving and time off work, and motel and meals expenses.

In all, it is about the most worthwhile thing i do all year, just getting to shake hands with you all. And the work and expense is dwarfed by the satisfaction of seeing everyone in person.

Thanks for making Rendezvous 2009 a big success.
Piper

keith

i tried this last night and lost it so we will try again. this will be the food section.
this is the crawfish

IMG_2188.jpg

this is the jalepenos, stuffed with cheese and bacon then smoked

IMG_2187.jpg

this is the bacon explosion going fast with the salsa on the side and the painted toes on the right

IMG_2186.jpg

this is the pulled pork

IMG_2189.jpg

this is the smoked gulf trout, potato salad, creamy spinach dip w/ bread

IMG_2178.jpg

wrhester

I've been following the preparations and talk with great envy. Just too much on my plate to make the trip, but I'll tell you, I wish I could have. Sounds like a great weekend with everything that makes one. So, the question is, what about next year? Same place, same time? I'll have less happening and would like to make that trip next year? Glad it went well.

islandpiper

And, aside from washing out the crawfish pots, one of the last official jobs was done today: I bought a nice collection of colorful cut flowers and a vase for the ladies who run the daycare center where we all parked. They were very happy (what woman doesn't like flowers?) and invited us to use the parking lot again next year.

So..for wrhester......sure, let's go for it. Don't have a date set yet. Let me get things put away here and I'll start thinking about it in a month or so.

piper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
DSCN0922.jpg

Piper just released an arrow and is looking to see where it landed.

"I shot an arrow into the air
And where it fell I know just where
Though I aimed at a buck who stood afar
I pearced the radiator of my car'

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

That wuz a fine party. Russell mite have been a bit under the weather, but he worked danged hard cookin' crawdads 'n helpin' out with the food. Az ya seen, he aint long in the tooth yet. I seen piper blow that pipe that made Truthful Jack jump outta whatever dream he wuz deep in. There wuz a heap a folks there when I finally made it down there. I never seen a half Jap, half Mexican before. He partnered up with a fine lookin' American gal, so if they made any kids, they likely kin sign up in the census in three 'er four boxes. [chuckle]

piper haz near bout az good a woman az ya kin git these days. She put up with more that day than most women put up with in two months....mebbe five. There wuz a few folks I am sorry I didnt go up ta 'n give a laurel 'n hardy "howdy". It wuz a big time....like at the circus. Them high school boys aged ten years that day. Joey iz tough 'n wirey....no wonder he kin stand tall in a pirogue 'n shoot them fish with a bow 'n arrow. The edge on hiz knives kin shave yer beard.....if ya like that kinda stuff. [grin]

Our friends seedtick 'n Keith iz Butch Cassidy 'n Sundance. I went thru most of the notebooks fulla pichurs 'n news tales bout their boat buildin'. [The ones they brung.] I aimed ta slink inta that band 'n try ta see if my fingers mite play the Martin guitar that fella wuz playin', but Sheena's Dad beat me ta it. He iz a purty fair picker hizownself....even done some singin'. I reckon it iz better I got more sense then Cassius Clay.....no rope a dope comeback fer me. Ole Steve iz headed fer Moscow, Idaho where he come by a honest job. He tole me that the folks here meant a heap when he wuz in hiz sorrowful days. It wuz hard ta know what ta say when we both went thru hell, but we made it out [so far] while it come down so danged hard on him. Ole Texas River Rat tole me how much he iz pullin' fer Steve, cuz everythin' must look like up after ya haz been down that long.

Truthful Jack claims he made a pot fulla chicken. I ate some of it. It wuz tasty, so I aint sho he wuz the one who made it.....mebbe one of them Carols? I hope I dont mix that party with a Texas 'er Florida expedishun next year. I aim ta bring Miz Bear so ya'll kin see my keel. The High Sheriff knows.

When Keith 'n seedtick set out fer home, I followed 'em. Jest az we come off the I-55 highroad 'n come ta the I-12 highroad, it dawned on me I had fergot ta call my boss 'n tell her I made it down there. I pulled out my cellularized telephone 'n went ta punchin' numbers. First off, my speed dial wuz like that space ship that blew up all over Florida....all wrong, nuthin' worked, then I got my seein' glasses on [highroad cars 'n trucks come at ya fast] so I kin read the words on it.

Good thing wuz Keith drives like a turtle. Dont bother him if folks aim ta drive a hunerd....he drove 50....even on the highroads....jest like the High Sheriff in hiz golden Jeep. By 'n by I got my glasses switched out, called Miz Bear 'n tole her I fergot ta call when I made it ta Ponchatoula. She figgered I fergot ta call. She didnt even chew on my ass. Man did I git lucky that day I seen her 'n made the fella drive round the block ta git anuther look. Sure....it wuz them blue jeans that grabbed my eye. Opps......she reads this stuff.....claims she will jump in 'n set ya'll straight if I git ta wanderin' frum the truthful tales.

When I made it ta Texas, I tole 'em they missed a fine shindig. They all aim ta come next time. I am plumb wore out. I slept good in Shreveport, dozed off twice 'n danged near missed all the bagels, coffee 'n fix yer own vittles. I made it home bout lunch time. I been dryin' wet gear 'n shakin' sand outta my bags. I reckon I will drive ta the quarter car wash tomorrow ta git that Texas mud off my canoe.

regards
bearridge

I know not what others may choose but, as for me, give me liberty or give me death. Patrick Henry

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
keith, the wood was given to me and the guy didn't know what it was. Closest I could guess by comparing on the net is goncalo alves. Piper thinks maybe some kind of rosewood.

The fur quiver is javelina trimmed in mink. The javelina was one of my bow kills and I tanned the mink hide. Mink adds a touch of class, aye?

islandpiper

Mr Wa-nabe, we need to work on your picture posting......my magnifier isn't always close by.

This game is a very old one, played by the French Voyageurs, according to Northern legend. It is played either on split log sections or on the ends of stumps. the stump version is mush rougher, but these were rough men. A game of finesse, sort of poker with a shared rope.

Not having a log section to split, and since I did have some leftover plywood from a remodeling job, I made some arc'ed sections, and some fillers and screwed them together. I used a bucket end to make the first one, and quickly sawed out the rest with the bandsaw based on the first one. Note: the closer you get to a HALF-CIRCLE the harder it is to play. THE SHALLOWER the section, the easier it is to play. Somewhere in between makes it right.

The rope needs to be big enough to hang on to, smooth enough that tender hands, like children or politicians won't be injured if it runs between their fingers quickly. Rough old sisal rope is not good for this.

Have fun......oh, the name. It was just known as "PULL THE ROPE" up north. Funny name since one thing the players seldom do is actually PULL the rope.

piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I took on the piper. I lost near bout ever time. He burned my hand first. What a fun game! I am glad Wannabe San posted that pichur. When I wuz on the Brazos, I cast my mind back there ta that game 'n wondered if ya got some cheap tequila, lemons 'n salt, then played that log roller game? Winner got ta salt the crook of hiz thumb with salt, douse a ounce of poor boy cactus juice, then suck on the lemon? Loser heads ta the end of the line.

Mebbe when they have the Olympics in Baton Rogue 'er Tiajuana we kin send a geezer team.....dressed up like that Jamaican logue team?

I reckon I better practice some. [grin]

regards
bearridge

ps Ya dont take no salt 'er lemon with good tequila.

It's a little early in the day to go wigglin' yer bean, aint it Jake? Augustus McCrae

islandpiper

Diane and I thought for a while that you could make the logs out of pretty plastic, include a neon colored rope and call it "Cosmic Balance" or something and sell a million of them. 'Course, when I get to Heaven there'd be a bunch of really tough French Canadian Voyageurs really PO"d at me for demeaning their game.

It is about the most fun that a mixed age group can have with two chunks of firewood and a two dollar rope.

piper

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
O.K.

There is going to have to be a full description and Pics of this game posted.

I have searched the internet and can find no source of information.

Y'all done got me courious.