Thoughts? | SouthernPaddler.com

Thoughts?

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
I almost bought those plans. Instead I had him design me the same hull, just 3 feet longer. Planning on putting a ten horse on it and trailering. Now with gas prices,and the fact that I traded my truck in on a dinky little car. I am rethinking and may go back to that design. Or John Redmonds whisp.or, who knows... Looking for a boat for trips down into the ten thousand islands in SW Florida

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It looks like what we call a Skip Jack which is used for commercial fishing since they have to be out on the water in all sorts of weather , not just on nice days.

The Skip Jack they use is wider in the transom and will take a very large outboard motor. It is one boat that is almost indestructible , guess that is why the commercial guys like them. It is made from several layers of glass.

This one you are asking about , made from wood and narrower , looks like it would be a good boat for recreational use with a small outboard on it.
If I was into kicker boats ( motorised ones) it would be high on my consideration list.

Chuck.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Hmm, you're still not seeing what I'm seeing though. I have the plans and am likely to use an electric motor.
The combination of these four pictures is making me think twice about it. I was originally attracted to the lines of this boat.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
That's exactly what I was thinking Jack. I'm now wondering if this boat will be stable and track ok with one person. Flat bottom might slide about a bit, even with a lectric rather than a noisy engine. Seems a waste of a pretty bow unless heavily weighted at the front end. Battery at the bow would take care of a little bit, but would still need more. I tend to fish/paddle alone more often than not. Mebbe that would have to change with this boat.
Dave, thats a conclusion I've already made having asked these guys opinion of 4mm and 6mm. Rather than the 6 & 9 mm called for. Sposed to come in at about 88lb with heavier wood. Would be nice to take fifteen to twenty lbs off've it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A thin keel strip down the center would cure the skidding. To me, it looks too thin or too long to handle well in rough waters. But, Chuck says that commercial fishermen take them out in all weathers, so I may well be missing something here.

A battery clear to the front end will give some line loss of current on that long of a cable, I think.

Not knowing your waters, I've hit a dead end. Other, more knowledgeable folks can advise you better.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
But, Chuck says that commercial fishermen take them out in all weathers, so I may well be missing something here.

The Skip Jack the commerical boys use is almost 7 feet across at the stern. It is a wide boat starting from the bow and tapering back. The skip jack has about the same rocker in it as this one , high in the bow for cutting the waves and taking on rough water.
Plus some of the guys run motors in the 200 hp range.

Going by the looks of this one it has the lines of the skip jack but the width of the old Grumman Sport Canoe , the square stern one a person could put a small motor on. Both good boats.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The two classes of boats sound seriously different to me.

John. if you're going to shallow waters, stick with a flat bottom. If you're going to water with serious waves, get a rounded bottom boat.

If you're going fishign with Chucky, take lots of Viennie snausages and Ritz crackers. the poor boy is nearly skin and bones.

dawallace45

John

I figure with my weight that the front is going to sit high no matter what I do and a bit of playing around with gear and battery placement is going to be called for , or on the other hand I could just use my wife for a counter weight , I would definitely be putting a keelson on it to help with tracking , I'm still kicking my self for not putting one on my mill creek , if your going to be using the boat around Deception Bay or up the passage then a keelson is a must as the winds can change around a fair bit and you will need all the help you can get with tracking ,

Would be a fantastic boat to fish up Ningi Creek with , trolling a lure up the creeks behind that boat with a electric motor should be very productive , lots of very good flathead around there , is also some quite good Mangrove jacks on many of the snags

When I first looked at that boat I thought it looked like a 19-20 ft Freight canoe with a end cut off , just the sort of boat I've wanted for some time

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day John,

I haven't replied to this thread before because I just wanted to see where it headed.

I too have been coming back to this boat, ever since I first saw it.

I think it could be an ideal set up if you are planning on using it in the Pumicestone Passage - Ningi creek area. There is nothing that states that you need to sit right at the stern on the boat while driving her. Move your seating forward to get proper trim while travelling and extend your steering and throttle controls to suit.

I would also be considering building with thinner ply abd adding a smallish keel and probably a thin runner on either side of the keel, about half way out to the sides. This will stiffen the bottom, reduce wind-drift and also act as sort of rubbing boards for all the sand and rocks in your area.

For what my opinion might be worth, I think this design is ideal for the flats in your area and is well worth building. 8)

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
This thread is padding out quite nicely fellas. I'd almost talked myself out of building this having already bought the plans, then noticed the height of the bow with one person aboard.
I'll throw another variable into it. A side mounted motor would mean I could put the motor further forward. Motor weighs about 13 kg which is 28-9lbs. Is the boat wide enough to spread the weight, battery one side motor the other? Could the rounded bottom pose an problem with weight spread like that? My first thought was the length of the motor with its main weight at the bottom might act like a penulum and help keep things upright? Does anyone have any thoughts on side mounted motors?
I would still retain the option of putting the motor on the transom with a passenger onboard.
Mick and Jack thanks for the keel edgerunners Love that idea for tracking and stiffness. Two birds/one stone.
Thanks fellas keep up the good work.:)
Dave, I also thought about using wife as a counterweight. But she don't like boats so I'd have to tie her up first (probably gag her as well) I figured if I posted that on here I might be breaking some law or other.
Regards John.

dawallace45

John

Don't worry , it water police or fisheries stop you and ask why your wife is tied up and gagged just tell them it's because you wanted to make sure she was safe and couldn't fall overboard and the gag is to stop her making too much noise and scaring the fish , most of those guys are fishermen too so you should get away with it .

As Mick said you don't need to sit right in the back , the only thing I worry about with the electric motor is that most of them don't have a automatic tilt if you run aground , have thought about having a hinged mounting block on the transom , need to think on it some more ,

David