The horror!! | SouthernPaddler.com

The horror!!

islandpiper

pork sausage

I've been making home made pork sausage lately. Some i leave bulk and wrap it up in "logs" of about a pound and freeze it. Some i have been making into breakfast link sort of sausage. Both are good. And.....EASY......which is what i like. My trusty old Kitchen Aide Mixer grinds it all and then makes the links, too.

One other thing I've been doing is canning patties. In straight walled canning jars, drop a square of parchment paper, then a gob of bulk sausage and pat that down, full width in the jar with the end of a big dowel. Then, another square of parchment, and more sausage, etc.

When the jar is full to the regular headspace level, put on the seals and process at 10 pounds for 90 minutes. The sausage cooks and stays in patties and most of the fat cooks off. Then, when you open the jar, the patties plop out and can be grilled or fried.

It may be good to know how to make sausage as time goes on. And, pork isn't the only thing you can use.
Piper

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Spam is made from pork, the same commodity that is predicted to be in short supply....

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Wellllllll ..... some of it is probably pork. Or, some part of a pig-like animal. The rest is Mystery Meat.

Jack you need to read the label.

Spam (shortened from spiced ham)[1] is a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation, first introduced in 1937. The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are chopped pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, and sodium nitrite as a preservative.

islandpiper

OK, listen up: Have you seen the ads AGAINST anything with high-fructose corn syrup? to steer you away from corn products.

Have you seen the increase in price of anything containing corn or corn flour or corn starch or corn syrup?

Have you noticed that corn fed meats have been getting very high priced?

Have you noticed that many folks coming from Mexico complain that corn tortillas are getting very high priced?

Now a "bacon shortage".......

Here's the deal, corn is being sent to the ethanol plants, to add to gasoline because it makes the Resident feel good. The side effect is that immigration is doubling every year or so......and that makes the Resident feel good. And, people will be forced to quit eating pork, which makes the Resident feel good.

NOBAMA 2012

end of rant. piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
And, Piper San, from what I read, it takes more energy to make the ethanol to go into gasoline that what it produces. Alcohol from sugar cane produces more energy than what is required to make it. No scientific sense, just like global warming.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
Jack you need to read the label.

Spam (shortened from spiced ham)[1] is a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation, first introduced in 1937. The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are chopped pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, and sodium nitrite as a preservative.
And, Chuck, you need to read the label on stuff like hotdogs, viennie snausages, and bologna. Fat and cereal are the least-worst ingredients. HINT: They don't put good meat into cans or links. Good meat is sold whole, with no need to disguise it.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
Kayak Jack said:
And, Piper San, from what I read, it takes more energy to make the ethanol to go into gasoline that what it produces. Alcohol from sugar cane produces more energy than what is required to make it. No scientific sense, just like global warming.
This is one of the big faculties presented by big oil, do you really think you can drill a well ,pump it transport it and refine it cheaper. it takes more energy to make the ethanol and gasoline than the gallons it produces
Ron