Took A Hike Up In The Mountains Today | SouthernPaddler.com

Took A Hike Up In The Mountains Today

Steve

Today, Susie, my new girlfriend, and I took off for the mountains. She had a place in mind she wanted to show me so I let her do the driving. She took me up what the locals here call hte backside of Moscow Mountain. When we got up there, it wasn't long before I was cussin' myself for not bringing my gold pan and other gear with me. . . but then, again, that water was mighty cold. What Susie had wanted me to see, she wasn't able to show me, though. There are two very old pine trees up there that folks 'round here call 'Grandfather' and 'Grandmother". She was disapointed that we couldn't get to them, what with all the snow still up at that elevation. But we went ahead and went hiking off into the areas that weren't all covered with that white icy stuff. Along an old loggin' road, we ran across a whole variety of tracks and scat for turkey (unseen today but definitely heard), deer, elk (some huge tracks for the elk), bear (have heard that black bear sometimes get to be a nuisance up here). I also saw alot of dog tracks, at first I thought they were just someone's pet dog, but Susie recognized the tracks. . .it's her job to know this stuff. . . they were wolf tracks. (Idaho is awaiting word that the wolf is off the endangered species list. There seem to be so many here, that Idaho has submitted management guidelines for harvesting wolves in controlled hunts as a big game animal.) And, she spotted mountain lion tracks. Not having a gun with us, she was getting nervous about being where we were so we headed back to the car. She was fine until she saw the cat tracks although the wolf tracks made her a tad skittish, too.
All in all, what with the wildlife around here, and the paddlin' that is available (both floatin' and fast running for you fans of bouncing yer boats off rocks and such.... :D ) I think there may be the makin' for some weeklong adventures and then some if a feller adds in the prospectin' :D . . . . Maybe even a week long Rendevous, sometime . . .

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm OK with wolves. But a black bear in early spring (hungry from hibernation, and we have "L U N C H" written across our chest and back) is not good. A mountain lion is bad any time of year. The first time you know they're there, is when the fangs go into the back of your neck.

They attack like the Red Baron used to say. "The first time your enemy should know you're there, is when little holes are walking across his wing, approaching his cockpit."