Things are coming together! **FINISHED** Lots of pics | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Things are coming together! **FINISHED** Lots of pics

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Glenn,

Yer pichurs make me wanna paddle that boat. It looks a bit longer than some of the others. How much does it weigh?

respectfully
bearridge

Our government... teaches the whole people by its example. If the government becomes the lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. Louis D. Brandeis

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
I just weighed it and it came in at 50lbs. The boat is 15' 4" on top and 13' 4" on the bottom.

I was shooting for 14' on top so I guess I measure wrong somewhere but it should make the boat a little more stable.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I sure do like the wood you used , it has a lot of character to it , adds a lot to the overall looks of the pirogue. That is the good thing about making them , they all have there own character , unlike store bought boats.

After about three days it could be paddled and about 30 days later , some varnish. This will let the epoxy totally cure.

Remember it will have to be sanded before the varnish goes on. That does several things , gets rid of any oils on it , roughs up the epoxy so the varnish has some tooth to grasp and most of all , it lets you see where you have varnished it.

Chuck.

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
I had to go thourgh about 30 sheets of plywood to find the two sheets I used from Home Depot. I went to Lowes and their Luan was horrable so I went back to Home Depot and got the 2 I had set aside.

The boat turned out better than I thought it would and after breaking the center rib I was just about ready to toss the whole thing to the fire.

But I rebuilt the rib and fixed the problem that caused the breakage I.E. to big of outer rub rail... :roll:

It has been 2 days since the last coat of Epoxy/Graphite went on so I might take it out Saturday fishing if the rain holds off.

And of course I will take plenty of on water pictures.... :wink:

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Glen that is one sweet looking boat! You have outdone yourself my man. Like Chuck said the wood you used realy looks good especially the knotty inside, and the rails have a greenish hue to them that looks neat as heck.

I hope your first wetting is soon and all goes well. Thanks for sharing. Oh, Don't forget the report on the maiden voyage. Good luck :D

Chad

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
cctyer said:
Glen that is one sweet looking boat! You have outdone yourself my man. Like Chuck said the wood you used realy looks good especially the knotty inside, and the rails have a greenish hue to them that looks neat as heck.

I hope your first wetting is soon and all goes well. Thanks for sharing. Oh, Don't forget the report on the maiden voyage. Good luck :D

Chad

Yeah the "Greenish Hue" is call Pressure Treated Wood :lol:

Thanks for all the nice comments :D

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
TradGlenn

Great job! You done good!

Next time anyone ask about the greenish rub rail, tell 'em it's an exotic import that you had shipped over just for this build. Maybe some kind of nearly extinct hardwood, the last of only two trees left in the entire world.

I love the way you brought the graphite up at the ends! Looks like you're ready to ram something.

I'm holding off on doing the graphite bottom until I've had the boat in the water a few times. I wanted to try it as is, before deciding if I want to add a keel runner to the bottom to improve tracking. (I've now decided to add that piece.)

If you don't mind, I want to steal that graphite up the stem & stern idea of yours. (If you do mind, I'll try to remember not to tell you about it :lol: )

Again, really nice!!!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
FlaMike said:
Next time anyone ask about the greenish rub rail, tell 'em it's an exotic import that you had shipped over just for this build. Maybe some kind of nearly extinct hardwood, the last of only two trees left in the entire world.
When Mike first come here, he wuz honest 'n truthful az the day iz wide.....like Davy Crockett (but without the stylish headgear). Now ya'll see what readin' too much horse droppings will do ta ya?

We dont call him Truthful Jack fer nuthin'. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But Truthful Jack aint the only one.....ya hear that Chuck 'n oldyaker......piper? When I joined up I had a reglar job, a paycheck, two injun reservations, a herd of bone in rib eye, caught fish 'n drank fine wine. Now all I have iz this thermos.....'n some low life pals who set in the alley all day with a cravin' fer Sterno. :cry: :cry: :cry:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
Now all I have iz this thermos.....'n some low life pals who set in the alley all day with a cravin' fer Sterno.

The thermos...smartest invention ever conjured up by man! It knows when to keep hot stuff hot....it know when to keep cold stuff cold! How does it know?

Yep Brr'r Bear.....Mike is hitt'n new lows.....six more months on this forum.....he'll be a Southern Lawyer! :mrgreen:

Can Trad'n Glenn be far behind? :wink: